Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

IT RUNS!!!!!!! 25 May 2015 19:31 #673745

• Tyler
  • Tyler's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 92
I fixed the coolant leak, when I first installed the new thermostat the NOS gasket I got had gotten brittle with age and split when I tightened it down. I grabbed the pattern gasket out of the kit I had, but it wasn't thick enough to seal properly and caused a leak. I got another NOS gasket that time has been kinder too, that solved my problem.

I ran the bike again and let it get up to temp, the fan cycled correctly. Still running too rich though. I took the carbs off and put the stock size pilots in and dropped the needles one clip to the "stock" location. I compared the needled to old stock ones I have and they re identical apart from the adjustable ring groves. I will run it again and see how it does. I had the idle air screws out way to far trying to compensate so I will put them back at 3-1/2 turns.

The tank covers and fender is at a local body shop. They are slow this time of year and take on little stuff to keep people busy. The owner was going to quote me after talking to his paint supplier, if its not too steep I will have it done. It won't be black but I'm going with a current Kawasaki color... Golden Blaze Green.

Attachment image9.jpg not found

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

IT RUNS!!!!!!! 25 May 2015 22:04 #673767

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Sounds good. Crisp too.
Steve

IT RUNS!!!!!!! 26 May 2015 12:00 #673856

• Tyler
  • User
Yeah it does have a unique sound to it, sounds more Jaguar than Kawasaki... They were not messing around when they thought up this engine.

It should be a blast to drive.

'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

Last edit: by Tyler.

IT RUNS!!!!!!! 26 May 2015 12:00 #673857

• Tyler
  • User
The body shop called me back, and talked with him about options, the Kawi Green is a Tri-coat and the paint is pricey. I can use GM's paint fro the new Camaro, Synergy Green.

Same kind of look...

Attachment 7107672495_061a72f1c5_b-2.jpg not found

"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Attachments:

IT RUNS!!!!!!! 30 May 2015 15:48 #674539

• peter1958
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 198
That will look nice! Nice build.

IT RUNS!!!!!!! 30 May 2015 16:35 #674546

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
The Kaw paint seems to have a more metal look.
Steve

IT RUNS!!!!!!! 09 Jun 2015 07:39 #675859

• Tyler
  • User
Another update, the body work is at the auto body shop, I stripped the fender and the tank myself. I had an issue with the epoxy lining that was put into the tank a few years back. Back then I did not plan on painting the bike, so I just wanted the tank sealed. I should have just stripped the thing to begin with instead of having it lined. Methylene Chloride was unable to remove the stuff completely so I had to have the tank dipped in a hot caustic bath, where it will sit for a few weeks.

I got the carbs set up and ran the bike again, I had a strange problem with #4 cylinder dropping out. It turned out to be a defective spark plug... they were brand new and Im still scratching my head about that one. Once I figured that out, I checked the timing, set the idle air screws and balanced the carbs. Starts, runs, idles, no leaks.. good to go!

I picked up a carb balancing tool, I am pretty happy with it, and it can be used as a generic vacuum gauge if need be too. Its not a monometer, each slide is its own gauge. Its a Morgan Carbtune, the exchange rate is pretty favorable right now so its not that much more expensive than the alternatives.

Attachment SSL11411LC1.jpg not found

"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Attachments:

IT RUNS!!!!!!! 09 Jun 2015 08:21 #675864

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Does it have mercury in it like mine?
Steve

Attachments:

Oh NO! What have I done! My new KZ1300 19 Jun 2015 11:46 #677286

• Tyler
  • User
Went through the rear brake with a K&L seal kit and picked up some organic pads. Freshened up the paint while I was at it.

Attachment 20150619_130238.jpg not found

Replaced the rear tire with a Shinko 230 130/90V-17. These bikes are notorious for chewing up rear tires ( I can't imagine why :whistle: ) and guys over on the 1300 forum have had good luck with these tires. It was $63 online, making it one of the cheapest tires available. Shinko has some relationship with Yokahama or so I hear, and the quality is actually quite good. It did not take much weight to balance, which is usually a sign of a decent tire.

Attachment 20150619_130129.jpg not found

"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Attachments:

Oh NO! What have I done! My new KZ1300 17 Jul 2015 22:54 #681459

• Tyler
  • User
Progress has been slow, I still don't have my gas tank back yet but I expect it in a few days. I have been busy with a major project at work and that has slowed things down. I did get the forks off and put new seals in, It was not as bad as I thought, the jack point on the front of the engine works well even without a center stand,

Attachment 22.jpg not found

Attachment 23.jpg not found

Attachment 21.jpg not found

I used OEM seals and 15wt fork oil. This bike has a small hose that connects the fork tubes together just below the triple tree to equalize the air pressure. I was able to leave that stuff alone and pull the tubes out without taking all that stuff apart.

I have to do the front breaks, and I did get a stainless steel line kit, but it did not fit and the company is sending me another one. I also discovered that my front tire has issues. When I pulled it off there was a soft spot on the side wall. The rubber felt sticky. I could dig my fingernail into the rubber. The spot had swollen a bit near the rim. Something must had gotten spilled on it a long time ago, maybe it sat with break fluid on it or something...?? Anyway its bad enough I should replace the tire.

"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Attachments:

Oh NO! What have I done! My new KZ1300 03 Aug 2015 21:49 #684184

• Tyler
  • User
I finally got my gas tank back from the caustic dip, 6 weeks in caustic did nothing the epoxy layer inside... :pinch: :sick:

I experimented with a few chemicals (no not that kind :whistle: ) and found that pure methylene chloride (lab grade stuff not just pain stripper) dissolved the old liner, but then forms a stronger polymer after it sets up again. MEK does work but even when soft I couldn't get the stuff out of the tank. So I tried the "dry wall screw" trick... and that worked.

Attachment 31.jpg not found

Attachment 37.jpg not found

Using MEK to soften the layer, the screws to work it loose from the metal, and a boat load of acetone to rinse it out. Only took 4 hours of shaking, rinsing, shaking, rinsing.... yup it sucked.

After the acetone started come out clear I pulled the screws out with a magnet and rinsed the tank a few more times. Most of the old epoxy is out, the outside of the tank was a mess, and when the acetone and MEK evaporated off the epoxy set up in the garbage can... that stuff just won't give up.

Attachment 38.jpg not found

Attachment 35.jpg not found

Attachment 36.jpg not found

I cleaned the tank up with a wire brush and even more solvent... finally ready for the paint shop.

Attachment 39.jpg not found

Attachment 40.jpg not found

"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Attachments:

Oh NO! What have I done! My new KZ1300 04 Aug 2015 08:08 #684246

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37
Wow.... just wow. I am new to bikes, but not new to building and wrenching and this is quite the incredible project to watch and see unfold! Congrats on all of the amazing progress, not to mention how clean and well thought out the work is! Congrats and best of luck getting her done soon ;)
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider