Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Close call 08 Oct 2015 08:16 #693794

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Good to hear you made it out ok and the bike too....... maybe the insurance deal will work out and get you some up graded bags and maybe a few bucks for your trouble. You drive your bike alot and so many idiots on the road now so your odds are going up ..... stay safe.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Close call 08 Oct 2015 08:28 #693795

• scubaanders
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 233
First things first Steve.
Nice to here that you got away 100% ok!
Compared to alternative outcomes, even vintage sadlebags are cheap!

/Anders
Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91

Close call 08 Oct 2015 08:46 #693799

• jackleberry
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56

swest wrote: I lived in Mexico city for a year when I was 16. At most accidents the drivers run away. Our roads are civilized compared to other countries. I watched as one guy ran into a new car and bailed. It happens here sometimes and I suspect we will be seeing this more and more. The Libs are pandering to the "undocumented" (illegal) for votes. It won't get any better until it is stopped. It's bad enough having elderly drivers that can't keep up with traffic, but to have them in Land Yachts is absurd. I see them every season in a Big rig size units towing a SUV or something.They'll pull out of a trailer park into a 55 MPH HWY without letting the traffic pass. As far as I'm concerned, they should have a Class A license, be tested every year like the Big Rig drivers have to and have their licence pulled until they can prove they can drive the thing. I have a class C/M. All they need is a class C. Lots of money behind it. It pisses me off when I see that bumper sticker, "we're spending our children's inheritance."YOU SHOULD BE IN A HOME SPENDING THAT MONEY ON YOU. IMO There's nothing wrong in traveling and doing things in your "Golden years". If you go broke doing it, don't expect your children to take care of until you die. Your decision, your consequences. It goes both ways. :whistle:
Steve

There are plenty of American born idiots out there trying to kill you, too... Ran across this video the other day which shows what teen drivers are doing when they crash... Flashing your lights and honking won't do any good if the driver is listening to music and playing candy crush on their phone.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

Close call 08 Oct 2015 09:30 #693802

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Yup. Thanks all. It's a wake up call at the least.
Steve

Close call 08 Oct 2015 13:19 #693835

• Zephyrrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 50
If you are scared on the bike - then you shouldn't be riding.
Hopefully those fucking inconsiderate ,brainless teens will find a tree or brick wall before taking out some poor bastard going along minding their own business. If you drive and use a mobile in this state and a cop sees you it is a $350 fine and loss of 3 points from your licence - i still see assholes every where doing it - i sure let the fuckers know - i havnt even got an anti social mobile- hate em.
Unfortunate man in bike crash was going way too fast for the traffic conditions :( .
Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

Close call 08 Oct 2015 15:14 #693851

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I see it too. Yeah, he was going too fast. I don't think he could have thrown it right like I did. By the time I hit the dirt I was doing about 20 MPH. It's one thing to ride at 20-40 on the dirt but slowing down, it gets hairy. I locked my rear brake the last ten feet. Rocks.
Wake up Steve. :dry:

Close call 08 Oct 2015 17:43 #693871

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Just met with the adjuster. Most of the boxes are incomplete or just UGLY. I showed her my CHINESE top box and told her how it started coming apart within a year. I don't want CHINESE JUNK :lol: on my bike. The one I liked was still on auction so I gave her a copy of a Kawasaki modern set plus shipping, a NOS KZP RT guard plus shipping and some time for labor and paint. She came up with $1339.36. I pick up my check in the morning. I'd feel bad if it weren't for the fact the chick and her parents tried to turn it around on me and make me pay for the damages to their car and my bike. From what I understand, they have a $2500 deductible. I like the look of the Vetter boxes but I don't like them opening to the sides. If they pop open, my stuff will fall out on the FWY. The ZN 1300 boxes are sexy and closer to period. I may go with them if I can't fix what I have. The box is FK'ED up so I may have no choice. For the time being, I have my old soft boxes and the vetter top box. It's a monster.

Attachment 005-2.jpg not found

I may have to rethink this whole thing. :unsure:
Steve
Attachments:

Last edit: by SWest.

Close call 08 Oct 2015 20:28 #693885

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
Their deductible will only apply to their loss... not yours. And if they don't file a damage claim against their car's collision insurance, they pay nothing.
Just don't settle for anything less then 100% restoration of where you were one second before this happened.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Close call 08 Oct 2015 21:11 #693888

• jackleberry
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56

swest wrote: Just met with the adjuster. Most of the boxes are incomplete or just UGLY. I showed her my CHINESE top box and told her how it started coming apart within a year. I don't want CHINESE JUNK :lol: on my bike. The one I liked was still on auction so I gave her a copy of a Kawasaki modern set plus shipping, a NOS KZP RT guard plus shipping and some time for labor and paint. She came up with $1339.36. I pick up my check in the morning. I'd feel bad if it weren't for the fact the chick and her parents tried to turn it around on me and make me pay for the damages to their car and my bike. From what I understand, they have a $2500 deductible. I like the look of the Vetter boxes but I don't like them opening to the sides. If they pop open, my stuff will fall out on the FWY. The ZN 1300 boxes are sexy and closer to period. I may go with them if I can't fix what I have. The box is FK'ED up so I may have no choice. For the time being, I have my old soft boxes and the vetter top box. It's a monster.

I may have to rethink this whole thing. :unsure:
Steve

$1339.36? Why not buy a whole new bike? :laugh:
1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

Close call 09 Oct 2015 02:38 #693893

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
That wouldn't even pay for a 1200 kit on my bike.
Steve

Close call 09 Oct 2015 17:52 #693983

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Being the stubbern SOB I am, I decided to try and repair my destroyed box. Riding with it bungie'd and being over the exhaust made it sag and separate more. I took them off the bike, separated the bad one from the guard, washed it and let it dry in the sun. 105 today. It was all twisted with cracks and gaps in different places. I placed it upside down on a table and used my heat gun to relax it back into shape. Using packing tape I was able to get it together. The plastic has a good memory. :)

I lost a piece of plastic behind one hindge. I have a donor ABS shelf to make a piece to fit in. Have a fiborglass kit to use on the inside. A little body work and it should be presentable. I don't think I can save the bar and used ones are cheap. If I can save the box, that money can go into the bike. I'll repaint both of them and the top box lid. It'll take work but it will be well worth it.
Steve
Attachments:

Close call 09 Oct 2015 19:03 #693994

• Shabba
  • User
  • Thank you received: 47

swest wrote: Being the stubbern SOB I am, I decided to try and repair my destroyed box. Riding with it bungie'd and being over the exhaust made it sag and separate more. I took them off the bike, separated the bad one from the guard, washed it and let it dry in the sun. 105 today. It was all twisted with cracks and gaps in different places. I placed it upside down on a table and used my heat gun to relax it back into shape. Using packing tape I was able to get it together. The plastic has a good memory. :)

I lost a piece of plastic behind one hindge. I have a donor ABS shelf to make a piece to fit in. Have a fiborglass kit to use on the inside. A little body work and it should be presentable. I don't think I can save the bar and used ones are cheap. If I can save the box, that money can go into the bike. I'll repaint both of them and the top box lid. It'll take work but it will be well worth it.
Steve

Perhaps a "project build" thread of the rebuild? Ha!
-Colin

-82 GPZ750
-15 Yamaha FZ-09
-00 Suzuki TL1000S
-13 Nissan Nismo Juke