Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rear brake pads 20 Apr 2006 09:47 #41123

• johnny chop
  • johnny  chop's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
KZ_Rage wrote:

I guess my two halves reply was a bit ambiguous.

I meant that the caliper should have fallen away from the bracket, not that the caliper itself would fall apart.

I assumed that you had already compressed the piston back into the caliper. What is holding it in place still is the piston from what I can see in the photo and possibly the backside pad as well.

Compress the piston back in to the caliper housing and then look behind for the backside pad's retaining screw #6. That screw might have to come out first as the spring washer #8 could hold enough pressure against the back pad to make it harder to move if the piston won't retract fully. Taking the backside one out first will give you more room to clear the bracket anyway.

The pads are small round disc's, if they are gone then your rotor is very likely scrap. Be sure to measure the thickness of the rotor. If there is bad gouges or if the measurement shows out of tolerance thickness then you'll have to replace it.

Take the time to completely bleed the ALL of the old brake fluid out of the system. To not make more work for you as you do this be sure to watch the reservoir and when you get down to the last 1/3-1/4 of fluid in the reservoir, tighten the bleed screw and add new brake fluid. Repeat this process until you see clean new fluid come out. If you let the level drop below the bottom of the reservoir you stand a chance of getting an air bubble in the caliper.<br><br>Post edited by: KZ_Rage, at: 2006/04/20 09:56

I'm going to try to remove the inside pad & use a c-clamp to push in the caliper piston as you suggested. When I open the bleeder screw will I have to bleed my system? I guess as long as the brake reservoir doesn't go dry I'll be OK..correct??
Thanks again for your help....I'll give it a shot & see what happens..JC

Post edited by: johnny chop, at: 2006/04/20 12:50

Post edited by: johnny chop, at: 2006/04/20 12:51

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rear brake pads 20 Apr 2006 09:50 #41125

• johnny chop
  • johnny  chop's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
KZ_Rage wrote:

mario is right in that you can do it this way but you may have to adjust your chain as you probably will need to take some of the tension off the chain to get the axle bolt to move by that much without pounding it out. Also if you don't have your bike on it's center stand don't try this as you won't be able to get the axle rod/bolt back into the brakeside swing arm. There is one more connection though at the top of the bracket that needs to be taken off before the entire assembly can be pulled off the rotor. be sure to torque everything to spec when you re-assemble.

Ireally didn't want to go that route if I didn't have to. Besides my bike doesn't have a center stand.
I'll try taking out the rear pad & using a c-clamp to push in the caliper piston. Thanks for the helpful info..JC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.