Hi from NorCal

More
08 Jun 2014 11:03 #635779 by RiderRandy
Replied by RiderRandy on topic Hi from NorCal
I just ordered a couple sheets of 1/8" thk black abs, some cement, and a foam filter for a shop vac or something. :whistle: Going to make a box aprox, 5"x2.5"x5.5", with two 2" dia holes on the end, and stuff it with the foam. Hopefully that missing piece will get me closer to the stock intake. I've seen some goofy stuff online, and with some luck this will be a cheap, simple solution, as opposed to pods that will never work with the carbs that I have.
I will let ya all know how it looks and whether it runs better. ;)

79 Kz400 Ltd.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
11 Jun 2014 13:01 #636179 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic Hi from NorCal
Good luck with your custom airbox mod Randy. If that doesn't work, the $89 for the part on Ebay may not be such a bad deal if it saves you mucho time and money. BTW, you may want to participate in the KZ Rider Relay that will be coming through your area soon. Check it out >>> kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/593852...outh-west-leg#636178

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
11 Jun 2014 14:07 #636189 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Hi from NorCal
Randy,
We are like neighbors! if you're interested in this relay ride, I could meet you in Antioch, Brentwood or Pittsburg with the flag some coming weekend. The trip to Lassen was epic, but this trip would be just a cruise! Paul

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
18 Jun 2014 13:14 #637092 by RiderRandy
The air-box is just about done. It is all glued together and I ran a bead of RTV inside just to make sure, because I am trying to decrease air flow. Hopefully I can slap a foam filter in there this evening, button it back up, and give 'er a go.

Unfortunately I won't be ready to participate in the relay, although it's obviously a really cool idea, and a great way to meet other Kawi enthusiasts.

Basically the only thing holding me back is the revs drop low and the motor dies. :S No fun kicking to start a bunch of times out on a cruise. hoping the air-box will richen things up.

Thanks,
RR

79 Kz400 Ltd.

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
20 Jun 2014 09:14 #637273 by Forrest
Sounds like you may have a carbuerator or even a pilot jet clogged. Air box leaking can be the cuprit too. I am no carb expert. I suggest posting up your own new thread in the Carburetor sub forum of the Technical section. You will get more attention than in this thread.

Don't give up Randy! You can trouble shoot your problem and before you know it have a consistantly running bike. Would love to see you enjoying the ride & meet up with others, maybe even help relay The KZ Rider Flag! B)

More
23 Jun 2014 15:56 - 23 Jun 2014 15:59 #637745 by RiderRandy
Over the weekend I finished up the air box, put it on, loaded a filter, and it is running differently now. Once I got on it, I realized that it is certainly running rich, too much restriction, a few backfires and no power.
I think now, the guy jetted the carbs for only having a partial airbox, maybe he thought more air more fuel more power, but I just want to get it tuned right. I now have a rebuild kit, hopefully the right one, and a .011-.060 pin gauge set, so I will pull the carbs, again, :whistle: check the current jet hole size, against the new set that I got, and try the new set.
Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I am confident that once I iron out this little problem with the carbs, everything else is tits (suspension, brakes, ignition is all tip top), than I will have a bullet proof scooter. B)

79 Kz400 Ltd.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2014 15:59 by RiderRandy.

More
21 Feb 2016 19:11 - 21 Feb 2016 20:53 #711893 by RiderRandy
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've posted anything about the bike, so I figure I'd give an update since this place has been such a great resource and a great introduction to getting me up and riding on my first bike.
Obviously I have to do everything the hard way. As you may already know, I got this bike from a buddy of mine, and it was looking sad with no paper work. Good news is I got the lien sale completed, and she is officially mine, with new plates, registration, title all in my name. I have insurance as well too, but only renewed my permit this year, as I still have to take the CA motorcycle safety course to get my license. I'm fine with no freeway, passengers or night time cruising, for now.
Getting ready for summer riding.
Recently I adjusted the cam chain tension(made the plunger flush at full retract), valve clearance (.007"-.009"). I had to open up the clearance a couple thousandths, so that means the seats had worn, which would make the clearance less??? new oil and filter. I also pulled the right engine cover, to replace the gasket, so the ignition timing and gap will have to be reset. I will pull the right engine cover this week, in hopes to resolve some oil leaks before I seal it back up.
Question. Inside the right engine cover are the main drive chain guides. I took one off to better clean the oil level sight. The screw had a bit of torque and possibly locktight? Should I locktight that screw when I put it back in. Which locktight to use? I wouldn't use red cause it will never come back out!

Thanks!
RiderRandy

79 Kz400 Ltd.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2016 20:53 by RiderRandy.

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
27 Apr 2016 16:26 #723320 by Forrest
Here is a BUMP for Randy! Blue 242 can hold and still break the thread when needed. Also, for gasket sealing, you could try Locktite RTV Red.