Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

USD Forks 08 Aug 2023 00:52 #888042

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1468

Some progress on the conversion axle. Pretty simple design really, just ends that fit the ZX6R forks and steps down to the Zephyr axle size. I'm no engineer, just because I can draw this stuff doesn't mean I know if it's a good design. I worry that the larger diameter butted right up to the smaller diameter would create a weak spot. I also think it might be on the bulky and heavy side. But in theory, it should work.

I had hoped to include an interface for the speedo drive, but it won't work the way I had planned. Still exploring ideas.

Any input welcome. And does anyone here have a 3D printer they would be willing to prototype parts for me? Just to test fit stuff before I commit to having anything made in metal. 

That axle will work no problem, i've done similar.
Have you looked to see at just changing wheel bearings for ones that fit the Zeph wheel and have the id for the ZX6 axle if they exist.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Stereordinary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

USD Forks 08 Aug 2023 08:10 #888046

• Stereordinary
  • User
  • Thank you received: 132
Wookie suggested that earlier in this thread. I’m still doing the research on that to see if it would work, where i could get it done, and what it would cost. 
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)

USD Forks 08 Aug 2023 08:39 #888047

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User

Wookie suggested that earlier in this thread. I’m still doing the research on that to see if it would work, where i could get it done, and what it would cost. 
Just measure the Zephs wheel bearing OD and the ZX6 's id and see if there's a bearing available with those dimensions.
Sometimes you get one with the correct dims but the width may be slightly wider or narrower which is usuallly an easy fix with wider or narrower wheel spacers or shorter bearing spacer in the wheel.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

Last edit: by zed1015.

USD Forks 08 Aug 2023 09:14 #888048

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1789

Just measure the Zephs wheel bearing OD and the ZX6 's id and see if there's a bearing available with those dimensions.
Sometimes you get one with the correct dims but the width may be slightly wider or narrower which is usuallly an easy fix with wider or narrower wheel spacers or shorter bearing spacer in the wheel.
Zed check out page 2 of the thread, it looks like there is an off the shelf bearing solution (I got the sizes from "all balls" website) if these bearings are suitable for the purpose. However I believe the intention is to try and rig up the original speedo drive which won't fit over the larger axle (I `believe?)

USD Forks 08 Aug 2023 09:55 #888050

• Stereordinary
  • User
I looked into those bearings, and ended up chatting with someone at a bearing manufacturing company online, and they said that they wouldn't approve them for motorcycle wheel use. Of course that's just one bearing and one company, I'm sure there's more research to be done. But as of yet I do not have a sure fire conversion bearing option.

And while using the speedo drive would be nice, I'm not opposed to omitting it and swapping to an electronic speedo. It would add expense of course, but might also look good on the bike.

By the way, I've uploaded the files for the axle to a few of those online instant quote CNC machining services and the cost is well over twice what I thought it might be. I'm willing to throw some money at this project as it's been a dream of mine for years now. But short of selling my other bike, or some other windfall of cash coming in, it's looking out of reach if I do have to go fully custom. Still, I don't want to give up and I'll keep looking for ways to make it affordable.
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)

Last edit: by Stereordinary.

USD Forks 08 Aug 2023 10:21 #888051

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User
You could use the Zeph spindle and just make some reducer sleeves for the fork bottoms.
They would need to have a split so they clamp on the spindle when the pinch bolts are tightened.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Stereordinary, Wookie58

USD Forks 08 Aug 2023 11:07 #888054

• Stereordinary
  • User
Ok now that's an interesting idea. I would suppose being smaller parts they would be less expensive to have machined. Do you think it would matter much what material they're made of?
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)

USD Forks 08 Aug 2023 14:06 #888065

• Stereordinary
  • User
Super easy to model an adapter sleeve like you suggested. Represented in turquoise in the image below. There is of course still the issue of the speedo drive. 

Also much cheaper to have machined, and potentially even cheaper if I order more than a pair, and if someone else wants a set, or I do the same mod to both my bikes. I'm curious if there is a 3D printing process and material that might make it even more affordable.

A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)
Attachments:

USD Forks 08 Aug 2023 14:07 #888066

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User

Ok now that's an interesting idea. I would suppose being smaller parts they would be less expensive to have machined. Do you think it would matter much what material they're made of?
T6 / HE30 Aluminium would do the job.
Make them the same as the ZX6 spindle ends with the raised outside step on the end to sit in the recess of the fork lower then bore the centers for the Zeph spindle ends to the same profile with a step for those to sit in and tighten against.

USD Forks 08 Aug 2023 14:28 #888068

• Stereordinary
  • User
Yep, that's exactly what I did. Here they are naked away from all the other bits. Exact same part left to right.

A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)
Attachments:

Last edit: by Stereordinary.

USD Forks 08 Aug 2023 14:58 #888069

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User
Yes! That's it.
More than one way to skin a cat.
Looks like you posted the other cad drawing while i was typing and i didn't see it..
I'd make the wheel spacers so they are the same od as the zx6's where they meet the fork lowers to span all the seams keep the wheel central against the fork lowers and that way the wheel can't float and misalign within the spacer assembly once loosened.

USD Forks 08 Aug 2023 15:44 #888070

• Stereordinary
  • User
Wouldn't it not be able to do that anyway, because it's captive by the axle collars?
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)