Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Z1 cutting out when riding. 23 Oct 2023 18:35 #890867

• jsewell
  • jsewell's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I'm a new member and not very familiar with forums. I have a 1975 Z1 which I restored from a neglected state with a hideous seat, Vetter fairing, Kerker exhaust etc. It now looks original and goes beautifully except that occasionally it just dies, as if the kill switch was turned off. Lights etc stay on and I pull over, turn the ignition off and on again and it starts right up and runs fine again. I've checked coils, connections, HT leads, ignition and kill switches and all seem OK. It has a 19 year old Boyer electronic ignition and I'm wondering if it could be the ignition module going bad. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Z1 cutting out when riding. 24 Oct 2023 00:02 #890876

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1808
Coil supply is a common issue as these bikes get older, a common mod is to fit a by-pass relay in the coil supply. The below link explains the rational for the mod. Even if it's not your issue it's a worthwhile mod to get the best possible spark when starting

kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/617512-ig...-pass-relay-w#866367
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

Z1 cutting out when riding. 24 Oct 2023 01:11 #890877

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 657
Also check the kill switch connections plate. Number of bikes I've seen were the plate is cracked and the internal connections on the plate are corroded is lots!.
If the connections are corroded as they get warm through current flow resistance will increase until the coils will not get any electrical flow. 
The kill switch is always causing issues on these old bikes. Easily bypassed to test it by joining the 2 wires that run to it together. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Z1 cutting out when riding. 24 Oct 2023 04:58 #890882

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
It sounds like the problem is in the kill part of your right side control.  It may be at the switch itself or it may be one of the wires feeding the switch.  

That said, intermittent problems are the toughest to solve.  You may need to replace the right control to see if the problem disappears.  I may have a right side control in my spare parts.  I'll check today.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Z1 cutting out when riding. 24 Oct 2023 05:08 #890884

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1469
You should also check the wiring harness where it flexes around the head stock.
Internal breaks are common after many years of use.
With the bike running gently pull , jiggle and bend the harness where it emerges from the fuel tank towards the clocks etc and see it that cuts the ignition.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE

Z1 cutting out when riding. 24 Oct 2023 05:21 #890885

• Shankkole
  • User
  • Thank you received: 141
I had a bad ground wire that gave me fits .....just like this for months.
It would always start fine, but just the right vibration/turn and it would short out.

Z1 cutting out when riding. 24 Oct 2023 05:41 #890887

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 606
All good suggestions above. Intermittent electrical issues can be maddening, as one never knows if that last thing you tried really fixed it, of if it's just gone away (intermittently) once more, until an indefinite period of time has passed.

One thing not mentioned yet is the ignition switch. The solder joints on the backside of thew switch have been known to crack, leading to intermittent issues. The solder joint on the brown wire might be the culprit.

Please keep us posted with any updates, and welcome to KZR.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Z1 cutting out when riding. 24 Oct 2023 08:00 #890899

• jsewell
  • User
Great suggestions, thanks everyone. I'll work through all those possible causes one by one and have ordered a new ignition module anyway. It's my first Z and a magnificent bike so well worth fixing as this cutting out problem is a disincentive from riding it on major roads -- could be tricky on the freeway. I've posted a couple of pics of it on the new members forum. 

Z1 cutting out when riding. 24 Oct 2023 08:20 #890900

• Moose1800
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 260

You should also check the wiring harness where it flexes around the head stock.
Internal breaks are common after many years of use.

With the bike running gently pull , jiggle and bend the harness where it emerges from the fuel tank towards the clocks etc and see it that cuts the ignition.
I had this happen on my 76 900 and took a minute to find it, turned out to be the brown wire hanging on with just a few strands of wire

Z1 cutting out when riding. 24 Oct 2023 11:47 #890909

• Kelly E
  • User
  • Never Give Up. Never Surrender
  • Thank you received: 307
I also had an issue with the solder joints failing on the kill switch. I got it soldered back together just fine but still had an issue. Turned out that one of the wires occasionally touched the bar because it had slipped out from under the wire guide inside the control pod during assembly. I'd be riding along and suddenly the lights and blinkers started freaking out.
The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda Sabre 700
1984 Honda Interceptor 1000
1994 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
And more

Z1 cutting out when riding. 24 Oct 2023 22:00 #890923

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 353
So after it dies the first time does it take the same amount of time to die again?
Or is it a longer or shorter amount of time before the next episode?

Does the starter button work immediately after it dies or do you have to turn the ignition off then on for the starter button to work?
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

Z1 cutting out when riding. 25 Oct 2023 18:37 #890966

• jsewell
  • User
It only dies once, usually fairly near the start of a ride, and not every ride, and after that it runs flawlessly. Good point about the ignition switch. I think I've always turned it off then on again (then it starts up immediately). Next time I'll try leaving the ignition on and then see if the starter works straight away. I'm about to fit a new ignition module and if that doesn't fix it I'll work through all the other suggestions one by one.

• Page: