Longtime lurker, new member.

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
11 May 2011 23:10 #450411 by DoctoRot
Longtime lurker, new member. was created by DoctoRot
Hello out there. I have been lurking on here for a while, never as a registered user. I have always been impressed be the selflessness and comradery that are displayed in these forums, people with KZs just want to help out people with KZs.

Last summer I spent a good deal of time on here looking up tips and tricks to get my 1978 KZ1000 LTD ready for the ride of her lifetime. In September I left on a 16,000 mile trip through the states and Canada. Needless to say the trip was hard on her. The last 1000 miles of the trip I knew something was wrong with the engine, but I was pretty much broke by this time of the trip. I crossed my fingers and headed home. Luckily I made it, unluckily I damaged the engine in doing so. I took it to a mechanic the other day and had him do a diagnostic on it and it came back with terrible compression and some top end damage.

I like doing things myself, but engine repair has always been one of those things that has intimidated me. I was curious if there was anybody in the Seattle/king county area that has some spare time on their hands that could help me rebuild the engine. Im not looking for you to rebuild the engine while I watch, I want you to guide me in the process while i get in there and do it myself. I'd like compensate you in someway for your time; either with a bunch of beer, or i have a bunch of random skills that maybe you could use.(found out im pretty good with a paint gun) Anyway if you made it though all that heres some pics from my trip.

-vic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 May 2011 23:22 #450419 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Longtime lurker, new member.
Well it looks like you had the trip of a lifetime there anyway. The old bike will need a bit of TLC, but that would be worth the price for the trip.
Maybe someone in the Pacific NW will chime in, anyway welcome to KZR and hopefully you will be back on the road running again soon.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
11 May 2011 23:27 #450420 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Longtime lurker, new member.
Hi Vic,

Those pics are pretty much worth the help you're asking for. Be glad to answer your request but I'm seven hours away.

Don't give up though, we can walk you through anything.

Glad you've forsaken lurkin!

Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
11 May 2011 23:29 #450421 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Longtime lurker, new member.
welcome to z-jungle,that looks like a fun trip! B)
what was the compression numbers on cylinders,did he adjust the valves to see if it helped any? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
11 May 2011 23:37 #450426 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Longtime lurker, new member.
Welcome to KZR! They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and yours are proof of that. Sounds like an epic trip. I'm sure you'll get the old girl running soon.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
12 May 2011 00:02 #450435 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Longtime lurker, new member.
wow welcome...crazy pics...insane views and real deal ride it appears...great pics!!!

now before you go nuts and tear the thing apart or order things that may or may not fix the problem...remember there were 1000's of these in Washington state over the years and there more than likely will be a extra engine/bike on C-list sometime soon near you,,,,,often for less than the cost of top end work....i am not saying that the engine you have will cost a ton to fix ,or that you should give up on fixing it...i am saying that often ,life can have a sense of humor and a engine may get listed for sale close to you for a song....
welcome.....sounds like you need a good manual for the 1000 and read the engine tear down and rebuild chapters at work on breaks for a while....and start an engine thread on here.....something that happens is folks take too big a bite and dont get the one thing they needed fixed,leading to frustration and loss of momentum....pick a date/goal to have the bike together if you are gonna start into the engine....ask questions on here and search ...

welcome Craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
12 May 2011 16:59 #450522 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Longtime lurker, new member.
welcome.

craig said a mouthful,all of it true.

you have made the first right step you rode the bike far enough to develop a relationship that will carry you through this rough patch.
(dang i sound like a marriage counselor :silly: )

if you don't know how to build a house buy a bunch of material and set it where you want the house.everyone that comes by will tell you how to build it :pinch: .

really tho you have come to the right place this forum has helped countless newbies through some pretty impressive rebuilds.as craig said start an engine thread get a manual and start,ask questions when needed and keep everyobody posted as you go.
there is your safety net.
the good thing is we are all to far away to drink your beer :laugh: .
although stuff that needs painted can be shipped :whistle: .

don't be scared these are some fairly easy engines to learn.

keep us posted,

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
13 May 2011 06:25 #450652 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Longtime lurker, new member.
thanks guys, Ill be starting a thread soon.

vic

More
13 May 2011 08:57 #450658 by hal0tw0
Replied by hal0tw0 on topic Longtime lurker, new member.
Amazing pics and trip! Best of luck with your rebuild. There is a lot of help here!

1976 KA900. VM28 pumper carbs, K&N pod fiters, RC performace 4/1 exhaust, Dyna ignition, Accel coils and wires, Ohlins rear shocks.....more to come