Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

76 KZ900a semi restoration 21 Jun 2012 22:54 #530874

• Tomolu5
  • Tomolu5's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45
Well, the ride went pretty good, definitly need to get the carbs dialed in though, it not too bad though, just kind of gurgles, and hurled, with the occasional fart down at idle. No backfires or anything of that nature. Took a second to get it to run, had to bury the idle adjuster. Once I fiddled with the idle air screws the idle came up some and I was able to back it off some. I think I want to get a couple hundred miles on it before I give it the punishment of doin a carb sync. The idle air screws were kind of unresponsive though, Im kind of thinking maybe they are pretty far out of sync, and need "roughed in" in order to set the rest of the carbs up. It also seems to miss just as you roll into the throttle, like 0-1/8. I dunno, any ideas? Also seems pretty good through midrange, maybe just a wee bit flat towards the top, it didn't really tread into mega high rpms, but it should have been pulling a little harder on the approach. All in all though, ran pretty good. Any ideas guys?
Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

76 KZ900a semi restoration 21 Jun 2012 23:38 #530881

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Tomolu5 wrote: ...idle air screws were kind of unresponsive though....

Would suspect imperfect carb pilot circuits.

For a proper carb sync, the carbs should be otherwise perfect.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tomolu5

76 KZ900a semi restoration 22 Jun 2012 00:42 #530890

• Tomolu5
  • User
I'll pop them back off and give it a try, thanks

It's also worth a mention that I plan to scrap the pods in favor of a set of k&n rc-2222's
Mine:
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

Last edit: by Tomolu5.

76 KZ900a semi restoration 22 Jun 2012 18:49 #531074

• Tomolu5
  • User
well, that definitely made an improvement, but carb number four is still unresponsive, I can actually remove the Idle screw without making a difference. Im not to sure about the condition of the screws themselves either, gonna try to track down some new ones, it seems as though the plating is coming off.

Attachment IMAG0205.jpg not found

Attachment IMAG0206.jpg not found

I also have a question for you patton, exactly how long are your fingers? :laugh: covering #1 while spraying into #2 seems rather impossible. Here is a suggestion for those of us with stumpy little fingers :laugh:

Attachment IMAG0207.jpg not found

You can really see whats going on with the plating in this one too.

Im planning on re-checking the float level, and trying a preliminary balance when I get a chance to put some time into it, kinda jammed up the rest of the weekend. Any and all suggestions are welcomed, By the way, thanks patton
Mine:
Attachments:

76 KZ900a semi restoration 22 Jun 2012 19:11 #531081

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Tomolu5 wrote: ... carb number four is still unresponsive, I can actually remove the Idle screw without making a difference. Im not to sure about the condition of the screws themselves either, gonna try to track down some new ones, it seems as though the plating is coming off...
Here is a suggestion for those of us with stumpy little fingers.
You can really see whats going on with the plating in this one too.
Im planning on re-checking the float level....

Am liking that suggestion! :lol:

When idle speed rpm isn't influenced by turning the pilot air screw, there's likely trouble still remaining inside the carb.

Am not particularly suspicious of the deteriorated plating on tip of the pilot air screw.
But could swap it with one of the others to see whether the lack of response follows the screw (which I doubt).

Could also swap the pilot jet with one of the others to see whether it makes any difference.
Sometimes a new pilot jet resolves the issue. (It did for me one time, even when the old jet looked okay.)

Held up to the light, should be able to see clearly through a perfectly round orifice in the pilot jet.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

76 KZ900a semi restoration 06 Jul 2012 20:04 #534331

• vernons
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
jeff,
you can get 1 of those breather filters at autozone... found them there for my bike's..

76 KZ900a semi restoration 07 Jul 2012 03:37 #534421

• Tomolu5
  • User
Well, had her out for a nice ride tonight, got together with an old riding buddy and did about 80 miles of back country roads, then down through the city(girl watching :evil: ) just got home a little bit ago. it is still running pretty poorly, but I wanted to put on some miles and get the rings seated before I punish it more by tinkering with carbs and syncing them and such. It is VERY rich at idle (17.5 pilot jets), so I wonder if that has to do with my unresponsive idle screws? I got Three sets of brand new pilot jets(15/17.5/20) in the mail today, along with a couple mains, so I will replace the pilots in the morning, clean them again, and fiddle with them to no doubt get little to no results :angry: . even still, riding that old bike tonight made me so freaking happy, took quite a load off my shoulders, alot of stupid crap has been pissin me off lately, and that was just the psychologist visit I needed
Mine:

76 KZ900a semi restoration 07 Jul 2012 07:44 #534433

• LarryC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309

Tomolu5 wrote: Well, had her out for a nice ride tonight, got together with an old riding buddy and did about 80 miles of back country roads, then down through the city(girl watching :evil: ) just got home a little bit ago. it is still running pretty poorly, but I wanted to put on some miles and get the rings seated before I punish it more by tinkering with carbs and syncing them and such. It is VERY rich at idle (17.5 pilot jets), so I wonder if that has to do with my unresponsive idle screws? I got Three sets of brand new pilot jets(15/17.5/20) in the mail today, along with a couple mains, so I will replace the pilots in the morning, clean them again, and fiddle with them to no doubt get little to no results :angry: . even still, riding that old bike tonight made me so freaking happy, took quite a load off my shoulders, alot of stupid crap has been pissin me off lately, and that was just the psychologist visit I needed

That's the beauty of riding :) All the bothersome things in life vanish and you get your focus back....

Do a design fuel level check before you do anything else to the carbs and adjust your floats as needed to get it correct. If you don't get that correct, you can chase your tail with jetting.

Fire it up and ride down on Sunday if you feel like it. I'll take a look at it. Just let me know first so I can plan on being home :)
Larry C.

76 KZ900a semi restoration 29 Jul 2012 18:55 #539430

• Tomolu5
  • User
Well, finally got down to wrench on her a little today. The first thing I did was went through and set the timing(thanks OMR). After that I replaced the pilot jets with new(17.5) Then fired her up. It is still running somewhat rich, But cylinders 3&4 seem to be cutting in and out. I am pretty sure it is fouling them with oil on start up, which I am hoping is because the rings haven't seated yet, It will blow smoke for about the first 20-30 seconds from a cold start. I was running br8es plugs(non resistor caps or wires), but noticed a bit of improvement with regular b8es plugs, so I went to the auto parts store and cleaned them out on my way home. at any rate, my plan is to run a tank or so through it(with seafoam) and mess with the airscrews here and there, and try to keep an eye on if its missing or not. Oh yeah, also installed my new 4-way switch, and changed the brake fluid. While there I discovered that I don't need a whole front wheel, there are bolt holes for another rotor on right side already, so that was an upside! Any ideas will likely be heeded :)
Mine:

76 KZ900a semi restoration 29 Jul 2012 19:41 #539436

• Tomolu5
  • User
Ah yes, snapped a pic or two as well

Attachment uploadfromtaptalk1343601628608.jpg not found

Attachment uploadfromtaptalk1343601658185.jpg not found

Attachment uploadfromtaptalk1343601703203.jpg not found

Mine:
Attachments:

76 KZ900a semi restoration 30 Jul 2012 10:38 #539541

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
progress is progress :lol: .

is that the supercharged ls based engine in the caddy ?

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

76 KZ900a semi restoration 30 Jul 2012 10:45 #539544

• Tomolu5
  • User
Yep, that's the old boys, camaro is mine, impala is mums. That caddy is freakin sick though.
Mine: