Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Close call 07 Oct 2015 18:49 #693724

• kz n az
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
First of all I"m glad to hear your ok. I see crap like that all day long here in Phx.
But I think I got you beat about hanging to stuff. I still have my first car i bought in 1968 a
1962 corvette I"ve it for 47 years

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Close call 07 Oct 2015 19:00 #693725

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Flashing the head light and looking for a hole. When they stop, look straight at you and turn anyway, it's almost like they did it on purpose. They're not looking for bikes, they're looking for cars or trucks. It's just one of those things.
The wreck in 86, they pulled over to the right as if to let me pass. I dropped down a gear and they turned left in front of me. No where to go. 17' stake bed truck. I put it sideways and kicked off. Next thing I remember, I was laying in the field with three guys that couldn't speak English standing over me. I was cited for passing in a intersection and lost my licence for a year. No insurance.
Yup, I was lucky and not freezing got me through. :whistle: As for stopping, that would have meant riding it in. I don't think so. I chose the shoulder and the dirt that followed. :woohoo:
Steve

Last edit: by SWest.

Close call 07 Oct 2015 20:38 #693738

• floivanus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116

swest wrote: These are Amco hard bags 1975. They are made out of ABS. I saw a pair but they wanted more than I could afford plus they looked like SHT. I can't even find Vetter bags on eBay. I have a Vetter top box waiting for me at home. Just delivered. If you'd care to part with a pair, maybe we can talk turkey. I don't want any cheap CHINESE crap on my bike. I'd rather stay period or fix the ones I have.
Thanks, just a few seconds to decide which way to go. She stopped in my lane but I now think she was backing up. I thought I'd cleared her, then bang. Left a nice gouge in the side of her car. :whistle: At least this time I had somewhere to go. :dry:

Well, at least your bags are ABS and you should be able to repair them, make sure you go over the bike from one end to the other though. It's actually quite easy to overlook damage when you have one overly obvious thing staring you in the face.

Same with adrenaline covering physical harm.
my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

Close call 08 Oct 2015 03:01 #693744

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
It seems to hold glue well. I was told not to repair it yet so 100 more miles with a mangled box. :( Gotcha on the damage. I'm going to give her a bath and polish. I'll be looking at the frame, swing arm etc. At least it's cooler so I can do this.
I noted how calm I was during and after. After the wreck in 86, I don't frighten like before. I had a big biker guy come to my house to try and intimidate me. I calmly told him he wasn't scaring me, HE WAS PISSING ME OFF and I can pop caps just as well as the next guy. Conditioning I guess.
I found some Vetter bags on eBay. Most want as much if not more for shipping. I sold an original worm drive Skil saw on eBay. Not only was it heavy but it was a odd size. $41 to ship to NJ. Nothing that matches mine though. Other vintage bags look UGLY and are smaller. I think I'll print out a couple of those ads and hand them to the adjuster if nothing else than to show the value of vintage stuff. We'll see. :whistle:
Steve.

Close call 08 Oct 2015 03:03 #693745

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

kz n az wrote: First of all I"m glad to hear your ok. I see crap like that all day long here in Phx.
But I think I got you beat about hanging to stuff. I still have my first car i bought in 1968 a
1962 corvette I"ve it for 47 years

Brothers under the skin. :lol:
Steve

Close call 08 Oct 2015 03:03 #693746

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Well done for dodging a bullet there. In emergency braking situations some panic and it is too easy to get target fixated rather than looking at all escape routes.

Rather a sobering helmet cam fatal accident here. he was going too fast on a damp road approaching a junction, panicked and didn't see the escape. Sad really, but good to watch this sort of thing and see a big handful in the wrong place can get life threatening in a couple of seconds.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
The following user(s) said Thank You: !Seymore

Close call 08 Oct 2015 03:23 #693748

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
A teachable moment for sure. He might have been able to pass on the right but at that speed it looks like He'd gone down anyway. My dash cam stopped working months ago and I just ordered another one with better mounts. I wish it was working. As I think about it, I'm almost sure she had put it in reverse and was backing out of my way. I had already decided to go behind her and I thought I'd cleared her. At 55 things happen fast, at 80, no time to react. Too bad, seemed like a good young man. :(
Steve

Close call 08 Oct 2015 03:44 #693750

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I don't think I could have stopped in time.
www.thezenith.com/files/parlay/stopping_...a_parlay1520_006.pdf
Before I got my Z1, I had a 350 Honda. My best friend Jay bought a CB 175 and I got him a job where I worked. He decided to go home for lunch even though he only had 1/2 hour to get there and back. I tried to talk him out of it but he took off anyway. A catering truck turned left in front of him. The handle bars were bent into a V and he landed on his face. Broken arms and leg and they reconstructed his face. He joked about how he got new choppers where he had bad teeth before. He got $100,000 and was broke the next year. He blamed me because I wouldn't buy him lunch. Fact is, he lived with his mother, I had a apartment and the bills that went with it while earning $3.25 an hour. I had to go without lunch by the end of each week. I lost a friend and we never had the chance to go riding together. Some lessons are hard learned.
Steve

Re:Close call 08 Oct 2015 04:03 #693753

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
So, she didn't see you but had time to do 2 incorrect actions; 1- stop dead in front of you, 2-attempt to reverse to "get out of the way" ?

What BS. I bet no one in her family did or could drive back "home". Bleeding hearts can't stomach letting them not have the "American dream" so feel free to drive just as crappy or worse than you would where your from and here's a picture ID saying I said it's OK.

Close call 08 Oct 2015 04:09 #693754

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
This is what happened when a "Driver's Privilege Card" holder decided he wanted to turn right instead of left at a T intersection but didn't see me next to him due to an overloaded step side 4x4 Chevy.
Attachments:

Close call 08 Oct 2015 04:45 #693758

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I lived in Mexico city for a year when I was 16. At most accidents the drivers run away. Our roads are civilized compared to other countries. I watched as one guy ran into a new car and bailed. It happens here sometimes and I suspect we will be seeing this more and more. The Libs are pandering to the "undocumented" (illegal) for votes. It won't get any better until it is stopped. It's bad enough having elderly drivers that can't keep up with traffic, but to have them in Land Yachts is absurd. I see them every season in a Big rig size units towing a SUV or something.They'll pull out of a trailer park into a 55 MPH HWY without letting the traffic pass. As far as I'm concerned, they should have a Class A license, be tested every year like the Big Rig drivers have to and have their licence pulled until they can prove they can drive the thing. I have a class C/M. All they need is a class C. Lots of money behind it. It pisses me off when I see that bumper sticker, "we're spending our children's inheritance."YOU SHOULD BE IN A HOME SPENDING THAT MONEY ON YOU. IMO There's nothing wrong in traveling and doing things in your "Golden years". If you go broke doing it, don't expect your children to take care of until you die. Your decision, your consequences. It goes both ways. :whistle:
Steve

Last edit: by SWest. Reason: sp

Close call 08 Oct 2015 07:54 #693791

• pete greek1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 185
GOD BLESS that you or anyone else didn't get hurt, I've been riding my bike less & less every year because of so many close calls I've had, people texting or on the phone while driving, or all the illegals that couldn't get a license to ride a donkey , on the road, the only thing the cities & States care about, is the revenue they get by handing out licenses
Pete
1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!