Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bulldock and Sanctuary... When money is no object. 22 Oct 2011 08:06 #484640

• 300kph
  • 300kph's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hey all...

It was thru this forum I first heard about Bulldock customs out of Japan. I ogled over a couple pics that were posted and thought to myself; "Some of those Japanese guys have waaay too much money"

I spent an hour or two this morning during a bout of insomnia and struggled with the translation and oddball picture viewers they use in Asia and also came across Sanctuary (another high-buck Japanese custom house)

Amazing pieces... with both companies seeming to specialize in KZ1000's, MKII, Z1Rs and 1000J's

While looking thru the galleries I wondered to myself if any of these bikes were sold by me when I worked in a Kawasaki dealership from 77-82.

Lemme explain: In the late 80's the market that once flourished here in Winnipeg Canada died. The helmet law, and skyrocketing insurance rates had many riders simply park their bikes. As well with the high cost of borrowing thrown into the equation 3 Kawasaki dealers folded & the 2 surviving shops stocked limited inventory. FYI: At one time Winnipeg had more motorcycles (per capita) than just about any North American city. There were 20+ dealerships in a town of 700,000 and many more in nearby rural communities.

Soon after this "Crash" (and I'm sure other people saw this) some local boys (aided by foreign investors) started buying up anything GPZ550 and up along with every Suzuki GS750 & 1100E and Honda CB900-1100F. Even Yamaha RD400's (once as abundant as mosquitoes here) were purchased by the dozen, loaded in containers and sent back to the place of their birth.

It really peeved me as these guys were paying low prices for the bikes and making huge profits. Now, I probably wouldn't have complained if it was me who was getting rich but it really hurt the used market here. The typical line they used was "This is your best, last chance to sell that bike... No one here will ever buy it and if you hang onto it it'll be worthless" (Remember, these were per-Internet days)

15 - 20 years later some decent "barn bikes" and survivors show up but they are few and far between. On one hand I am happy some of these bikes went on to get turned into some amazing customs but sad that they are lost from here forever.

The economy here in Canada (not unlike the US) is in a bit of a downturn and that combined with the North American obsession with the V-Twin leaves fewer Vintage Japanese fans and precious few Japanese custom houses (to my limited knowledge anyway) Of course there are our friends at Redline who churn out gorgeous pieces but no one I am aware of that does it to the degree of Bulldock or Sanctuary.

I suppose it is Japanese pride and the fact they probably have lots of very wealthy enthusiasts that fuels their market. It seems they prefer to go in the direction of the "Hyper-Classic" as opposed to restoration with light mods (headers etc) which I seem to see more of here.

If money is no object these amazing Japanese builders can put you astride a $50,000 resto-mod punched out to 1,200cc or more with every pricy suspension, brake, exhaust component and Racer-X accessory you can imagine.

I've posted a few pics here for those (like me until recently) not completely aware of what they are doing in the land of the Rising Sun...

Here's an hi-rez picture of a classic Z1 that has been completely re-engineered:

And a link to an Ultra Hi-Rez picture of the same bike: (just click the picture to expand it to huge detail)
Bulldock Z1

Some smaller pics of some other gorgeous rides.

KZ1000J, Z1R and MKII (Also Bulldock)

The Bulldock bikes seem to have striking similarities as they appear to favor certain components.

Here are a couple by Sanctuary:

I love the "Rainbow" treatment of the exhaust. Anyone know what kind of pipe sets they use?

What is your opinion of these Asian beauties?

Anyone in North America making anything comparable?

I still run into old customers of mine (I sold over 500 bikes in my 5+ years in the business) and say "What did you ever do with that KZ1300?" or "Still got that KZ1000?" and they often say they sold it to some guy who was buying bikes and they regret letting it go.

The Japanese economy despite all the grief they have endured lately still seems strong, and the market for big-buck customs there has not seemed to have suffered. But... Ya better have deep pockets with plenty of Yen!

W
1978 KZ1000 D1 (Z1R)
1979 KZ1000 A3 (MKII)
1979 Honda CBX (Candy Glory Red)
1980 Suzuki GS1100E (Silver)
1980 Suzuki GS1100E (Red)
1978 Yamaha XS1100
1982 Suzuki GSX1100S (Katana)
1984 Kawasaki KZ1100R (Silver)
2004 Honda Rune (Bloodstone Red)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by 300kph.

Bulldock and Sanctuary... When money is no object. 22 Oct 2011 09:28 #484643

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
  • Thank you received: 82
Yep, we have some Sanctuary and Bulldock fans here. IIRC one of the members inquired about having a Sanctuary bike built and the quote was something like $37,000 US. :ohmy:

On that last Z1R, the picture of the dash has me laughing. My ZX-10r Ninja has that same digital speedometer/tachometer. It has to be the most useless tach on any vehicle that I have ever owned. I have always wanted to put a different dash on that bike to eliminate that thing.

BTW, the rainbow colored exhaust is titanium. I can't remember the name of the company who makes them at the moment, but they are in Japan. Z1Enterprises can order them for you. I believe that they sell for about $2800.
1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Bulldock and Sanctuary... When money is no object. 22 Oct 2011 09:34 #484644

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 294
I was reading something recently where the writer mentioned that the focus on motorcycles in Japan has shifted towards scooters rather than motorcycles and that customizers (like Bulldock, etc.) were in a slump. I am not aware of anyone in North America doing anything resembling Sanctuary, etc. (Redline is very mild comparatively). Europe has (had) some shops doing similar customs to the Japanese, but that may have slowed down.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: by Mcdroid.

Bulldock and Sanctuary... When money is no object. 22 Oct 2011 10:38 #484651

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
  • Thank you received: 235
i need to read what folks are saying,better so i am not flaming on one here.... and yes i sold a few bikes to those boys to in tail of the 80's...but these bikes they make there dont flow so well,shit the ones they built that rocked ...amercans either desigened or built...then these guys get em back and make bazoooka bikes and grilled side covers....they look like they are paying homage to their home 400cc ultra market... the last two aside..the Z1 does work imo and "flows"...but money and good parts still dont get me wet.....if you ruin a decent Z you are an idiot and building gsxr out of harley has been done ,same thing here...look at the seat on that goofy friggin j bike...and they got more directions going than my spirograph when i was 9 and sniffed glue.....

those bikes suck.....i would not want even ride around with the dude cause it would hurt their feelings too much at every stop when folks ignored their bikes and walked straight to my beater luminious blue flat seater ....they look like some fag at the bar with a 6000 watch trying to pick up girls working at wal mart....

but then again there is an elephasnt that paints and gets 5000 for originals.....go figure
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Bulldock and Sanctuary... When money is no object. 22 Oct 2011 10:41 #484652

• trianglelaguna
  • User
and again....they are gods among bikes....but cept for those last two..they sit wrong and appear to be ready to show the rider a good crash soon....the 1/4 faring second three scare me...that white Z1-R

that works for me
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Last edit: by trianglelaguna.

Bulldock and Sanctuary... When money is no object. 22 Oct 2011 11:02 #484654

• trianglelaguna
  • User
i just want the bolts and few things...think 10,000 u,s would get me started
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Bulldock and Sanctuary... When money is no object. 22 Oct 2011 12:01 #484660

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
Blah-Blah-Blah Craiggy... :P

I have to say I do like this one....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

Bulldock and Sanctuary... When money is no object. 22 Oct 2011 12:19 #484662

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

trianglelaguna wrote: ....they look like some fag at the bar with a 6000 watch trying to pick up girls working at wal mart....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Or a lady of the night with too much makeup...pink and blue exhaust systems etc. ??? And why draw so much attention to plumbing and cables - i.e. the throttle cables exiting the throttles up above the handlebars as it they're some decorative item?? Looks like something Astro Boy would ride. :laugh:
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Bulldock and Sanctuary... When money is no object. 22 Oct 2011 12:36 #484664

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor

testarossa wrote: BTW, the rainbow colored exhaust is titanium. I can't remember the name of the company who makes them at the moment, but they are in Japan. Z1Enterprises can order them for you. I believe that they sell for about $2800.

Was that PMC? www.win-pmc.com/
www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/326165-pmc-japan

Hmm..maybe not.

Last edit: by DoubleDub.

Bulldock and Sanctuary... When money is no object. 22 Oct 2011 12:46 #484666

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299

Old Man Rock wrote: Blah-Blah-Blah Craiggy... :P

I have to say I do like this one....

maybe if they got rid of the gay looking exhuast and put a rear fender on it! :woohoo:
that silver z1r looks close to rideable,again ditch the gay exhuast and put a full set of side covers on there after ditching those rear footpegs. B)

Attachment z1r.jpg not found

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

Bulldock and Sanctuary... When money is no object. 22 Oct 2011 13:57 #484677

• 300kph
  • 300kph's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
LOL! I never even noticed the chopped sidecover till u mentioned it.

Great debate! I'm glad I posted this,

W
1978 KZ1000 D1 (Z1R)
1979 KZ1000 A3 (MKII)
1979 Honda CBX (Candy Glory Red)
1980 Suzuki GS1100E (Silver)
1980 Suzuki GS1100E (Red)
1978 Yamaha XS1100
1982 Suzuki GSX1100S (Katana)
1984 Kawasaki KZ1100R (Silver)
2004 Honda Rune (Bloodstone Red)

Last edit: by 300kph.

Bulldock and Sanctuary... When money is no object. 22 Oct 2011 16:02 #484700

• trianglelaguna
  • User

they would take this...and turn it into a p.o.s.......how they gonna fix something they know nothing about in their culture...they sold these...but we made em...

you gonna put a fj1300 rim on this and elec tach of a p.o.s ujm circaq 2004 and call it the shit.....nice try boys
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Attachments: