Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

mono shock under the bike 02 Mar 2006 22:22 #27772

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
get an adjustable shock!;)
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mono shock under the bike 03 Mar 2006 21:23 #28054

• 79MKII
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
  • Thank you received: 43
Wouldn't the forces be strictly linear if the proper linkages were used? I would be willing to bet that a proper linkage system would result in a linear-only force. I agree that changing the shock angle in general exerts some lateral forces on the shock, but shock position relative to vertical shouldn't matter one bit if the linkage is designed to apply force linearly. Could be? Maybe? Anyone?:blink:
The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

mono shock under the bike 10 Mar 2006 09:51 #29865

• koolaid_kid
  • User
  • Thank you received: 99
I agree with steell and mkii. What is crucial is to design the linkage correctly. If the linkage is not designed correctly, the spring rates will be whacko (technical term) and the suspension will notfunction correctly.

Post edited by: koolaid_kid, at: 2006/03/10 12:52
1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

mono shock under the bike 10 Mar 2006 10:17 #29878

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
Here's a test for those of you who don't agree...

get two pieces of tubing. One should slide into the other.

Now, slide them together with the pipes perfectly vertical. If they are correctly sized it should slide in with very little effort.

Now do the same thing with them horizontal. Gravity is pulling them down with your hands as a pivot point, and you will get more friction off of the top walls (top outside of the inner and inside of the outer) as you slide them together.

That's my point.

mono shock under the bike 10 Mar 2006 10:52 #29887

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
A better test :)
Take the spring off a standard shock and compress it (THE SHOCK) by hand while holding it vertical and then horizontal.
Can you detect any difference in the amount of force required to compress or extend the shock?
I have done this with automotive shocks and could not tell the difference.

There probably is some additional friction involved, but I suspect the torque required to overcome that additional friction is measured in micro ounces.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/03/10 16:29
KD9JUR

mono shock under the bike 10 Mar 2006 10:59 #29888

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
steell wrote:

A better test :)
Take the spring off a standard shock and compress it by hand while holding it vertical and then horizontal.
Can you detect any difference in the amount of force required to compress or extend the shock?
I have done this with automotive shocks and could not tell the difference.

There probably is some additional friction involved, but I suspect the torque required to overcome that additional friction is measured in micro ounces.

That would make complete sense if there was just a spring and no other parts. ;)

mono shock under the bike 10 Mar 2006 11:04 #29891

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Just last weekend I saw one setup at the bike boneyard that had the shock almost parallel to the top tube and under the saddle. Could not tell who made the bike. Too much f it was missing.

Not trying to hijack, but has anyone grafted the bandit 1200 rear end on to a kz1000 frame? Monoshock and wider swingarm already together. Saw the bandit carcass at the boneyard last weekend.

-Duck

mono shock under the bike 10 Mar 2006 11:29 #29894

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
galaxian wrote:

TWT, I know see what you are saying about friction except that gravity acts equally on the shock not on the center of it (which would cause friction) so I am still convinced that you may be slightly incorrect here. Nothing like a good physics discussion.;)

Actually, it doesn't. The shock is anchored on the ends, and it pivots from those points. :)

mono shock under the bike 10 Mar 2006 13:38 #29925

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Ok, I edited my previous post to make it clear that I was talking about compessing the shock and not the spring. :laugh:

If we are going to be concerned about the minute increase in force required due to friction, then should we not also factor in the effect of gravity?
In a vertical shock mounting the bottom (heaviest part) of the shock adds to the unsprung weight, while in the horizontal mounting the unsprung weight would be reduced.

I think we are discussing things that make no practical difference anyway :D :D
KD9JUR

mono shock under the bike 10 Mar 2006 13:41 #29927

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
steell wrote:

Ok, I edited my previous post to make it clear that I was talking about compessing the shock and not the spring. :laugh:

If we are going to be concerned about the minute increase in force required due to friction, then should we not also factor in the effect of gravity?
In a vertical shock mounting the bottom (heaviest part) of the shock adds to the unsprung weight, while in the horizontal mounting the unsprung weight would be reduced.

I think we are discussing things that make no practical difference anyway :D :D

I think we are arguing semantics to argue semantics. :) hahah:laugh:

mono shock under the bike 10 Mar 2006 14:14 #29933

• 79MKII
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
  • Thank you received: 43
Remember that the shock dampening does not occur from friction of the shaft against the seal (or any other item). The shock movement is dampened by the controlled movement of fluids or gas through internal passages. The seal on the shaft is the only point where gravity would add force, and although it probably does, it would be so small it wouldn't make a noticeable difference. There is only that very small area of friction where the "two tubes" example would apply. Other than early 60s and 70s motocrossers, I don't know of any motorcycles that use a perfectly vertical shock anyway. Even our KZ's are tilted slightly. Many of todays bikes use near horizontal shocks. Some are even under the bike, like the Buells for example. :side:
The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

mono shock under the bike 10 Mar 2006 14:39 #29943

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
79MKII wrote:

Remember that the shock dampening does not occur from friction of the shaft against the seal (or any other item). The shock movement is dampened by the controlled movement of fluids or gas through internal passages. The seal on the shaft is the only point where gravity would add force, and although it probably does, it would be so small it wouldn't make a noticeable difference. There is only that very small area of friction where the "two tubes" example would apply. Other than early 60s and 70s motocrossers, I don't know of any motorcycles that use a perfectly vertical shock anyway. Even our KZ's are tilted slightly. Many of todays bikes use near horizontal shocks. Some are even under the bike, like the Buells for example. :side:

Oh let's not get into the concept of fluid dynamics. :lol: