Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Changing Stock CV Carbs for VM 03 Aug 2016 16:42 #737304

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2633
I'm getting very close to getting the 33's to work like they should. I had peanut butter color on my plugs but I changed the float level and needle settings.Also the main jet sizes. My plugs are dark but not excessively so. I'm going to open a couple holes in the emulsion tubes. #3 is lighter in color with one more hole open. It's been so hot, I haven't been able to work on them the last two months. Now that it's getting cooler, I'll try again.
As for "streetable", they pull strong with no flat spots. Far cry from when I first got them. Modern carbs would be better of course but I'm stuck with what I got. :whistle:
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Changing Stock CV Carbs for VM 03 Aug 2016 17:01 #737308

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
  • Thank you received: 107

swest wrote: I'm getting very close to getting the 33's to work like they should. I had peanut butter color on my plugs but I changed the float level and needle settings.Also the main jet sizes. My plugs are dark but not excessively so. I'm going to open a couple holes in the emulsion tubes. #3 is lighter in color with one more hole open. It's been so hot, I haven't been able to work on them the last two months. Now that it's getting cooler, I'll try again.
As for "streetable", they pull strong with no flat spots. Far cry from when I first got them. Modern carbs would be better of course but I'm stuck with what I got. :whistle:
Steve

Question - by "opening holes" in the emulsion tubes, you mean enlarging the existing holes? Either way, what drill # are you using for that?

Thanks.
2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

Changing Stock CV Carbs for VM 03 Aug 2016 17:26 #737311

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I have a thread on that. The PO drilled extra holes and munged the carbs up. I got them for $100. I thought Miller was a friend but some mutual friends warned me he had changed. "He's not the same Donny anymore." I guess he "Jamoked" me on the carbs. :dry: That was in 97. The bike screamed but had flat spots. It sat from 98 to 13. I went through them and found the extra holes in the tubes. I soldered them up, the flat spot off idle went away. You can buy tubes with different hole patterns and needle jet sizes. Donny was a master tuner. His brother was a moron.
kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/601369-mikuni-vm-33-carbs
I'd like to see Miller again and show him the carbs. The bike for that matter. :lol:
I wonder what he's doing these days? :whistle:
Steve

Changing Stock CV Carbs for VM 05 Aug 2016 06:34 #737506

• Kray-Z
  • User
Hey all,

Went home Wednesday in a big thunder storm. Got there just in time for the last flicker of lights before the power got knocked out (again)!

So Thurs. I unboxed all my Mikuni performance carb sets to have a good look at the slide area through the venturi, and guess what?

Both the RS's and TM's (flat slides) have the slide slots running through the venturi, so by the same criteria (smooth through the venturi), I guess only the round slide 29's and 33's count as "smooth bores". I am SOOOOO CONFUSED!

My solution to this controversy is thus: I don't use the term "sm :pinch: :pinch: th bore" ever again....from now and forward, the two common types of carbs will be called "CV" and "slide" in my speak....
2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

Last edit: by Kray-Z.

Changing Stock CV Carbs for VM 05 Aug 2016 06:41 #737508

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
CV and VM. I'm not sure about the benifets of the "smooth bores".
Steve

Changing Stock CV Carbs for VM 05 Aug 2016 06:48 #737509

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

swest wrote: CV and VM. .............
Steve

CV and VM - correct! Simply calling them "Slide" carbs doesn't distinguish them from flat slides or smooth bores (or even from CV carbs since they have slides). Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

Changing Stock CV Carbs for VM 05 Aug 2016 07:09 #737516

• Kray-Z
  • User
CV's and slide's... slide being flat slide or round slide....no more s___th for this guy! :laugh: