Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tire Recommendations 21 Jan 2006 13:17 #19114

• TLH101
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Has anyone tried the Dunlop 404 tires? I am thinking about these for my KZ650.
www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=37

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tire Recommendations 21 Jan 2006 13:24 #19116

• DasTeufel
  • User
TLH, I had one of those on the back of my 550 before I got the hi-max, now I am on a set of Metzelers. It was a good tire, nice and stable with decent grip. It really depends on what kind of riding you do. If it is just motoring around, nothing really aggressive, those would do fine. I've always been a fan of Metzelers, just couldn't always afford em lol.
2009 KTM 690 SMC
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2001 Suzuki GSXR 750

Wildomar, CA

Tire Recommendations 23 Jan 2006 12:14 #19498

• GargantuChet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Nothreat --

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking for cheap tires, since mine are definitely showing their age.

wireman wrote:

i think ill stick with my metzlers.when im laying into a corner at 100 plus i dont want to be thinking about the money i saved on a cheap tire,i want to be concentrating on staying ahead of that guy whos right on my ass!bwaha :evil:

Hopefully when I finally get myself through school I'll be able to afford good enough tires and riding gear to make me less timid about the track, but without medical insurance it's a no-brainer to stay easy on the throttle and gentle through the curves. I wouldn't mind some track experience, but I don't have the experience, quality gear, or insurance to back it up!

Tire Recommendations 27 Jan 2006 07:45 #20076

• farmer fred
  • User
TLH101 wrote:

Has anyone tried the Dunlop 404 tires? I am thinking about these for my KZ650.
www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=37

I put em on both my KZ1000 and my Guzzi Eldo. Pretty sticky and nice price. A friend put them on his Suzuki Water Buffalo and recommended them to me.

Rumor has it the 404s are the same tire as the Harley-branded Dunlops, without the HD logo.

Tire Recommendations 27 Jan 2006 07:49 #20078

• wireman
  • Visitor
whos talking track?im talking i-29 north of council bluffs!bwaha :whistle:

Tire Recommendations 27 Jan 2006 11:20 #20103

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Folks who own bikes where 404s come as OEM original equipment usually complain about them but a lot less than some other OEM OE tires. The usual complaint is handling and noise.

They come stock on some Vulcans and you really have to be careful when listening to folks about tires. For instance, when a person has a set of 404s and they last 10K milees, the 404s, like most Dunlops wear square and handling gets funny in the last 2K miles... This is on a bike that weighs about 1/2 a ton now... well they switch to brand new (fill in the blank) and the new tire feels sooooooo much better and handles like a dream. That person will tell everyone on the planet that the (fill in the blank) tire is the best thing since sliced bread and WILL SWEAR they are tire experts and if you just bought the (fill in the blank) tire, it would cure the common cold and make you good looking!

In the past 5 years, I have used Avon Venom X, Michelin Commanders, Michelin Macadams, Dunlop 404s, Continental Milestones, Dunlop 491 Elite II, Metzler 880s, Cheng Shin Barracudas, Cheng Shen 627s (think that was the number; it was a high mileage 6ply tire), Dunlop Cruisemax, Cheng Shin Hi-Max. Couple of comments... MOST ALL THESE TIRES WORKED VERY WELL DURING THE FIRST 80 PERCENT OF THEIR LIFE! The longest lasting were the 491s. The only problem was that they started squaring off at about 14K miles and by 18K miles they still had tread but were like driving on car tires. The Dunlop Cruisemax tires were even worse than the 491s for squaring off. Note that I generally keep tire pressure correct. The Metzler 880s are similar (a tad less) for mileage and handle great and DO NOT seem to square off. Problem is, I had TWO sets where the back tire had tread splitting. The Conti Milestones were OK... neither great mileage or handling but not bad. I owned a couple sets of these. I had a heck of a time balancing one set as it came bought OUT OF ROUND. The Avon Venom X tires were always great. They didn't last quite as long... if a Dunlop lasted 18K miles on the back of a heavy touring bike, the Venom X would last 15K. They wore evenly and handled SUPERB. The Michelin Macadam tires I had MAY be a different variety than available in classic bike sizes but they truly didn't last long and didn't handle great. The Commanders wore like iron and worked great. Sold the bike before I could get a sense of their mileage. Cheng Shin Barracudas handle as well as most sport tires except I couldn't get a rear tire to last more than 2.5K miles. Geesh, and I am an old man hehe The 6 ply Cheng Shins didn't last long... they didn't have a name only they were in inch sizes and 6-ply... 927s? Just can't recall. The Hi-Maxs will usually get a zillion miles for the front tires and about 6-10K miles on the rear as I have had multiple sets of these. I use these because their cost vs the length of time between having to change them is pretty darn good. They also handle decently (not great but decent) and do well in the rain.

I had a set of 404s on a Vulcan I owned but they were at the end of their life and got changed almost immediately after I bought the bike. I think they will also last longer on a KZ than a Vulcan due to weight. I am going to try a set, I think, on my project ST... cost isn't bad at all and they are Dunlop tires and that should mean decent quality. I would like to see someone give an objective ride report on a set at some point!
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Tire Recommendations 27 Jan 2006 17:36 #20135

• Old-Skul
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
For handling I like the Dunlop GT501s or Avon Super Venoms. Maybe 5000 miles from these at most. Likely 3000 miles.

My CB900F commuter runs Hi-Max's which handle pretty damn well, and seem to last forever. For the money they seem the best overall value. Nothing great, but nothing bad and I think I got the set for $135.00 mounted.

• Page: