What have I found?

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
29 Jan 2011 19:16 #426936 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic What have I found?
OK not trying to piss on things at all dont get me wrong, thats the part of the story that struck me funny, those people simply have no influence or control over the process, they're just a private company under contrat. ur right they do have knowledge of the process but its Raliegh that has the power. Good Luck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
29 Jan 2011 19:19 - 29 Jan 2011 19:21 #426937 by stonemaster
testarossa wrote:

I wouldn't be too worried about the title. Looks like you got your money's worth in parts. If you couldn't get it straight, then just get another frame with a title, and hang your parts on there. I think a KZ frame with title is about $100. Or you could just make a drag bike out of it.

BTW that's a pretty sharp looking sporty that you inherited. I like the paint job, but then I'm rather partial to blue and white bikes.

I wouldn't mind having that lift either. If I only had the space.

+1 on that, however in some states the engine number is included on the title, could be an issue
Last edit: 29 Jan 2011 19:21 by stonemaster.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
29 Jan 2011 19:20 #426939 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic What have I found?
I didn't realize that. So what do you do if you grenade a motor and have to switch?

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
29 Jan 2011 19:26 #426944 by lcc
Replied by lcc on topic What have I found?
Yep, now I have two of those lifts!

A buddy of mine came up with that paint scheme. There is a red stripe separating the blue and the white. I'm going to get some spoke wheels with red hubs and red rims for it...maybe a red stripe around the heads.

I added the memorial to the tank after Dad died. It required the whole tank to be re-painted but it was worth it....turned out great! [/img]
Attachments:

More
29 Jan 2011 19:28 #426945 by lcc
NC only uses the VIN fortunately, so it is as "simple" as getting a titled frame. I hope I don't have to go that route.

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
29 Jan 2011 19:28 #426946 by stonemaster
testarossa wrote:

I didn't realize that. So what do you do if you grenade a motor and have to switch?

call the inspector to come out and do a report and re-issue title, I have to have one come out and check mine its over 35 years old (classic vehicle code) is the reason, its considered a classic, I'm not 100 percent sure about the engine number on the title in this state but the state MN from where i purchased my bike had the engine number was on the title, depends on alot of factor, that being said the inspector are fairly easy to deal with as long as it isnt stolen, some states have bar codes with the engine number on that, i dont have my title handy to look right now but I'm pretty sure it is recorded

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
29 Jan 2011 19:33 #426950 by stonemaster
lcc wrote:

NC only uses the VIN fortunately, so it is as "simple" as getting a titled frame. I hope I don't have to go that route.

yea man but they're gonna check my engine that he told me, maybe its different with the non-classics.
Funny story wanna know why they inspect vehicle over 35 years old for "authenticity"? one of the honchos at the DMV in Raliegh spent big money on a 35 ford, It was titled a 35 ford, It was a reproduction, He got ripped big time, so they implemented a new regulation :woohoo: :woohoo:

More
29 Jan 2011 20:02 #426967 by lcc
That's a hard way to learn a lesson!

I'm excited about getting this scoot fired up! I want to know if I have something worth continuing with. I'm pretty excited just to have a new bike in the stable.

More
30 Jan 2011 03:18 #427020 by z650c3
Replied by z650c3 on topic What have I found?
Icc , thats 2 very interesting projects on the go there. The sportster looks great especially the colour scheme . You will have to keep us posted on both projects now :cheer:

Enjoy

C3

1979 z650 c3 first registered in 1981
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCR
Northern Ireland

More
30 Jan 2011 10:03 - 30 Jan 2011 10:07 #427098 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic What have I found?
lcc wrote:

OK, so there are today's pics! When I went to get it he had not found the title but had "lost title" paperwork with him. His wife works at NC DMV so it shouldn't be one of those long issues.

It's all there, I just don't know the ultimate shape it's all in. I just realized I don't have a pic of the tank. It's blue, with rust bubbling up, has a small ding in it, but it's something to put on it until I decide what to do with it.

He believes the kit was something around 1127cc??? The crank was already a Vance and Hines piece but when they put the big bore kit and jugs on he lacked .175 ??? of the piston reaching tdc so the stroker crank went in. He said the head is a full-on race spec...flowed, valves, everything done by Gann Racing. Transmission gears have been undercut. He went into further detail down to the wrist pins that he chose for the build and why....he's crazy about engines, being a car drag racer. I have no choice but to believe him.

I told him everyone on here was helping get me excited enough to buy it. I told him if I decide not to take on the project I may wind up selling it. He swears that when I get it fired I won't want to sell it. He lights up with excitement about how special this thing is...but on the other hand he's not more than $400 excited! He is offering to help me get it going if I have any trouble. We will see.

So...I told you it was a garage special. It's dusty. It's old. These things I already know. So, what do you think? Be nice. And remember I got the Harbor Freight lift along with it!

vance/hines stroker crank? sounds like somebodys getting stroked alright! :laugh:

smallest set of sleeves ive ever seen for a bigblock was for an 1197,stock blocks can go to 1197 easily so why would anybody waste a bigblock for little tiny motor?

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2011 10:07 by PLUMMEN.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Jan 2011 16:49 #427203 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic What have I found?
Sorry for your loss. I Noticed the name "Childress".
Is this a name sounomonuos with Richard from nascar?

Back to the tile, VIN# is frame only Z1F or KZTOOA.

I rarely had a engine # match the frame # here in NY State.

I have actually stamped different #'s into frames in the past. The steel is soft. And the factory used standard 1/4" #'s. They were ISO, before ISO 9001 was invented!

Oh well, I'd buy that cycle for just parts, sight unseen!

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
30 Jan 2011 17:59 #427224 by lcc
Yes, Richard is my uncle. And my dad was a Nascar official for 25+ years. I grew up with Geoff Bodine and Ricky Rudd calling the house. Dad was great friends with Tim Richmond, Dale Earnhardt, Dick Trickle, and so many others. It was an interesting upbringing.