Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

in keeping with the 07 Apr 2006 04:25 #37495

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Disconnect yout fuel line from the tank after your next ride and see where the drip comes from...

-Duck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

in keeping with the 07 Apr 2006 16:27 #37657

• hungarian41-78
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
It sounds like a leaking petcock, mine will leak when parked and left in run, but in reserve theres no overflow, I have a vacumn petcock. Check to see if your oil level is getting fuller, it has happened on mine. gas getting in to crankcase. you'r float needles are supposed to stop the overfill but that ain't always the case. Just my 2 cents worth. I ride a 78 Kz1000 C1A Police.

Update on fuel leak 17 Apr 2006 04:40 #40152

• indykaw77
  • indykaw77's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Well well....what do ya know!!??
I think I have ( or HAD) 2 problems. Heres what i did:
Turned petcock (stock manual) plumb OFF. Ran til it quit, emptying the float bowls.
Draped towels all over everything and yanked fuel lines. Had TINY bit of leakage even with petcock OFF.
Took petcock apart...checked the "O" rings and such...no visible tears, breaks etc. Re assembled, but rolled the orings in my fingers BEFORE re-installing each of them. Petcock back on...tank has fuel....no drippage. So far....so good (sorta...got rebuild kit coming for petcock;))
Now...I got empty float bowls and the fuel lines are still unhooked. Got my trusty gum-out and sprayed into the lines. Used wiremans "hammer-handle-tap" method and got a tiny nozzle on my air hose, cranked air pressure down (WAAAAAY down), and blew a very light "blast" into the lines. Enough air to be like, say....blowing on the end of your finger. Very lo pressure.
Anyway, opened float bowl drains to get rid of whatever was in there, and reassembled everything. Fired up...rode around neighborhood....come back and parked. After few minutes, I still got drips from overflo tubes, but ALOT less. Crank petcock to OFF and all is well.
So I figure I had a petcock allowing fuel to still pass in OFF, and maybe some crud holding a needle valve (or 2 or 3) open, allowing that fuel to pass and make its way to my floor. Sound reasonable??
Got to fly out west for a few weeks, so will be awhile before I open them up to investigate further. Thanks to all who offered help/tips...:)

Post edited by: indykaw77, at: 2006/04/17 13:39
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

• Page: