Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tire Recommendations 24 Dec 2005 07:54 #14382

• Nothreat
  • Nothreat's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
It it cold now and I need to replace my tires. Does anyone have recommendations on tires? I usually buy middle of the road tires ($50-$60) and I get 8-10K out of them. I have never had both front and back new tires at the same time and I am looking forward to seeing if there is a difference. I am conservative driver and rarely go more than 200 miles on a trip (mostly local cruising and work commute). I don't need performance - just comfort. stability, and durability. I am looking for manufacturer and source recommendations. Happy Holidays to all!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tire Recommendations 24 Dec 2005 09:06 #14388

• wireguy
  • User
i personally have allways been a metzeler fan but have also had decent luck with continental tires .ood luck,hope this helps!oh yeah,MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Tire Recommendations 24 Dec 2005 12:31 #14421

• KZJohn
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I have been a Bridgestone fan for years now. I have the BT-45's on my 900 for performance and the Spitfires on my XS750 for commuting. I did have a set of Conti's "Blitz" on my 900 and they wore well and stuck to the ground when properly heated. I get my tires at Chaparal but I live close enough to pick them up and not pay shipping;) .

Tire Recommendations 26 Dec 2005 07:07 #14637

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I have the Bridgestone BT45s too and I'm very happy with them.

Tire Recommendations 26 Dec 2005 07:40 #14644

• cudaosix
  • User
I'm using Dunlop GT501's, very happy with them sofar.

Tire Recommendations 20 Jan 2006 07:06 #18866

• DasTeufel
  • User
What is a good mileage to get out of a tire? The Cheng Shin Hi-Max on the rear of my bike has around 10K on it, but is due for replacement. I know Cheng Shin tires aren't the greatest in the world, but I was strapped for cash and needed a tire fast. Now, I am looking at a set of Metzeler ME880's, anyone running these? I ride daily, about 70 miles a day, so I need a tire that is a good performer, has good grip in wet or dry, and above all, is durable. I can get the set of 880's for around $210.
2009 KTM 690 SMC
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2001 Suzuki GSXR 750

Wildomar, CA

Tire Recommendations 20 Jan 2006 12:19 #18933

• GargantuChet
  • User
Holy cow! Where can you find tires for $60 apiece? Mine are really bad, and even cheap new ones would be more trustworthy than my current ones.

Post edited by: gargantuchet, at: 2006/01/20 15:19

Tire Recommendations 20 Jan 2006 13:13 #18946

• DasTeufel
  • User
Umm...the Metzelers are 95 bucks for the front, 115 for the rear..not sure where you got $60 a tire from lol. The Hi-max I bought for the rear was 50 bucks though.

Edit: Nevermind..didn't realize you were referring to the original post!

Post edited by: DasTeufel, at: 2006/01/20 16:14
2009 KTM 690 SMC
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2001 Suzuki GSXR 750

Wildomar, CA

Tire Recommendations 21 Jan 2006 06:08 #19027

• Nothreat
  • Nothreat's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
I usually buy my tires from JCWhitney. I have been fairly happy, but want to try some other tires. I typically catch them when shipping is free so the price is generally around $60. I get 8-10K out of them. Here is the link:

www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-B...11+600003273/c-10111

Tire Recommendations 21 Jan 2006 07:06 #19038

• wireman
  • Visitor
i think ill stick with my metzlers.when im laying into a corner at 100 plus i dont want to be thinking about the money i saved on a cheap tire,i want to be concentrating on staying ahead of that guy whos right on my ass!bwaha :evil:

Tire Recommendations 21 Jan 2006 08:07 #19057

• gpzrox
  • User
I have just broken in a set of Pirelli Sport Demon's, a new bias ply offering. The front fit very tight, had to do some careful spoonage there. I also got them for $75 or so a tire from a brach of drag specialities.

I ride in rain, no sweat: tires are supposedly made for them, and the work well in that aspect. Actually, I bet I could get quite agressive with the tire in rain and feel safe and secure. But anything would be better than the worn out k591 I had.

Now, after my impatient 100 mile break in, a warmish day came up and off I went. I did about 10 miles out an unfamiliar twisty -- wanted a real world effect, off camber turns, not knowing what is around the next corner, dirveways, stuff thrown up on the road, etc.

I was impressed, but not overly, until I got back to the parking lot and checked things out. My back tire was 15 lbs low, need a new valve core. But the front is where the tale was at: My thoughts were true: I was getting deeper into a turn than I ever had with complete confidence, like all of the way over. I've never been a peg scrapper, but I must have been very, very close.

My somewhat impressed has turned into very impressed. On the way home, I was carrying ALOT more speeds though corners than normal, and not sliding like I used to. Turns out I was doing my normal cruising thing on that curvy road: I wear earplugs, and look at the road, not the speedo or tach: I must have been flat out flying.

I feel for my footpegs now. And those guys that left me in the dust. Especially with the ZR-7 shock that I am gonna put on next weekend, and soon some progressive springs.

The reviews should be good now, they had just came out when I had bought them earlier this year. Just couldn't find time to put them on until it got cold...
84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

Tire Recommendations 21 Jan 2006 12:25 #19103

• DasTeufel
  • User
I just got done mounting and balancing a brand new set of Metzeler ME880's, upon appearance, the 880's look very well contructed and the tread is deep, much deeper than the hi-max when it was new. Looking forward to seeing how these perform! My favorite feature: no lateral groove to get caught in the rain grooves!
2009 KTM 690 SMC
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2001 Suzuki GSXR 750

Wildomar, CA

• Page: