Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KAWASAKI.COM PARTS DIAGRAMS - GONE??? 14 Jan 2015 13:37 #658697

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 503
Hey Joe, we all recognize that making a modern web page is very hard, very serious business, that requires a lot of smart people and a lot of time.

But I would like to make a distinction between the data itself, and all of the web machinery required to access and display that data. The data itself is basically a handful of columns in a glorified spreadsheet. And translating data between existing databases is not a major undertaking.

JoeK wrote: The "old parts platform" no longer exists. If it does exist, you're more than welcome to use it. If it were that easy we would definitely "add a link".

That is not true. Here is the link. www.kawasakiepc.com/

The old link from Kawasaki.com redirected to kawasakiepc.com. I believe that if we had login credentials, the data, along with the old diagram interface, would pop up.

This catalog is a service provided by Snap-on. My guess is that Kawasaki chose to bring the diagrams in-house to avoid paying subscription fees to Snap-on. It is of course possible that Snap-on digitized the parts diagrams as part of this service, and that Snap-on owns that particular database.

But I can't believe that Kawasaki doesn't have a complete catalog database in some form. It's silly to suggest that all of their vehicle part data is locked up in PDF files. Those dealer databases that have been linked to all got their data from Kawasaki. The Snap-on database got the data from Kawasaki. And the new parts diagrams database currently on the Kawasaki.com site was populated with data from some Kawasaki database. In this case someone made the decision to only use data from models newer than 1984. It may be a mystery as to why they chose to do this, but it does seem to be a choice.

On the other hand, I suspect the decision to not include the interface functionality for cross-reference or active status was probably a lack of understanding of how useful those features are for users like us. In all honestly, they are not useful to someone who owns a modern bike. All of those parts should be active, and what do they care if the 6R and 10R use the same turn signal stalk or not?
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by DOHC.

KAWASAKI.COM PARTS DIAGRAMS - GONE??? 14 Jan 2015 13:46 #658699

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member

Mcdroid wrote: As has been pointed by, notably by Jeff Saunders, there has been a paradigm shift at Kawasaki USA. Parts for 30 year+ older models are no longer stocked

This is a mystery to me. The markup on these parts is huge. Plus, the last time I was in a dealer they marked the parts up 20% above the published list price. Kawasaki only needs to keep stock in one of their national warehouses to make them available to US buyer. Can it really be that expensive? Kawasaki is basically saying that they don't want our money. That doesn't seem like a sound business decision.
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Last edit: by DOHC.

KAWASAKI.COM PARTS DIAGRAMS - GONE??? 19 Jan 2015 09:06 #659085

• ChicagoLTD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I just wanted to share that after contacting Kawasaki and getting a form reply, out of the blue I received another reply from a different person that included PDFs of parts diagrams. This was a nice surprise, I thanked Kawasaki and encouraged them to keep working on a fully available system like what used to be.

I have uploaded the files to the Filebase here, I don't know how hosting all the files works but perhaps over time if more of us get replies with the diagrams we can start building our own database.
1981 KZ550-LTD (bobber)

KAWASAKI.COM PARTS DIAGRAMS - They are back 09 Mar 2015 14:22 #663882

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 181
Much to my surprise, the parts diagrams are back on the Kawasaki.com web site. It's a bit of good news / bad news. The fiche are FAR better than before. Previously some of the diagrams were missing for key areas of bikes - like the carb parts on KZ650 models, and frame fittings on the Z1 - now they are back. The quality of the diagrams is also better. You can now download PDF versions of the diagrams.

What is missing is the part cross-reference. No longer can you tell what models a part fits - so you have to jump over to some of the other sites like partzilla to do this.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58, Topper, !Seymore

Last edit: by Jeff.Saunders.

KAWASAKI.COM PARTS DIAGRAMS - They are back 09 Mar 2015 14:28 #663883

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Good news indeed. We should send the folks at Kawasaki a huge thank you. Perhaps the parts crossover is in the works.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

KAWASAKI.COM PARTS DIAGRAMS - They are back 09 Mar 2015 14:43 #663885

• 650ed
  • 650ed's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I'm glad to see the diagrams are back, but unfortunately the new site is missing a major piece of functionality. The old site not only had the cross-reference function which is now missing but it also showed whether or not a part was still an "ACTIVE" Kawasaki part. This important function permitted the owner to see if he could still order the part from the Kawasaki dealer. Deleting that function doesn't do the owner OR the dealers any favor. I suppose Kawasaki did not consider keeping that database current to be worth the effort or cost. :( Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

KAWASAKI.COM PARTS DIAGRAMS - They are back 09 Mar 2015 15:56 #663893

• Topper
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 133
I think this is really good news. They've been reassuring us that they were working on it, and that does indeed appear to be the case. Hopefully the missing functionality will come back soon.
Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

KAWASAKI.COM PARTS DIAGRAMS - GONE??? 09 Mar 2015 16:14 #663898

• !Seymore
  • User
  • Ride on...
  • Thank you received: 61
This is very good news indeed...

Also, they list the the 79' KZ650-D2 as an SR... which it is... but they are NOT being consistent with their labeling. If they keep with their current labeling, the SR should be listed as a KZ650-D2, as they also label the KZ650-B3 and all the previous models. (78' KZ650-B2/B2a... but missing the C2) So, I doubt if they are finished...
C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)

KAWASAKI.COM PARTS DIAGRAMS - GONE??? 09 Mar 2015 16:22 #663899

• Zephyrrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 50
If any of you "on this post" would like a (US ) Kawasaki Parts CD all models 1966 - 1998 with cross references - 32 bit - i would be glad to do "some" for you
Mick,
Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

Last edit: by Zephyrrider.

KAWASAKI.COM PARTS DIAGRAMS - GONE??? 09 Mar 2015 16:33 #663900

• !Seymore
  • User
  • Ride on...
  • Thank you received: 61

Zephyrrider wrote: If any of you would like a (US ) Kawasaki Parts CD all models 1966 - 1998 with cross references - 32 bit - i would be glad to do some for you - just pay for post and whatever cds are these days - 20 - 50 cents maybe - will figure that out. To USA from here would be @$9 AUD - All parts numbers are same here so shouldnt be a prob for world,
Mick,

Great Mick... If you get a bunch of us (on this side of the pond) who want these, maybe ship all to one address and we'll distribute from there.(?) Save all of us on shipping and your constant trips to the post... Add me as a member who will sign on to this...
C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)

KAWASAKI.COM PARTS DIAGRAMS - GONE??? 09 Mar 2015 16:53 #663902

• wakeboardr42393
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Yaaayyyyy!!! this is good news indeed! :D i see that most of the bikes are still up, however, my 81 kz550 LTD is still unlisted. the kz550 standard is listed, but there are some differeing parts between the two models. obviously they were siuncere when saying they were worrking on us, I didn't know how much hope I had lol.

and mick, i'd prob be interested in one of those.
1981 Kawasaki KZ 550 LTD :)
1987 BMW 325is

KAWASAKI.COM PARTS DIAGRAMS - GONE??? 09 Mar 2015 17:11 #663903

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member

Zephyrrider wrote: If any of you would like a (US ) Kawasaki Parts CD all models 1966 - 1998 with cross references

I'd love one!

!Seymore wrote: ... maybe ship all to one address and we'll distribute from there.

It probably makes sense to just ship one, and make copies from that. I'd be willing to make copies for some other folks in the US, up to a point.

Zephyrrider, I'll send you a PM about getting a copy.
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zephyrrider