Hi from NorCal

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
21 Jan 2014 09:10 - 21 Jan 2014 09:11 #619442 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic Hi from NorCal
Not sure if I communicated clearly with the "Rosy Picture". You may have got it right but just to clarify, I meant that I am impressed with your postings and your positive attitude. B) AND, I have no doubt that this KZ of yours has found a good home. Keep momentum going and please keep us posted on your progress.

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Last edit: 21 Jan 2014 09:11 by Forrest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2014 07:01 - 23 Jan 2014 07:04 #619725 by RiderRandy
Replied by RiderRandy on topic Hi from NorCal
Ha ha. Got it. I think it's in good hands. My buddy's didn't seem too stoked to do all the work, but I've been enjoying it.

Last weekend I got a chance to pressure wash the trailing arm and where the pipes cross. Also removed the sprocket cover and clutch cable, and cleaned that all out. I was careful to mask off holes with a thick beach towel, pulled a bunch of electronics up, and not too much pressure. Need to re-grease that trailing arm, but at least all the crud is out from there.

Doing the front end first. Front brake is off, and I got a new lever/reservoir coming. That was waay calcified. :pinch: Fork seals and oil are coming. I need to find a decent front tire. If anyone has any suggestions, then I will take them.

Thanks. :)

79 Kz400 Ltd.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2014 07:04 by RiderRandy. Reason: grammer

More
23 Jan 2014 09:05 #619743 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Hi from NorCal
Replace both tires no matter how much tread is remaining. You mentioned the bike hasn't been ridden is 20 years before you received it, so both tires are no longer safe. Even if the tread looks good and there are no obvious cracks in the tires, the rubber hardens over time and will not provide you with adequate grip. This is a bad thing. Be sure to replace the tubes at the same time.

As far as what type tires, I am very pleased with the performance of the Pirelli Sport Demons. They grip well and last many miles. Metzeler (a Pirelli sister company) makes good tubes in sizes for our bikes. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
23 Jan 2014 09:41 #619746 by RiderRandy

650ed wrote: Replace both tires no matter how much tread is remaining. You mentioned the bike hasn't been ridden is 20 years before you received it, so both tires are no longer safe. Even if the tread looks good and there are no obvious cracks in the tires, the rubber hardens over time and will not provide you with adequate grip. This is a bad thing. Be sure to replace the tubes at the same time.

As far as what type tires, I am very pleased with the performance of the Pirelli Sport Demons. They grip well and last many miles. Metzeler (a Pirelli sister company) makes good tubes in sizes for our bikes. Ed

Absolutely Ed. That was my intention. I am just doing the front end first, as to not get overwhelmed.
Thanks for the tire suggestion. I will check them out. :)

79 Kz400 Ltd.

More
30 Jan 2014 10:24 - 30 Jan 2014 10:25 #620622 by RiderRandy
Hope you guys don't mind me continuing to update here. This is a 'rustoration', but I'm so newb that it might belong here. Wanted to throw up some progress pics, but I might get around to that later today or this weekend.

New brake master cylinder is on the bike, pretty stoked that it come with an extra set of rebuild parts. :cheer: Nice new bright green brake line. On a side note, I think I'm going for black, and offensively bright 'Kawi' green for color scheme. B)
Rebuilt the fork and it feels niiice. Way better than before. I slapped the wheel back on so I could get er back in the work shop, as it has finally rained a little. We need the rain badly so doesn't bother me. :ohmy:
I tore into the brake caliper, blasting it out with brake cleaner, re-greased all the pins and slides, piston went back in easily. Just need to put the pads in and bolt it back up.
I should be getting tires this weekend. Gonna go ahead and get both, as I really don't need much else for the rear, besides shocks.
I decided not to mess with the head tube bearings at this point. A co-worker pointed out that the balls do get divots in them and feels like your falling in a turn if it settles into those divots. However, I yanked, pushed, and turned the head tube and only felt smooth operation.

79 Kz400 Ltd.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2014 10:25 by RiderRandy. Reason: grammer

More
30 Jan 2014 10:34 #620625 by RiderRandy
Well, I should probably do the wheel bearings and the headtube bearings, if im gonna crack open a can a grease anyhow.

The handlebar dampers that I ordered do not fit. Part Number 92075-275 supersedes 92075-092 Seems way too big.
I ordered Part numbers 92075-039 and then looks like 21131-005 just to be sure I have a set that will work.

79 Kz400 Ltd.

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
30 Jan 2014 14:19 #620653 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic Hi from NorCal
Good idea to replace bearings. One test I have used to determine if my steering head bearings are no longer good is; place front wheel on wax paper on a smooth floor surface. Move the handlebars back & forth. If there is any notchy or grabby feel to the movement the bearing are likely bad.

Another good tip for wheel bearings is to freeze them prior to installing. They will drop in to the hubs much easier and you are less likely to force then causing damage to the new bearing. Note: they may not "drop" in even if you freeze them. A non marring mallet of rubber or urethane and a flat wood block/board come in handy if you need to tap in place. Keep up the great work. You will have that ole KZ up and running in no time!

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

The following user(s) said Thank You: RiderRandy

More
14 Feb 2014 17:43 #622273 by RiderRandy
Ordered Bridgestone tires.
Progressive rear shocks PS12-1207B
Springs PS03-1394B
75-120Lbs spring rate (I weigh 175, no pssngrs)
I can confirm these bushings 92075-275 supersedes 92075-092 Do not fit!
But these bushings 92075-039 do work.

Attachment DSC01134.jpg not found

Need a chain..Seat reupholstered...Pulling carbs out again to hit the slow jets..need to sync carbs.

79 Kz400 Ltd.
Attachments:

More
23 Feb 2014 18:22 - 23 Feb 2014 18:24 #623096 by RiderRandy
Charging system doesn't charge the battery. I get 12.5volts with the bike idling at 1k rpm.
Resistance between the yellow wires on the stator when set to 200 Ohms reads .7, which seems to be out of spec, the book says .26-.38. Does that mean I need a new stator? They are pricey, and sorta hard to find a new one for the kz400 ltd h1.
I get a reading from the regulator/rectifier, between the yellow and black leads one way, but no reading the other way, Does that mean I need a new regulator/rectifier? The book says I should get a slightly different reading one way or the other, but at least a reading both ways.
Good news is I got tires on the bike, found a shop that will recover the seat, new bright green chain. Other parts on the way, braided stainless lower brake line also green. Rear shocks should be here tomorrow...

79 Kz400 Ltd.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2014 18:24 by RiderRandy.

More
25 Feb 2014 12:49 #623307 by RiderRandy
I have to modify the chain guard little to get the shocks to fit.

79 Kz400 Ltd.
Attachments:

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
25 Feb 2014 13:00 #623308 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic Hi from NorCal
That chain is obnoxious! I love it! Do they come in Blue?

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo

More
26 Feb 2014 09:47 #623385 by RiderRandy
Yes! They come in blue. Just search o-ring chain on ebay, and make sure you get the right pitch and number of links.
Slightly cheaper than the chain sold and recommended by some other online suppliers, but what the heck, it's freaking bright green.... B)

79 Kz400 Ltd.