Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

No good rasher-rumphin washlefarkerin LEAK!!!!! 06 Apr 2006 17:48 #37366

• indykaw77
  • indykaw77's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
OK......first....I know NOTHING about carbs, except that mine leak out of 1 or 2 overflows, thru the tubes, onto my garage floor.
Searched thru archives and found some good posts re: this problem, including a good "check in this order" one from WG (What a guy, this WG.....)
Now, since I am (obviously:woohoo: ) smart enuff to know that I dont know nothing about carbs (or grammar, so it appears!), would that make me smart enuff to follow the clymer book step-by-step and be able to check needle/seat, etc??
Or do I just pony-up and go to the shop? I can get parts from Jeff.....just dont trust my "Know-how"....or maybe lack there-of.
What y'all think???? Can somebody who doesnt trust himself open these 4 gremlin-filled, mystical devices and un-f*@k them??
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No good rasher-rumphin washlefarkerin LEAK!!!!! 06 Apr 2006 18:03 #37374

• bearnekkid
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
thats how i learned they really arent that bad just pay attention and do one at a time so u can see how they go back together and so u dont get any parts mixed up and hell even if u do screw em up as long as u dont loose any parts a shop can fix it so i say try it and learn maybe u can save some cash but at least ull get a good working knowledge

No good rasher-rumphin washlefarkerin LEAK!!!!! 06 Apr 2006 18:14 #37382

• PuGz
  • User
I recomend you check out this article its not hard.
www.kzkustom.com/carbclean.htm

in keeping with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra 06 Apr 2006 18:29 #37395

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
It may not be the float needle that's making them leak. The float could be stuck.

Take the bowls off and have a look before you go ordering parts. You may just need to clean up the float hinges and float needles.

A bit of rinsing with carb cleaner and gentle pursuasion will get the floats floating again. Get them so they move like a small brass tube hanging loosely on a wire should, very easily. Squirt some carb cleaner opposite fuel flow direction through the needles while you hold them open. Work them a bit. They should move freely too. Actually your float wont move much if the needle is stuck too. You'll see when you open them. If that's it, all you'll need are bowl gaskets and then only if your old ones are damaged.

IF you decide the floats have to come out. Be careful not to break the bosses. Pin won't come out if it's gummed up so clean it first. It's easier to get out if you have all the bowls off and a tool. Don't soak carbs in carb dip!!! It eats rubber and plastic.

-Duck

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2006/04/06 21:31

in keeping with the \"if it ain't broke, don't fix it\" mantra 06 Apr 2006 18:40 #37400

• indykaw77
  • User
If a float was sticking......would that or would that not lead to perormance issues?? (Flooding, etc....)
The thing runs SOOOOOOO good, and i guess maybe thats one reson I hate the thought of opening up the carbs......well, that and letting all the gremlins out.
And I mis-spoke earlier in original post.....I know nothing about motorcycle carbs. Worked in a Chevrolet Dealer Service Dept. years ago.......worked on LOTS of Rochester 2 bbls and "Quadra-Junk" 4 bbls. But they was all down-draft......

in keeping with the \"if it ain't broke, don't fix it\" mantra 06 Apr 2006 19:30 #37417

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
Now is the time indykaw...these carbs are simple...don't be intimidated to pull the bowls. You will gain much more knowledge about your machine. Trust me there are no gremlins in there! :laugh:
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

in keeping with the \&quot;if it ain't broke, don't fix it\&quot; mantra 06 Apr 2006 20:16 #37423

• hungarian41-78
  • User
Clear something up when dose it leak, running, idle'ing. or just sitting with the engine off??

in keeping with the \&quot;if it ain't broke, don't fix it\&quot; mantra 06 Apr 2006 20:31 #37425

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Exactly what Roland said...get to know Your carbs!
Get an oil drain-pan,and tear them apart in it(a clean drain-pan)so any spilled fuel will be contained,and also...You won't have any little parts running away on Ya.Clean an area on a bench,and divide it into 4 seperate areas,for all of the internal parts...keep a log of what jets are in it,and where the jet-needle clips are located(what position out of 5)so You have it written down for future reference(just don't forget where You put the log-book.LOL)...a couple cans of carb-klean,and some compressed air(if You can).Watch Your eyes when You're spraying the carb-kleen through the orifices in the carbs...it'll come out the other ends of the openings,and for some reason...it'll always find Your eyeballs!(it's the Gremlins).
After You've removed the 4 screws from each bowl,You'll want to use the handle of a screwdriver and tap on the bowls...hopefully breaking them free from the gaskets in one piece...if not,and it's a good idea anyway...get Yourself a new set of bowl gaskets from jeff...and a new set of bowl screws(16 in total,but get a few spares),as they always seem to be stripped by either You,or the P.O.(previous owner).Have these items on Your "Parts-List" and leave room on that list for maybe floats,and needles-and-seats.
I would assume that You have the carbon floats...check to see if they DO,in fact...float...does one feel heavier than the others?It's hard to tell,but sometimes it's obvious that one is actually absorbing fuel,and making it heavier than the rest.A lot of People will keep adjusting floats to stop the overflow,but are neglecting to check that the float is even GOOD...or the needle-and seat,for that matter,which will wear from grit passing by them over time.
You'll want to set the floats accordingly before You put it all back together...there's lots of info about float-height adjustment for lots of different carbs...either here,or in the archives...LOTS of info!
Anywaze...don't get discouraged by the carbs...You can do it!...go slow,and as You take apart the carbs...keep the bowls and internal parts seperate and jot down any and all information...jet sizes,etc.
Good luck,Bud...keep Us posted...
(You can do it)B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

in keeping with the &quot;if it ain't broke, don't fix it&quot; mantra 06 Apr 2006 21:17 #37436

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
You said you replaced the petcock,, if it isn't an original vacumm type and you leave the fuel turned on with the bike on the side stand your floats may be rubbing on the side of the bowls. try leaving it on the center stand to see if it Stops. Also, be sure the fuel is actually shut off when the bike is sitting even if you are using the original type. This will cause the same problem. Especially if the side stand is worn and the bikes leans more than it should
Ride safe,
Les
Also, if the carb surface or bowl top isn't square and straight,, the fuel can seep out the gasket when it is leaning.

Post edited by: the milkman, at: 2006/04/07 00:20

Post edited by: the milkman, at: 2006/04/07 00:24
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

in keeping with the \&quot;if it ain't broke, don't fix it\&quot; mantra 06 Apr 2006 21:52 #37446

• wireman
  • Visitor
try tapping on the float bowls with a piece of wood like a hammer handle,yeah i know its cheesey but it works sometimes:whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching!

in keeping with the 06 Apr 2006 22:42 #37458

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
wireman wrote:

try tapping on the float bowls with a piece of wood like a hammer handle,yeah i know its cheesey but it works sometimes:whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching!

Heyyy...don't knock it(no pun intended:lol:)...sometimes,that DOES work!
Good call,Wireman...sometimes the easiest fix IS...the easiest fix.
I've done that to dirt bikes,when I was out in the bush...no tools to tear a leaky carb apart,but I DID have a stick!LOL...and a few times that I remember...it worked.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

in keeping with the 07 Apr 2006 03:57 #37490

• indykaw77
  • User
PugZ....thanks for the article heads-up!
hungarian41-78.....leak happens as follows:
I park the bike after a ride. No drips or leakage until 1/2 hr or so after. Then I got a steady drip..not too fast, but enuff to leave a 3 inch circle or so a fuel on the floor
Sandy...appreciate the tips!
The Milkman....have NOT replaced petcock. There is a bit of "play" in the sidestand.....can grab and "wiggle" it a little......and bike does seem to lean a bit much. I always use a 2x4 and a 1x4 under the stand to keep it more upright. I seem to recall this being discussed earlier and was thinking..."Naaaaaaaaaahhhh, couldnt be." But who knows??

Thanks everyone for tips and encouragement.....will give it a shot next time I am actually HOME for awhile!

• Page: