Hi from NorCal

More
16 Jan 2014 21:35 - 16 Jan 2014 21:42 #618909 by RiderRandy
Hi from NorCal was created by RiderRandy
Hi all,

I just got into motorcycles and am starting with a vintage japanese one. :laugh: I was given a 1979 Kz400 Ltd about 6 months ago. In the meantime I have gotten my class m permit, and got the bike running after it was sitting for about 20 years.

I have a background in manufacturing with over 10 years experience CNC machinist. B)

The bike still needs a lot of work, and it is keeping me busy. :evil:

This board is a great resources. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

79 Kz400 Ltd.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2014 21:42 by RiderRandy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2014 21:37 - 16 Jan 2014 21:37 #618910 by RiderRandy
Replied by RiderRandy on topic Hi from NorCal

Attachment IMG_20130922_170429.jpg not found

This is when I picked er up

79 Kz400 Ltd.
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Jan 2014 21:37 by RiderRandy.

More
16 Jan 2014 21:41 - 16 Jan 2014 21:42 #618911 by RiderRandy

Attachment IMG_20140116_200511.jpg not found

Just got it to fire up and idle tonight.

79 Kz400 Ltd.
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Jan 2014 21:42 by RiderRandy.

More
17 Jan 2014 07:21 #618941 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Hi from NorCal
Welcome aboard and congrats on getting her running after she sat for so long! Here's some info you may find helpful in maintaining the KZ. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/589649-...r-savannah-ga#594587

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
17 Jan 2014 09:16 #618959 by RiderRandy
Thanks 650ed! :)

I was just reading about the JIS screws :pinch:
I already replaced a few of them with socket head cap screws after destroying them, :huh:
Now I know :blush:

79 Kz400 Ltd.

More
17 Jan 2014 09:55 #618962 by hellboy7
Replied by hellboy7 on topic Hi from NorCal
Nice! A job doing CNC machinery... must be nice. This shouldn't be any problem for you then... you'll be able to make everything you need :P

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
17 Jan 2014 12:15 #618977 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic Hi from NorCal
Welcome RR and wish you the best on your rejuvination or restore project. The KZ 400 is a great bike to get started on. You may have already taken care of many refurbish items. Here is my short list of suggestions:

-Oil Change
- New Spark Plugs
-New Air Filter
-New Tires
-Clean Carbs
-Clean Inside of Fuel Tank
-New Fuel Line with Inline Filter
-New Drive Chain
-Check Front Brake Caliper for any sticking. If sticking then use that manual on your shop floor.
-New Front Brake Pads and Rear Brake Shoes,
-Check All Bearings especially the steering head. I would also check both wheel bearings and at very least re-pack with new waterproof grease.
-Check Fuse Box and replace old fuses plus carry spares.
OK, I will stop there! :blink: No need to scare you off! :laugh: My rule of thumb is take care of the functional parts first then you can spiff if desired. AND, Remember to just enjoy the experience.

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
17 Jan 2014 15:01 #619000 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Hi from NorCal
Welcome to the forum from another NORCAL denizen! :lol: You can't go wrong with any of the old Kawasakis, or the advice received on this forum! See you on the road. Paul

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD
The following user(s) said Thank You: RiderRandy

More
17 Jan 2014 15:02 #619001 by RiderRandy
Its been a decent career thus far. I paid my dues deburring, manual machines, and went to the community college. Now I run some really high end equipment, 6 axis mill turn, high speed vertical mills, and my nitch is CNC swiss style screw machines.

I am not a professional mechanic, but I have always had more time than money, so repairing my own vehicles has always been the deal. It just takes me twice as long as. ;)

79 Kz400 Ltd.

More
17 Jan 2014 15:17 #619003 by RiderRandy
Thanks Forrest,

I have always been a gear head, and my previous project was a 1975 Porsche 914, so I don't think you could possibly scare me off, after I sorted through that thing, and parts for these bikes seem to be readily available and relatively cheap. ;)

First thing I did was pull the tank off and pressure wash the inside, new petcock, new fuel lines and filter.
After a new battery, next thing I did was the entire ignition system. Modern 4ohm coil (had to drill a hole in the mount to go from 300mm bolt spacing to 250mm, already getting lighter :woohoo: ), points, condenser, and plugs. Set point gap and timing static.
After that, it still didn't start, so I pulled the carbs. One primary and one secondary jet were clogged, the needle valves and floats were stuck, but nothing was worn out, so I just cleaned it up, set the float needle depth, and bolted er back on. In hindsight, I forgot the slow jets (which are for idle or de-acceleration?), Didn't start till I got new intake tubes sealed up, then I could start setting timing dynamic with a strobe light.

Now the plan is to sort through the suspension and brakes next. Rear brake seems good, but front brake master cylinder is froze up. I plan to open up that master cylinder and work some fluid (DOT3?) in there to see if I can get it freed up before I shell out more dough($$$) on a new one it may not need.
I plan to rebuild the stock front fork myself.
For rear shocks I am thinking about Monza part 06-3647, but I hear that its got a gnarly spring rate. I am 180lbs(170lbs) and no passengers. Any chance anyone know if there is a spring with less load that can be swapped out, at or around the same price range? I don't want to spend too much $$$ on Progressives suspension yet.

A new drive chain and bearings are in the cards too... :silly:

79 Kz400 Ltd.

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
17 Jan 2014 16:13 - 17 Jan 2014 16:15 #619013 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic Hi from NorCal
You are welcome. Your further details paints a rosy picture for this old KZ of yours. You asked about Dot3 fluid. Yes, that should work. However, the master cylinder may be in need of rebuilding. I did this to my KZ650. My Kawi dealer was able to order a master cyclinder rebuild kit for me. Parts should be available for you. It just takes time along with some special tools such as a reversable pair of circlip pliers for removing and replacing fussy little retaining rings. Suspension is an area that I have not cut cost corners on. I went with full replacement Works Performance shocks. They make Progressives seem reasonably priced. So you see, I am not as familiar with spring replacments. Maybe someone else will pipe up with suspension tips and sources. You are off to a great start!

BTW, This past October, I drove a new Porsche 911 Carrera from the Porsche factory in Stuttgart to out in and around the Black Forest. Those cars are amazing in their home enviroment. Do you still have the 914?

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Last edit: 17 Jan 2014 16:15 by Forrest.

More
17 Jan 2014 18:23 #619035 by RiderRandy

Forrest wrote: Your further details paints a rosy picture for this old KZ of yours.

That's ok, so far it's been keeping me out of trouble. Suppose I have a very methodical approach to things. :blink:

Forrest wrote: You asked about Dot3 fluid. Yes, that should work. However, the master cylinder may be in need of rebuilding. I did this to my KZ650. My Kawi dealer was able to order a master cyclinder rebuild kit for me. Parts should be available for you. It just takes time along with some special tools such as a reversable pair of circlip pliers for removing and replacing fussy little retaining rings.

Good call. Will do.

Forrest wrote: Suspension is an area that I have not cut cost corners on. I went with full replacement Works Performance shocks. They make Progressives seem reasonably priced. So you see, I am not as familiar with spring replacments. Maybe someone else will pipe up with suspension tips and sources. You are off to a great start!

Everything is safety with these things so yeah, at least with Progressives I can choose the spring rate. They recommend 12-1207B with a PS03-1367C which is 94/140lbs.

Forrest wrote: BTW, This past October, I drove a new Porsche 911 Carrera from the Porsche factory in Stuttgart to out in and around the Black Forest. Those cars are amazing in their home environment. Do you still have the 914?

Nope, sold the 914 when I was going to school. Probably shouldn't have as they are getting even harder to come by, without having to fix unibody. :( Fun cars, way ahead of their time, suspension/weight distribution, and I live near some twisty back-roads, but power to weight rules, and I have a motorcycle now. :ohmy:

79 Kz400 Ltd.