Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

76 KZ900a semi restoration 09 Jul 2013 19:18 #595733

• Tomolu5
  • Tomolu5's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45
I have not noticed any such screws. I should be putting some wrenches to it later on tonight I'll take a look, and maybe I'll snap a couple pictures of the bottom side.
Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

76 KZ900a semi restoration 20 Jul 2013 12:37 #597445

• Tomolu5
  • User
Okay fellas, time for an update

FINALLY got it running pretty darn good, and here is how we got there. Mike at z1 gave me some pretty good advice on setting the float heights, and persuaded me to scrub out the gas tank. My old tuning oddities we a result of floats bleeding past, which I determined after seeing how well the new ones from z1E worked. Mike also told me that once I got the height set where I wanted it (leveled on a bench at 3mm below the carb body) to let it sit for 30 minutes, and the check to make sure it didn't bleed through. Just a little tip, I set my calipers at 3mm, and used them to make a scratch right on the bowl for easy reference. I also replaced the needle jets with new ones(small brass piece pressed in under main jet). So, my current tuning breakdown is

EXTRAS
-fresh head work and mild port clean up
-4 into 2 exhaust(ltd style with baffles molested)
-Transition from carb-boots-head smoothed out
-K&N RC-2222 filters
CARB
-3mm float height
-17.5 pilot jet
-2 turns out air screw
-stock slide cut away
-needle clip is one half setting richer than stock(made a washer at .020") which holds the needle
at 3.5 slots from the top
-120 main jet
IGNITION
-dyna s
-dyna green coils
-accel solid core wires 7mm
-NGK B8ES plugs gapped at .035"
-Timing set at stock setting
-Coil Mod

Photos of process to follow
Mine:
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

76 KZ900a semi restoration 20 Jul 2013 12:53 #597446

• Tomolu5
  • User

Attachment Rustytank.jpg not found

This was my tanks former condition

Attachment wrappingfordryer.jpg not found

so I started with a fistful of drywall screws, and some square nuts, threw them into the tank(after rinsing) and started wrapping it in towels to go in the dryer. my wife was NOT cool with this!

Attachment Intothedryer.jpg not found

A couple of life jackets made for a pretty good final coat. when I put it into the dryer I stuffed towels around it to prevent bouncing around.

The next step was 3 sequential soakings with a product called rust disolver, sorry no pics.

Attachment cleaningtank.jpg not found

all corked up while swishing rust solution around, for the final soaking, I put some drywall screws in there and shook it a good bit

Attachment cleantank.jpg not found

This is pretty much the result, There is still some rust in there, but not nearly as much, I may have the tank coated at a local radiator shop over the winter.

Attachment dirtycock.jpg not found

This is how I found my petcock

Attachment Carbbottom.jpg not found

and a carb body picture as promised, no fuel screw that I can see
Mine:
Attachments:

76 KZ900a semi restoration 20 Jul 2013 13:05 #597447

• Tomolu5
  • User
In other news I won a left side cover on ebay, and I though it was green, turns out it was just a black repop, probly photographed cleverly, but it was only $40 so no biggie. I happened to notice a color that looked reasonably close in the duplicolor isle at my local auto store, so i tried it. The shade of green was a little to brite, but I just sprayed a very light coat over a clear adhesion promoter,which left the black plastic as the base color, so that darkend it up fairly well. after a couple dustings of color I sprayed a bunch of coats of clear, and let it dry a couple days before wet sanding and buffing

Attachment sidecover.jpg not found

This is before sanding, and the color aint perfect, but when installed on the side, it is not at all noticeable. I would bet if I had a can of black involved I could have nailed it. Not bad at all for a $60 dollar investment. If anybody wants that color code just holler, I will retrive the can for yall
Mine:
Attachments:

Last edit: by Tomolu5. Reason: whoops

76 KZ900a semi restoration 20 Jul 2013 13:25 #597448

• Tomolu5
  • User
And now for the bad...
I replaced the steering stem bearings, and cleaned up the front break(which works terribly, would not lock the tire up in gravel). My plan was to gather the parts to swap to a dual setup(all parts are on way). apparently I didn't properly torque the top caliper bolt on reassembly, and it worked itself out about 2 miles down the road (with my wife on the back). I was slowing for a red light when I heard something go wrong...clink, bang, pow...and no brake pressure. I felt like I was losing the front wheel, so I pointed it at the grass, and scrubbed speed a quickly as possible with the rear(only about 30 mph). I am happy to say it was an uneventful emergency stop, and my front wheel is still intact, but my lower fork leg is toast, and so are my brake lines. The worst part of this is that I wanted to ride the bike to mid ohio today, and the thing is out of commision till the ebay fork and new brakes get here :angry: I am considering rigging it up, so it works(not for highway use) just so I can trailer it out there tomorrow to use for a pit bike.

Attachment Thedamage.jpg not found

lost that lower lug. Im sure that for pit bike purposes tie wire could fill in, as long as I was sure to only use rear

Attachment toreupbrakeline.jpg not found

Brake line got tore up in the process.

I have a whole new setup coming, I just hope I can get it together by next weekend for mods vs. rockers pittsburgh eddition.

Just goes to show you, if it aint one F@#$^%* thing its another. future front brake systems WILL be safety wired
Mine:
Attachments:

Last edit: by Tomolu5.

76 KZ900a semi restoration 20 Jul 2013 14:50 #597455

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72
go stand in the corner!

brake caliper bolts dont undo themselves unless you didn't torque them....sounds more like they were finger tight

could be a bad one, guess you know that

that said, you could reweld that broken ear.

76 KZ900a semi restoration 20 Jul 2013 15:16 #597457

• Tomolu5
  • User
Yeeeeppp

Definitely my fault, I'm sure I just zapped them on with an impact. The broken piece was nowhere to be found, and I was pulled over in a busy intersection. I think it may have been bad lock washer placement as well...dumbass any way you put it! New parts are enroute. I will be standing in the corner waiting
Mine:

76 KZ900a semi restoration 25 Apr 2014 10:02 #630366

• Tomolu5
  • User
Okay, its been quite some time since I updated here. So here it goes
-swapped in dual rotors&calipers
-very little improvement in braking
-got a master from a zx6d(where I'm at now)
-cut up the clapped out master cylinder from the dual disk buy to make a mirror mount(wanted a stockish look)
-got my buddy to make a reservoir for me(no fairing to hide the cheesy plastic tank that came with it)
-ordered stainless line, rebuild kits, and pads
I still have to sand/smooth/paint / and Polish the bits, but you get the idea.
Mine:
Attachments:

76 KZ900a semi restoration 25 Apr 2014 13:22 #630415

• floivanus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116
Nice build so far, one note though, a fullsize kz1000 tank dont fit in my drier, so i just jack up my truck so both tires are off the ground and leave it in nuetral to tumble them. Two tanks at once with the posi.

Instead of pissing off the wife though it makes a neighborhood affair out of it
my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

76 KZ900a semi restoration 04 May 2014 08:27 #631281

• Tomolu5
  • User
I wasn't feeling the look of my mirror mount, so I cut one out of the same stock from the reservoir holder. I am also happy to report that I ebayed the matching 98-zx6r clutch perch, and the was a hole plugged on it, when I pulled the plug, inside I found the proper threats for my stock mirrors. Now I just have to wait for the new levers to show up. In the meantime I am tinkering with making a new distribution block for the front brakes.
Mine:
Attachments:

76 KZ900a semi restoration 05 May 2014 00:26 #631354

• Tomolu5
  • User
I'm looking for a little input, I thought the stock brake splitter looked kind of ugly, and I plan to wire in the switch that is on my master cylinder instead of the pressure switch. So I dumped a few hours into making my own distribution block. I'm not married to it, but I do think that if I found an engraver to put a Kawasaki "K" in it that would sell it to me.
Mine:

Last edit: by Tomolu5.

76 KZ900a semi restoration 05 May 2014 00:34 #631355

• Tomolu5
  • User
I didn't think to snap a before picture, but I'm sure I can dig one up if needed.
Mine:
Attachments: