Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ900 Streetfighter 10 Apr 2016 19:30 #720246

• DoubleZed
  • DoubleZed's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Because one Zed just isn't enough
  • Thank you received: 9
I know I haven't been around here for a long time; a lot of things have happened. I've been in school since summer 2014 and the kz got finished as fast as I could before the semester started. I'll upload some pics of it from that summer. But I never really got to ride it that year, not until last summer was I able to address a lingering issue that folks have encountered with these fork conversions. The ride height tends to drop a lot and when moving, header scrapes are constantly in-mind. I machined a beautiful set of slip-on fork extenders that added 2 inches to the front. I don't think I ever machined anything that precise before. Anyway, it reduced the dragging a significant amount and I could have softened up the rear preload some but I left it alone. I feel this plays a big part in what happened after I began riding the bike at school at the end of last year. It was a joy to cruise around, and I made a few trips into the surrounding countryside; it felt solid and very controllable, high speed stability felt on point and I was thrilled with it. One night while returning home from a friend's place, I was twisting through an S turn and on the way out I suddenly lost traction at the rear wheel. I went down on my right side and messed my shoulder up. The bike and I survived, although we were both a little beat up. It was a dry night, and after looking over the scene, there was no apparent reason for the loss of traction - no oil slick, no water, no debris from the roadside. My brother and I concluded that the suspension being so tight coupled with a steep bank angle and hard tire led to the suspension loading up to the point that the slightest tire slip was enough to overcome tire to pavement friction. I guess that is the risk of playing with your suspension or buying cheap tires. But that is the story of the street fighter project up to now; currently, I'm collecting parts for the rebuild and I'm excited to hear it run again in a few months. Sorry for the super long hiatus, guys.
Corbin Teal
1976 Kz900 project:
Rebuilt engine
Suzuki GSXR750 front end
ZX636 rear with GSXR600 shock
2009 Yamaha R1 wheels
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ900 Streetfighter 10 Apr 2016 19:47 #720248

• Stazi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
Dude, that looks frighten sweet!
82 KZ1000-K2 LTD

KZ900 Streetfighter 10 Apr 2016 20:45 #720252

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2624
Very nice. B)
Steve

KZ900 Streetfighter 11 Apr 2016 05:19 #720278

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
I like it !!!!
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

KZ900 Streetfighter 11 Apr 2016 08:11 #720319

• 650mod
  • User
  • Thank you received: 48
Looks great! Awesome attention to detail!

Devin
78 kz 650 custom
Wiseco 720cc big bore
Dynajet stage 3 carb kit with pods
2002 Kawasaki Z750 exhaust
2001 Buell lightning front end
1999 Ninja 600 swingarm with 1999 Ninja 900 rear rim
converted to monoshock rear
Too many goodies to list fully

KZ900 Streetfighter 11 Apr 2016 11:28 #720376

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
really cool build!

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

KZ900 Streetfighter 09 Jun 2016 19:49 #730762

• Julsruls
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Very nice

KZ900 Streetfighter 09 Jun 2016 20:09 #730765

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
you did a great job, sorry to hear about the crash. Do you have pictures of the fork extensions you made? I have the same issue with my GSXR 750 forks. I have purchased a set of GSXR1100 forks to replace them. That coupled with a custom 40mm drop.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Last edit: by kaw-a-holic.

KZ900 Streetfighter 13 Jun 2016 11:18 #731217

• DoubleZed
  • User
Just want to say thanks to everyone's encouragement throughout his build and thank you all for the replies; they've kept me going on this build.

Thanks Kaw-a-holic, I can snap some pics of the extensions for you later on today. I won't be able to take pics of the inside though, since I'd have to tear the whole front end off, but I think I can describe them to you enough to understand coupled with the photos.
Corbin Teal
1976 Kz900 project:
Rebuilt engine
Suzuki GSXR750 front end
2009 Yamaha R1 wheels

KZ900 Streetfighter 13 Jun 2016 19:05 #731281

• DoubleZed
  • User
Kaw-a-holic, I took a few pics of the extensions; I'm sorry about the quality, I had to use my cell since my regular camera was in-op. I tried to get a shot down inside to represent the step the strut rests on. In my research on these, I was surprised to find that they weren't clamped on, just machined to a barely slip over the top of the tube. I would like to have made them another inch taller, but the longest I saw was about three inches of rise, so I felt that it would be safer to stay with that dimension. For mine, I used a length of heavy wall tubing (2.5" OD X 1.5" ID, I think) and machined the step to be an inch deep, leaving the rest of the inside diameter at 1.5". After installing them, I found that I had to drop the headlight down some, which worked out for me since I wanted to drop the dash also - the gauge bracket is between the headlight and head tube.

Attachment IMG_0662.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0663.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0664.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0665.JPG not found

After looking at your build thread, holy smokes! The way your bike turned out is awesome! Excellent work!

Edit: no sure why the pics are rotated on here, they are right-side up on my computer...
Corbin Teal
1976 Kz900 project:
Rebuilt engine
Suzuki GSXR750 front end
2009 Yamaha R1 wheels
Attachments:

Last edit: by DoubleZed.

KZ900 Streetfighter 13 Jun 2016 19:49 #731291

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248

DoubleZed wrote: Kaw-a-holic, I took a few pics of the extensions; I'm sorry about the quality, I had to use my cell since my regular camera was in-op. I tried to get a shot down inside to represent the step the strut rests on. In my research on these, I was surprised to find that they weren't clamped on, just machined to a barely slip over the top of the tube. I would like to have made them another inch taller, but the longest I saw was about three inches of rise, so I felt that it would be safer to stay with that dimension. For mine, I used a length of heavy wall tubing (2.5" OD X 1.5" ID, I think) and machined the step to be an inch deep, leaving the rest of the inside diameter at 1.5". After installing them, I found that I had to drop the headlight down some, which worked out for me since I wanted to drop the dash also - the gauge bracket is between the headlight and head tube.

Attachment IMG_0662.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0663.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0664.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0665.JPG not found

After looking at your build thread, holy smokes! The way your bike turned out is awesome! Excellent work!

Edit: no sure why the pics are rotated on here, they are right-side up on my computer...

Thanks for the pics and the compliments, you have a nice build as well.. I was curious as I was going to make some and decided to go with a longer 1100 GSXR USD forks and a drop triple. Everyone gave me crazy eyes when I said I wanted to make fork extenders.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

KZ900 Streetfighter 14 Jun 2016 11:54 #731367

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
Very nice!

I have to say I really like the tail light.

Attachments: