Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Anyone ridden a Buell? Advice on swapping ? 18 Jul 2021 08:46 #851966

• detmeyer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I was very interested in the Buell Thunderbolts at one time.  Then one day, I saw one idling at a traffic light and the engine shook so bad that it looked like it would break free of the frame.  That put me off and haven't desired one since.
"...and one day, I'll be dead yo yo yo."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anyone ridden a Buell? Advice on swapping ? 20 Jul 2021 10:58 #852121

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664

I was very interested in the Buell Thunderbolts at one time.  Then one day, I saw one idling at a traffic light and the engine shook so bad that it looked like it would break free of the frame.  That put me off and haven't desired one since.

At Idle Harley engines vibrate pretty bad, but because these vibrations are the product of secondary imbalance, they almost completely disappear when you are riding. Surprisingly smooth at speed.

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

Anyone ridden a Buell? Advice on swapping ? 20 Jul 2021 11:25 #852123

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast
  • Thank you received: 250

Thanks for all the great feedback guys   its great to have a good insight into different bikes, I've been toying with the idea of a Buell for so long but now I think I would probably be a bit disappointed! I'd really love either an old 900 or the gpz 750 turbo in an ideal world but I cant afford either! I toyed with the idea of buying a rolling 900 chassis and transferring as much of my 1000st over as possible and converting the motor to chain drive but I just cant bring myself to butcher the old st and the outcome would be so wrong in so many ways! 

Im in the middle of a ST chain conversion as we speak, i bought a frame and lower end with no drive for good money the bottom end is all but finished and im saving the pennies for the head to be sorted up in Dublin, ill be posting a build soon enough if your interested in the conversion.

06 Gsf 1200 bandit, 08 Triumph tiger 1010
05 Yam xv1700 , 02 Hon shadow 1100
1975 Z1 (currently working on)
1977 Z1000 ( running and in storage)
1978 Z1000 (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "skinny tank" (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "fat tank (gathering parts)
1979 z1000st (currently working on)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sheath

Anyone ridden a Buell? Advice on swapping ? 20 Jul 2021 11:53 #852126

• Sheath
  • Sheath's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 05 17 1984
  • Thank you received: 14
Hey kz streetfighter 71 ,yes I'm very interested in seeing your conversion   like I say I have toyed with the idea myself, one day when I've saved enough money I'd love to tune the motor the way they used to by good gas flowing and dialling the cams in properly etc, maybe even little trumpets on the carbs with the jetting sorted of course, but I dont know if it would be right to do that and keep it shaft drive, I just think chain drive seems more "right" if you start tuning....

Anyone ridden a Buell? Advice on swapping ? 20 Jul 2021 17:29 #852163

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245
I rode a lightning once but it was a race bike, carbon wheels, etc.  I was on a zx6r at the time and I remember the Buell being very torquey.  
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sheath

Anyone ridden a Buell? Advice on swapping ? 21 Jul 2021 11:31 #852202

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast
  • Thank you received: 250

Hey kz streetfighter 71 ,yes I'm very interested in seeing your conversion   like I say I have toyed with the idea myself, one day when I've saved enough money I'd love to tune the motor the way they used to by good gas flowing and dialling the cams in properly etc, maybe even little trumpets on the carbs with the jetting sorted of course, but I dont know if it would be right to do that and keep it shaft drive, I just think chain drive seems more "right" if you start tuning....

Well the frame is out for powder coat and im off up to Sligo on Sunday to help strip a donor bike bike down to get the front and back end for it, soon as i know everything is going to work together ill be starting the thread but like i said the lower end is all but finished just some machining to do on the inner sprocket cover this week coming.

06 Gsf 1200 bandit, 08 Triumph tiger 1010
05 Yam xv1700 , 02 Hon shadow 1100
1975 Z1 (currently working on)
1977 Z1000 ( running and in storage)
1978 Z1000 (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "skinny tank" (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "fat tank (gathering parts)
1979 z1000st (currently working on)

Anyone ridden a Buell? Advice on swapping ? 21 Jul 2021 16:31 #852223

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

Thanks for all the great feedback guys   its great to have a good insight into different bikes, I've been toying with the idea of a Buell for so long but now I think I would probably be a bit disappointed! I'd really love either an old 900 or the gpz 750 turbo in an ideal world but I cant afford either! I toyed with the idea of buying a rolling 900 chassis and transferring as much of my 1000st over as possible and converting the motor to chain drive but I just cant bring myself to butcher the old st and the outcome would be so wrong in so many ways! 

Im in the middle of a ST chain conversion as we speak, i bought a frame and lower end with no drive for good money the bottom end is all but finished and im saving the pennies for the head to be sorted up in Dublin, ill be posting a build soon enough if your interested in the conversion.

I;ll pop in for a look.      The guy who's shop I'm using for my Moriwaki build used to convert XS1100's to chain drive to use in his speedway sidecar outfits....

Anyone ridden a Buell? Advice on swapping ? 30 Jul 2021 17:10 #852877

• PA_Robert
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Anyway to take the the kawi off the road and get a Buell? or is cost of bike that's limiting?

I just think to find a "replacement" classic Kawasaki down the road if you change your mind, would be expensive.

I tried a Buell M2 when I was looking for a more modern "sport bike". . Buells were not bad. They smooth out at higher revs. But I ended up with a Hinckley 1998 Trident 900 with an aftermarket fairing. Love that bike. 

Still might get a Buell but my available riding time is limited. Trying to split it between 5 bikes now. And BTW I don't have a ton of money in the five bikes. I like variety so I have to choose wisely. My five cost less than the single Harley bagger my friend just bought. 4 out of the five, I'd take anywhere for any length trip. 

• Page: