MN, land of 10,000 lakes & 1 happy new KZ owner...

More
28 Apr 2013 13:52 - 28 Apr 2013 13:58 #584453 by Mausyoak
Been looking around for some time for a good fixer upper, haven't ridden or touched a bike in 20 years. Not since a buddy picked up an old Yamaha from the junk yard after high school. We barely got it running & had no first gear (couldn't find parts), but was a lot of fun getting it going & just tooling down the back roads. A bit older & "wiser" now, and want to do it right. I've always liked the look of the old kaws and scored big time when I came across a 79 KZ650 SR on craigslist. First owner had it for 6 years and babied it, second owner has had it ever since.
Now she did sit for the last four years, gonna need just a little rust removal from inside the tank and on front forks, carb cleaning, fork seals, seat cover, plus a couple other things. A far as I can tell this bike is nearly all original and (knock on wood) I'm hoping to keep it that way. Bonus is, seller came way down on the price because I want to fix it up to ride, not just sell it off. Now I can't wait for this snow to be gone so the kid's summer toys are out of the way to give me room to work. Going to take a but more care and effort than the lawn mowers I've worked on till now, so I'll be visiting here often, I've already picked up a ton of helpful info just browsing around.
From the middle of Minnesota, I'm proud to be a new KZ owner and hoping to be a KZrider by mid-summer!

Attachment 2013-04-26_09-14-20_719.jpg not found

'79 KZ650 SR
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Apr 2013 13:58 by Mausyoak.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2013 16:10 #584471 by jonarmstrong
Replied by jonarmstrong on topic MN, land of 10,000 lakes & 1 happy new KZ owner...
Congrats on the new bike! Looks like a good one to work with. If you decide on a tank liner contact your local radiator shop. They will have a better product than you can get off the shelf. Good luck and have fun!

82 Kz1000 gpz1100 cams dyna ignition kerker k&n

More
28 Apr 2013 16:46 #584476 by 650ed
Welcome aboard! Here's some general info you may find helpful. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/580406-...biker-from-mn#580410

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
29 Apr 2013 13:50 #584661 by Mausyoak
Thanks for the tip on the tank liner, jonarmstrong. Was told I shouldn't need it if it stays full of gas, but since it will be in storage half the year I'm going to play it safe. Going to pull the tank & start the electrolysis process this weekend.
650ed, you are the man. I have a couple dozen screwdrivers & bits in my toolbox & not one of them fit properly in the first screw I looked at. I'll be modifying the tips on a couple to get a good seat before I start working. By the look of the screw heads, the last owner didn't have that info...

'79 KZ650 SR