Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rear brake pads 18 Apr 2006 20:28 #40679

• johnny chop
  • johnny  chop's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
securitygeek wrote:

I think the rear caliper is a single peice. Take out the two bolts that hold it to the bracket and it should just slide off.

That's the problem,it's not sliding off:( Seems like something is holding on the bracket. Is it possible the pad has to be pryed out? Does the phillips head screw have to come out to get the inside pad out as well?:huh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rear brake pads 18 Apr 2006 20:30 #40680

• johnny chop
  • User
johnny chop wrote:

wireman wrote:

can you post a picture of your caliper?;)

I'll take a pic & post it ASAP......JC

Forgot the camera today.......But there is a diagram now. I'll try to take a pic of what is going on & where it's getting stuck..;)

Rear brake pads 19 Apr 2006 14:51 #40895

• securitygeek
  • User
Does the rear wheel rotate, or is the brake locked up? If the brake is not locked, I would suspect that the caliper is at least loose, right?

if things seem stuck, you could try and remove the screw (#6), washer(#7), and #8, then try a large c-clamp on the inside brake pad (inside pad will not come out at this point) and the right side of the caliper, to squeeze the piston in. This might loosen things up a little (should be all you need).

Rear brake pads 19 Apr 2006 18:24 #40942

• johnny chop
  • User
The wheel rotates with no problem except when you want to stop,it takes alot of foot pressure. I'll try to take out the screw and then take out the inner pad. BTW.......here's a few pics of what I mean...
Sorry don't know how to load multiple pics,so I'll send another.JC

Post edited by: johnny chop, at: 2006/04/19 21:25
Attachments:

Rear brake pads 19 Apr 2006 18:28 #40945

• johnny chop
  • User
Here is another pic of what is going on. The caliper piston seems to be pushed out to far and is getting caught. Hope this helps ....BTW...Can anyone point out the pad in the pic..I didn't even see one.
Attachments:

Rear brake pads 19 Apr 2006 18:30 #40947

• johnny chop
  • User
johnny chop wrote:

wireman wrote:

can you post a picture of your caliper?;)

I'll take a pic & post it ASAP......JC

Here's one......
Attachments:

Rear brake pads 19 Apr 2006 20:24 #40979

• wireman
  • Visitor
did you push the piston back in?:whistle:

Rear brake pads 20 Apr 2006 06:54 #41074

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
I guess my two halves reply was a bit ambiguous.

I meant that the caliper should have fallen away from the bracket, not that the caliper itself would fall apart.

I assumed that you had already compressed the piston back into the caliper. What is holding it in place still is the piston from what I can see in the photo and possibly the backside pad as well.

Compress the piston back in to the caliper housing and then look behind for the backside pad's retaining screw #6. That screw might have to come out first as the spring washer #8 could hold enough pressure against the back pad to make it harder to move if the piston won't retract fully. Taking the backside one out first will give you more room to clear the bracket anyway.

The pads are small round disc's, if they are gone then your rotor is very likely scrap. Be sure to measure the thickness of the rotor. If there is bad gouges or if the measurement shows out of tolerance thickness then you'll have to replace it.

Take the time to completely bleed the ALL of the old brake fluid out of the system. To not make more work for you as you do this be sure to watch the reservoir and when you get down to the last 1/3-1/4 of fluid in the reservoir, tighten the bleed screw and add new brake fluid. Repeat this process until you see clean new fluid come out. If you let the level drop below the bottom of the reservoir you stand a chance of getting an air bubble in the caliper.

Post edited by: KZ_Rage, at: 2006/04/20 09:56
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

Rear brake pads 20 Apr 2006 07:01 #41077

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I read this whole post...twice.
Unless I'm missing something, you should be able to undo you rear axle and pull it part way through until the caliper arm comes loose. It will come off with the caliper, even with the 2 bolts out.
Then it will be much easier to change the pads.
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

Rear brake pads 20 Apr 2006 07:19 #41084

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
mario is right in that you can do it this way but you may have to adjust your chain as you probably will need to take some of the tension off the chain to get the axle bolt to move by that much without pounding it out. Also if you don't have your bike on it's center stand don't try this as you won't be able to get the axle rod/bolt back into the brakeside swing arm. There is one more connection though at the top of the bracket that needs to be taken off before the entire assembly can be pulled off the rotor. be sure to torque everything to spec when you re-assemble.
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

Rear brake pads 20 Apr 2006 07:37 #41089

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
If you go that route, you should be able to just change out your pads with pulling the caliper arm out of the caliper.
I have found that the little rubber dust boots, # 4 in the parts diagram, are a PITA to keep on when sliding the caliper arm back in.
I left mine off...in fustration! :angry:
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

Rear brake pads 20 Apr 2006 09:43 #41118

• johnny chop
  • User
wireman wrote:

did you push the piston back in?:whistle:

No I didn't have a c-clamp with me at the time. Unfortunatley the bike is at a garage far from my home (no room in my garage) LOL.. so after work (late @ night)I go & work on it.