Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Custom subframe (NEW PICS ADDED! SUBFRAME NOW MOUNTED!) 27 Oct 2005 13:42 #4710

• twowheeledterror
  • twowheeledterror's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
It came! My 1" dia 13ga Electric Welded steel tubing came!

Now I can start my subframe. Think Norton Commando mated to a KZ, but custom built to be a little thinner since I'm short and tiny. Awesome.

Post edited by: twowheeledterror, at: 2005/10/30 17:48

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Custom subframe 27 Oct 2005 14:39 #4723

• elseed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
That's it?! Just TUBING. Came in the mail?

Dammit man, we wanna see welding action photos, dangerous chop saw situations, inappropriate use of grinding tools, casual and unprotected dremel use!

Post edited by: elseed, at: 2005/10/27 17:41
'75 Z1B with mods
Attachments:

Custom subframe 27 Oct 2005 15:30 #4730

• Shaner
  • User
Well elseed If that's what you want...I'll go open my garage door and you can have a look!:evil:

Custom subframe 27 Oct 2005 16:20 #4735

• elseed
  • User
Not sure about that offer Shaner -- you are obviously conflicted (living in Denver, cheering the Colts) but it's the internet...

Twowheeled is obviously a risk taker, or he wouldn't have already hacked off his existing sub-frame. I like that self-portrait camera work, by the way. Please do not attempt that while riding.

OK, I'll start. Here's an entirely inadvisable hoisting situation! Using a come along tied into my garage rafter (meant to support roof weight from above, not hang weight below). This is what I'm talking about! And look at those chemical containers over in the corner! Madness!

Post edited by: elseed, at: 2005/10/27 19:24
'75 Z1B with mods

Custom subframe 27 Oct 2005 17:46 #4753

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
elseed wrote:

Not sure about that offer Shaner -- you are obviously conflicted (living in Denver, cheering the Colts) but it's the internet...

Twowheeled is obviously a risk taker, or he wouldn't have already hacked off his existing sub-frame. I like that self-portrait camera work, by the way. Please do not attempt that while riding.

OK, I'll start. Here's an entirely inadvisable hoisting situation! Using a come along tied into my garage rafter (meant to support roof weight from above, not hang weight below). This is what I'm talking about! And look at those chemical containers over in the corner! Madness!

<br><br>Post edited by: elseed, at: 2005/10/27 19:24

Sheeeeeer madness!! I'd have to say that we are collectively most definitely the MASTERS OF MADNESS! haha

I'll have some other pics in here ASAP. Tomorrow I bend up the tubing. It had to be shipped here from out of state cause no one carried in locally when I went around to the yards. The one I found it at had to order it in, but I told them to plan on ordering so me more cause I'm gonna work on a frame later this winter is I get around to it since it'such a cheap fun project.

But yeah, I'll get pics of the bending process, and then pics of my tacking it up and notching and stuff for post.

Custom subframe 28 Oct 2005 02:46 #4857

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
have not done any radius bends with this stuff, please show us how.

have notched down to one side and bent. Don't forget, it gets shorter when you do this. i.e. 18" with 90 degree V will not get you 2 x 9" sides :-)

no, did not do this for a ride.

-Duck

Custom subframe 29 Oct 2005 23:48 #5288

• Goblin
  • User
and, just got tha blanks in for yer suspension....im thinkin bout going alloy on my subs, tha Triumph and tha Kawasaki,aaaaahhhh its good to be back:evil:

Custom subframe 30 Oct 2005 12:32 #5398

• Bud1
  • User
I always follow all safety guidelines, cautions, and warnings! I simply cannot imagine how anybody could even consider working in unsafe conditions. Really it boggles my mind!:blink: :huh:

Custom subframe 30 Oct 2005 12:33 #5399

• Bud1
  • User
Oh by the way here's a picture of me at work in the garage!

:woohoo:

Custom subframe 30 Oct 2005 13:05 #5406

• RollingStock
  • User
LOL... my dad is always btiching at me to wear safety glasses with i cut/grind on metal.. i just tell him only pussy wear safety glasses.. 2 eye drills later and i still dont wear them..:pinch:
73 z1900 street nitrous drag bike(powered but honda)
83 kz750 turbo street fighter project

Custom subframe 30 Oct 2005 14:18 #5423

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor

:D

(Please excuse the booger welds. I hate Flux Core MIG. hahaha)

So thats that. Now I just need to get some brackets for the suspension and stuff and weld those on.

I was gonna triangulate the subframe, but we clamped it all to a table and 2 of us sat on it free weight totalling around 320# and the thing didn't even barely flex, so I decided to leave it. When riding it won't even hold all my weight as I'll have bars and foot pegs. ****TWO OF US SAT ON IT JUST TO TEST IT... THIS BIKE WILL NOT HAVE ANY CAPABILITY AS A TWO UP BIKE AT ALL... ONLY MONO.****

It's turning out how I want it though, so I'm happy.

Post edited by: twowheeledterror, at: 2005/10/30 17:19

Custom subframe 30 Oct 2005 16:06 #5440

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
I would still triangulate it..cheap, easy insurance. A couple more cuts, four more welds...priceless. :laugh: Looks like a great project!

• Page: