Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Pods on carbs 17 Jun 2016 16:53 #731802

• Pig
  • Pig's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
hello, I own a kz400 1977 but I'm having some issues with the carbs. I put pods on my carbs because my air filter was really dirty and took up a lot of space. I kept the stock exhaust and thought I might need to rejet my carbs but it didn't seem like I did. So I kept riding it then my bike started acting like it was running really rich so I leaned out the mixture. (This doesn't make sense to me because I thought with pods your carbs would need to get rejetted to run richer. ) But now my bike is bogging down and won't run unless I'm tweaking the throttle or have the choke on. I'm confused because my spark plugs are black like it's too rich.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Patton. Reason: remove code tabs

Pods on carbs 17 Jun 2016 17:09 #731804

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Welcome, where is the quote from? Check your valve adjustments and ignition before going to the carbs.
Steve

Pods on carbs 17 Jun 2016 18:08 #731807

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Congratulations! By removing the airbox and installing pods on your bike's CV carbs you have won the opportunity to become a carb expert. I'm pretty sure if you spend enough money on jets, etc. and enough time you will be able to make the bike run ok. Not as well as with the airbox, but ok. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Pods on carbs 17 Jun 2016 21:07 #731822

• Pig
  • Pig's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
That's okay one of the main reasons I got an oldie is the learning curve. Where is a reliable place to by carb kits?

Pods on carbs 17 Jun 2016 21:17 #731824

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621

Pods on carbs 18 Jun 2016 04:21 #731830

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Pig wrote: . . . kz400 1977 . . . issues with the carbs. . . pods . . . bike is bogging down and won't run unless I'm tweaking the throttle or have the choke on. . . .

Pig wrote: . . . one of the main reasons I got an oldie is the learning curve. . . .

The learning curve has proven to be more of a learning cliff when dealing with KZ400 on pods, which will likely never perform at its best potential throughout all ranges of throttle as well as it does with the stock air-box configuration.

Click here > to begin your first homework assignment .

To locate topics here in KZrider on whatever subject, SEARCH is included in the menu under FORUM (in ribbon across top of screen).

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

Pods on carbs 18 Jun 2016 07:41 #731849

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Ifyou spend sone time reading the threads on this site regarding the KZ400/440 and pod filters, you will notice that most of them come to an abrupt end with no resolution. It seems that the carbs used on those models are especially sensitive to changes on the intake side. I found one exception, but the builder replaced the CV carbs with mechanical carbs, which are less sensitive.

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/598595...400-d3-grimey#689125
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Pods on carbs 18 Jun 2016 09:01 #731868

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 298

Pig wrote: hello, I own a kz400 1977 but I'm having some issues with the carbs. I put pods on my carbs because my air filter was really dirty and took up a lot of space. I kept the stock exhaust and thought I might need to rejet my carbs but it didn't seem like I did. So I kept riding it then my bike started acting like it was running really rich so I leaned out the mixture. (This doesn't make sense to me because I thought with pods your carbs would need to get rejetted to run richer. ) But now my bike is bogging down and won't run unless I'm tweaking the throttle or have the choke on. I'm confused because my spark plugs are black like it's too rich.

First check your valve lash and ignition. Make sure it is set to factory specs.
If by leaning out the mixture you adjusted the idle mixture screws, set them back to
factory spec/best idle. That will eliminate the need to run with the choke on.
What filters are you using? The carbs do not like the air bleed hole on the inlet side
to be blocked like some filters do. You need filters like K&N or Uni that do not have
a step inside. Then we can work on tuning your carbs.

P.S. Also spray around your carb boots to see if they are leaking or not.
Do this with the engine running. You will notice a change in sound/rpm if
it has a leak. Carb or brake cleaner works best. Rpm will increase.
Be careful, do not spray around any ignition components.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

Last edit: by Nebr_Rex. Reason: carb boots

Pods on carbs 20 Jun 2016 09:40 #732118

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I haven't done it on the diaphragm carbs, but rejetting the piston CV carbs on the early 400's was not very difficult, even without a wideband ... just seat of pants tuning. But if you've never jetted carbs before, you will have a lot of reading to do. And if you are working with the piston carbs, there are a lot of condition issues you need to address before you try jetting. You have to get very well acquainted with how to set the top covers so the slides move perfectly. You will also need to take a close look at the throttle shaft to make sure there is no air leaking through the bushings. That is on top of all of the basics... float level, needle valve condition etc. etc.

It is not a beginner's project for sure.

Pods on carbs 20 Jun 2016 16:01 #732160

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
+1
Put the airbox back on,clean (or buy a new) filter,and ride your bike! In the meanwhile,research fuel/air mixture and its effects on engine performance.(theres a lot of stuff out there on the subject)
Im not a purist.Ive no problem with pods but it seems that its not just a bolt on deal. Theres a lot more to it.Im still learning.
Good luck.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Pods on carbs 23 Jun 2016 21:53 #732578

• richard
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
I get putting pods on CV carbs to look cool
But here it is,when you open the throttle with the bike off
The slide does not move..the slide only moves when the correct amount of air passes through
The carbs uper intakes,hense the name constant VELOCITY,this is achieved by an air box,filter
And small cut away in the box ,the engineers at Kawasaki didn't use a dart board do come up with
The dimensions to make it all work , a lot of science here
Anyone who says they can set up CVs has no idea how good the stock set up WAS

Pods on carbs 24 Jun 2016 03:51 #732588

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

richard wrote: Anyone who says they can set up CVs has no idea how good the stock set up WAS

Or maybe they spent enough time and effort to know how to do it.

• Page: