Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Sheet metal soldering... 16 Mar 2006 06:36 #31616

• twowheeledterror
  • twowheeledterror's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
steell wrote:

Are they still teaching that glass flows (not in it's molten state)? I hope not, that urban myth was disproven years ago :)

And please don't tell me they are still talking about a bridge (I think it was in Washington) that was supposedly caused to collapse by vibration. I realize that there are still a lot of urban myths in textbooks, I wonder if they will ever correct them.<br><br>Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/03/16 04:34

Hmm.... see I disagree. There's no real distinction that glass ISN'T a liquid technically. It depends on where you go for the info. It's a rigid state obviously, so for everyday purposes it is considered a solid... but it also does have proven viscosity, which is something solids do not have. Also, glass does NOT have a well defined melting point.... something all solids have.

EDIT: Fond more info.

Traditionally it was taught that glass was a solidlike liquid. That is wrong. Glass is technically a liquidlike solid. Glass has flow. It's a solid with the lack of any kind of crystalline structure, thus making it an amorphous solid capable of flow... therefore technically also classified as a liquid.

(And the church window theory doesn't prove this despite what people say... that was caused by the way the glass was made. It's been calculated that it would take 10 million years for a glass window to flow and become 5mm thicker at the bottom.)

Post edited by: twowheeledterror, at: 2006/03/16 09:46

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sheet metal soldering... 16 Mar 2006 08:45 #31648

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Yikes. We started out with how muriatic acid can chew up a wheel; now we've been through soldering, ductwork, fluid dynamics, one entertaining (now deleted) pissing contest, discussions of rocket science and reading comprehension, and now whether glass is a solid-like liquid or a liquid-like solid! This forum is entertaining, and educational! Keep it up, I really didn't want to do any work today anyhow.

PS Duck, 10% comprehension of women:P that's more than most of us:laugh: :laugh:

Sheet metal soldering... 16 Mar 2006 09:06 #31655

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
We are going so far off topic that I am going to have to slap my own hand :D

You need to broaden your thinking, and that takes time and experience (I wish I was as smart as I thought I was when I was 21) :)

math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/Glass/glass.html

"There are many more things in the heavens and on the Earth, than a man can possibly know" but I'm stubborn and refuse to quit :laugh: :laugh:

If you wish to disagree with my statement about glass, then that's fine, "I ain't got no dog in this hunt" (to quote a friend of mine, I have all kinds of friends) :D

But let,s let this whole thread fade away, this has so little (nothing) to do with KZ's, that it needs to stop.

Here is a good place for such discussions www.eng-tips.com/ and it's a good resource for you as well :)
KD9JUR

Sheet metal soldering... 16 Mar 2006 09:22 #31665

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
steell wrote:

We are going so far off topic that I am going to have to slap my own hand :D

You need to broaden your thinking, and that takes time and experience (I wish I was as smart as I thought I was when I was 21) :)

math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/Glass/glass.html

"There are many more things in the heavens and on the Earth, than a man can possibly know" but I'm stubborn and refuse to quit :laugh: :laugh:

If you wish to disagree with my statement about glass, then that's fine, "I ain't got no dog in this hunt" (to quote a friend of mine, I have all kinds of friends) :D

But let,s let this whole thread fade away, this has so little (nothing) to do with KZ's, that it needs to stop.

Here is a good place for such discussions www.eng-tips.com/ and it's a good resource for you as well :)

Agreed. lol

Oh, and from your link. ;) hehe

"There is no clear answer to the question "Is glass solid or liquid?". In terms of molecular dynamics and thermodynamics it is possible to justify various different views that it is a highly viscous liquid, an amorphous solid, or simply that glass is another state of matter which is neither liquid nor solid. The difference is semantic."

Looks like everyone is right? lol

Post edited by: twowheeledterror, at: 2006/03/16 12:23

Sheet metal soldering... 17 Mar 2006 18:15 #32078

• Kawozaki
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
"DO NOT try to clean aluminum parts in muriatic acid, and if you do watch it closely and check often!"

You gotta be kiddin' me!:ohmy: :silly: :lol:

Sheet metal soldering... 17 Mar 2006 18:52 #32085

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
Kawozaki wrote:

"DO NOT try to clean aluminum parts in muriatic acid, and if you do watch it closely and check often!"

You gotta be kiddin' me!:ohmy: :silly: :lol:

hahahaha

Nope. Only I can do something THAT bone headed. lol

Sheet metal soldering... 17 Mar 2006 20:11 #32099

• Kawozaki
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
"Oakite" brand cleaner in an ultrasonic tank is even worse...aluminum looks like Alka-Seltzer in there!