Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Custom subframe 30 Oct 2005 18:58 #5473

• twowheeledterror
  • twowheeledterror's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
ronboskz650sr wrote:

I would still triangulate it..cheap, easy insurance. A couple more cuts, four more welds...priceless. :laugh: Looks like a great project!

What I've decided to do is actually use some trianles made out of 1/4" steel plate. Tat way the triangulation can be MUCH smaller, still allowing the whole "empty" look.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Custom subframe 30 Oct 2005 19:14 #5477

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
There you go!

Custom subframe 31 Oct 2005 04:10 #5537

• Bud1
  • User
Glad your going to triangulate, and using the 1/4 steel is definately a good idea. Your probably right about it being just fine without triangulation, but it just makes me feel beteer knowing your going to do it anyway! :P

Custom subframe (NEW PICS ADDED! SUBFRAME NOW MOUNTED!) 31 Oct 2005 06:04 #5551

• bangshift440rt
  • User
i saw in the picture of your frame hanging from the ceiling some bracing. how did you know where to put the braces and what kind of steel did you use? thanks, ryan

Custom subframe (NEW PICS ADDED! SUBFRAME NOW MOUNTED!) 31 Oct 2005 09:18 #5606

• hat0791
  • User
suh-weet!!!

I like the design dude. That's gonna be a beautiful ride.

Haha, I work in an automotive manufacturing plant and they make us wear safety glasses even when we're walking across the plant on the cat-walk. 30 feet above the working floor... At home, I never touch them though. Gloves either. And I have the scars to prove it. :blink:

Custom subframe (NEW PICS ADDED! SUBFRAME NOW MOUNTED!) 31 Oct 2005 10:09 #5619

• elseed
  • User
Looks good twowheeled -- I too think you should triangulate -- don't think it'll hurt looks too much, but then I realize I'm not sure of your plans here... It's not the weight so much as the fatigue issue of bottoming, hitting bumps, etc.

Slow to check in here again. Bud -- thanks for adding a pic there. That's the spirit! You know you can spit/drool on the grinding wheel to cool it down -- just squint a little as you get down there. :P

Ryan -- I do not have to tube-ordering and welding skills of twowheeledterror. I ordered this frame bracing kit from Kosman engineering, and had somebody weld them in place. It's an excellent kit, all precut. Used for the dragbike guys. Made a BIG difference along with the motor mount kit in stiffness of frame.
'75 Z1B with mods

Custom subframe (NEW PICS ADDED! SUBFRAME NOW MOUNTED!) 31 Oct 2005 11:20 #5642

• Spock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Bangshift,
If you have a weight hanging from the bottom of your garage's roof support, you take a chance of pulling it apart or just breaking the horozontal boards.

Most of the time one or two hundred pounds can be ok hanging from a bottom rafter, but if you use a comealong you jerk the load going up and down and this creates more stress.

You can put a couple of vertical boards under the horozontal board and this may keep it from flexing and breaking.

If you are going to try to do it right, you need to hang the weight from the top of the roof support. (This does not mean to screw in an I bolt.) With the weight hanging from a chain looped over the top of the roof truss the roof support is pulled tighter together instead of apart.

Be concerned about the load capability of your roof.
Here in the midwest where roofs are designed for a significant snow load, the roof supports hold up pretty well to this abuse. However poorly built and home built garages are often just waiting for a reason to fail.

Spock

Custom subframe (NEW PICS ADDED! SUBFRAME NOW MOUNTED!) 27 Nov 2005 23:09 #10579

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
I think you should grind off the center stand mounts. Keep the side stand and make yourself a paddock stand.
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Custom subframe (NEW PICS ADDED! SUBFRAME NOW MOUNTED!) 27 Nov 2005 23:20 #10581

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I usually hang my bike with coat hangers-bent properly of course. :P
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Custom subframe (NEW PICS ADDED! SUBFRAME NOW MOUNTED!) 28 Nov 2005 04:38 #10600

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Heeeheheeee..... can see it now in ChitChat...
"Caption this"....followed by all sorts of less-than-safe tool use photo's:laugh:
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

Custom subframe (NEW PICS ADDED! SUBFRAME NOW MOUNTED!) 28 Nov 2005 05:07 #10604

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
guitargeek wrote:

I think you should grind off the center stand mounts. Keep the side stand and make yourself a paddock stand.

I think this is a good idea. :thumbup:

Custom subframe (NEW PICS ADDED! SUBFRAME NOW MOUNTED!) 28 Nov 2005 05:07 #10605

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
donthekawguy wrote:

I usually hang my bike with coat hangers-bent properly of course. :P

I've found that masking tape in good quantities treats me well. :D

• Page: