Quick Hello and a Question

More
31 May 2013 06:47 - 31 May 2013 06:51 #590058 by ZLujan750
Quick Hello and a Question was created by ZLujan750
Well, I'm "new" to bikes in general as I've only had a couple over the years and none that I rode very much except a dirt bike. However, a couple years ago I picked up a 1981 KZ750 LTD and have been contemplating how best to restore/modify it since. It needs a good amount of work to be streetable, and I have no clue where to start which leaves me with taking it to a shop. Here's my question, when the little bits and pieces would cost about $1000, then shop time would cost about the same not including paint and powder coating, is it worth the restore or should I pick up another one and use this one as a parts bike (I also have to go through a title search on it)? I am picking up a beater bike to get used to riding on the road before I get this one finished.

If you all think this bike is easy enough to work on and learn with, then let me know that too and I'll pick up a manual and start tinkering.

Also, here's the list of things it needs done:

Tank, fenders and side covers repainted. Right side cover. Headlight mount and headlight. All four turn signals. Frame stripped and powder coated. Chain and sprockets. New ignition. Seat rekeyed. Whole bike rewired. Right and left controls. New grips, bars and clamp. New mirrors. New speedo, tach and cables. Tires, oil change, fresh brake fluid. New rear brake system. Convert to pod filters. New exhaust. All new rotors and pads and a rebuild on the calipers. New forks (maybe just seals and fluid, but might need more) and rear shocks with assemblies. New clutch and throttle cables and connections. Seat recovered and new saddle bags (if I keep them). And finally a carb rebuild and sync.

The mirrors, grips, bars, clamp, exhaust, and shocks are MAINLY due to surface rust on the chrome and mild damage.

Best pricing I've found is around a $1000 for all parts, but if I can find them cheaper, I would love to pick them up. If a somewhat mechanically inclined individual could tackle this project, then I'll jump in on it.

Thanks for reading this lengthy first post and I hope that you all have some advice for me and I cannot wait to learn from those who have had these bikes before me.

Z
Last edit: 31 May 2013 06:51 by ZLujan750.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2013 09:51 #590073 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Quick Hello and a Question
I suspect you will find the shop time will cost more than the parts to do all the things you want done. If you get the Kawasaki Service Manual and the appropriate tools and take time to understand each of the bike's systems you can probably do everything on the list with one exception - "convert to pod filters." Your bike has CV carbs. To switch from the airbox to pods you will need to buy a bucket full of jets and needles, use of a dyno, a lot of time, and/or a great deal of luck. Plan on becoming a CV carb guru. It sounds like you don't have the bike running and tuned yet, so why do you want to switch to pods without first seeing how the bike performs with the airbox? You may want to read the article in the following link; pay special attention to the last 3 paragraphs. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/585949-po...-a-free-lunch#585949

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
01 Jun 2013 00:55 #590216 by ZLujan750
Replied by ZLujan750 on topic Quick Hello and a Question
Ed, thanks for that article. It was very informative if slightly disheartening. I think until I can afford to have a shop keep it for a couple weeks to tune it out, I'll just stick with the air box. It wasn't even for power that I really wanted to switch to pods, it was mainly for the sake of easy maintenance (i.e. you can see when their dirty, you can quickly detach and reattach, you can make sure everything is clean, etc.). I was worried about the shop time aspect, though I did figure I could do a lot of the more superficial stuff (change oil and rebuild rear brake system, wire up turn signals, speedo and tach, stuff like that) and only take it in for the more intricate project areas. I will be getting the Kawasaki manual and probably an aftermarket manual as well. I have ten days of downtime coming up soon so I should be able to look into things pretty deeply and start to truly understand them. Thank you for your help in the matter and I will definitely keep you (and anyone who may be interested) posted on the progress, which will likely be very slow going for a while.

More
01 Jun 2013 10:16 #590253 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Quick Hello and a Question
I am on the fence if i would go thru all that work with that bike or not. Espically if you DONT have a title for it yet. I think by time you get all that done, you will have alot more money in it then its worth. If you dont mind me asking what you paid for it? You will have more than a 1000 in shop labor i would be guessing. If you are mechanicly inclined some, and you are determined to restore it, i would buy a FACTORY manual and attempt to do what you can yourself. Then you can take it to the shop. Let them do the carbs and what ever you cannot do. But to do the stuff your self you will need a selection of most standard metric tools. maybe a impact driver. A set of digital calipers, a good small inch/foot pounds torque wrench. Allot of the torque values are low so the torque wrench will need to be small.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
01 Jun 2013 10:29 #590256 by 650ed
Here's some info you may find helpful in working on your bike:

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/580406-...biker-from-mn#580410

Ed

More
01 Jun 2013 14:50 #590297 by sig
Replied by sig on topic Quick Hello and a Question
+1 on buying a manual and working on it your self as much as possible. Lots of free info available.

For the cost and time you put in, it's doubtful you'll ever regain your investments. Here's what I mean. I recently bought an old kz650 for $200, parts will total to about $1000 when finished, back registration about $700, then comes the paint. Look for used bikes for around that price ($2000) and you'll find newer, more modern, and just as attractive bikes that will live longer. IMO The best reason to fix her up is if you really like that style of bike, or have extra parts laying around. That's my case (both reasons) so it makes sense to me. It's WORTH taking the time to learn all about it, and having a cool OLD bike when it's done!

1982 KZ650H CSR

More
01 Jun 2013 15:37 #590304 by Powerstroke_fan

sig wrote: +1 on buying a manual and working on it your self as much as possible. Lots of free info available.

For the cost and time you put in, it's doubtful you'll ever regain your investments. Here's what I mean. I recently bought an old kz650 for $200, parts will total to about $1000 when finished, back registration about $700, then comes the paint. Look for used bikes for around that price ($2000) and you'll find newer, more modern, and just as attractive bikes that will live longer. IMO The best reason to fix her up is if you really like that style of bike, or have extra parts laying around. That's my case (both reasons) so it makes sense to me. It's WORTH taking the time to learn all about it, and having a cool OLD bike when it's done!

Alot of people love the older bikes. I personally dont think any of the newer bikes look better than my kz. I am sure there are lots of people that would agree with me.

Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
And Much Much more- SOLD

More
01 Jun 2013 20:45 #590335 by 650ed

Powerstroke_fan wrote:
Alot of people love the older bikes. I personally dont think any of the newer bikes look better than my kz. I am sure there are lots of people that would agree with me.

I am one of them! Ed

More
04 Jun 2013 04:47 #590774 by ZLujan750
Thanks for all the invaluable input on this. I have decided to keep it. Buy a manual. Read it. Re-read it. Read it again. Start amassing parts. Read the manual again. And then take a stab at restoring it. I am oddly attached to it because it came form a friend of a friend who is no longer with us and was the last bike that he owned. The coloration on it now is purple and white, which I really dig. I don't plan on selling it so return on investment doesn't matter too much to me. I'm going to restore, keep and hopefully hand down to my children or even just let my better half ride it.

Nevertheless, this will be a 3-5 year project unless lots of money happens to come my way. I will keep you all posted in the projects section with a new post. I do, truly, appreciate all of the help and advice.

Final question to a new guy... What should I look at staying away from in the Kawasaki line-up?

Thanks,
Z.

PS. I love new bikes, don't get me wrong, and some are dead sexy, but some things cannot be replicated and the cool factor from having an old KZ or CB or whatever, is totally worth the blood, sweat, tears and money for one. Also, when they're cafe'd out (and done right) they look better than a lot of new bikes, I think anyway.

More
04 Jun 2013 08:12 #590781 by Powerstroke_fan
Ya i would get a manual. I dont think i understand your last question? Which kawasaki to stay away from?

Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
And Much Much more- SOLD

More
04 Jun 2013 16:59 #590843 by ZLujan750
Yeah, sorry about the last question, it was late and I was exhausted. What I meant was, are the OLD enduro's good (these are just for fun and getting around out where I live)? Are there any KZ's that I should stay away from (I was looking a 750 twin)? How are the Kawasaki V-Twins? I'm looking for another bike to ride while I restore the 750. My only requirements are that it be quick (11's in the quarter) and be able to pull 125 on the top end. I will never likely use the power, but having it is really good to get the hell out of the way if necessary.

Any suggestions on a good bike that at least comes close to my requirements

More
04 Jun 2013 17:56 #590847 by Powerstroke_fan
Get a kz 1000 then if its not enough, build the motor.

Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
And Much Much more- SOLD