Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

turbo engine build recomendations. thanks! 07 Dec 2023 10:18 #892421

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 266
Isn't deck height normally measured with the cylinder torqued down??        Or was this just a "photo op"?
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

turbo engine build recomendations. thanks! 07 Dec 2023 11:32 #892424

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1470

Isn't deck height normally measured with the cylinder torqued down??        Or was this just a "photo op"?
Yes! Measurements were take with the block nipped down.
That pic is from my build thread over on the Z1 forum and was taken after i'd took my head substitute spacers off.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

turbo engine build recomendations. thanks! 26 Dec 2023 03:55 #893138

• turbodarnell
  • turbodarnell's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
hey zed, im using a main bearing support cap plate. does that require new fasteners, or do i mill the cap down so that the old bolts will fit? thanks! 

turbo engine build recomendations. thanks! 26 Dec 2023 06:14 #893141

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1973
I used original bolts . Then at next time I dug into the motor I put the lower end stud kit in  from APE
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

turbo engine build recomendations. thanks! 26 Dec 2023 09:38 #893148

• zed1015
  • User

hey zed, im using a main bearing support cap plate. does that require new fasteners, or do i mill the cap down so that the old bolts will fit? thanks! 
The cap has to be milled to fit the cap.
Once the hump has been machined off you then have to further mill off the thickness of the support plate to make it the same height as it was originally where the bolts sat .
You can then either use the original bolts or fit a HD stud kit.
Pic shows a couple of caps i'm in the process of doing for my current builds.
The one on the right has the hump removed but is still the original height where the bolts sat.
And the one on the left has had the thickness of the support cap milled off so that the whole assembly is the same height as original when fitted. . 

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

Attachments:

Last edit: by zed1015.

turbo engine build recomendations. thanks! 26 Dec 2023 09:42 #893149

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1865

APE plate can’t be used unles the main cap is milled. Then you can use original bolts, but defeats the purpose. Main studs are recommended 
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Last edit: by Mikaw.

turbo engine build recomendations. thanks! 26 Dec 2023 21:51 #893157

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 636

APE plate can’t be used unles the main cap is milled. Then you can use original bolts, but defeats the purpose. Main studs are recommended 

Perfect timing with this post...

I'm currently fitting APE main studs, and had two people suggest this main cap mod.  Wouldn't mind a couple more, since I'm installing a welded crank that no-way I can imagine would come out in pieces.  Seems like over kill to do the cap mod for my street-use only application, but I don't know...

APE instructions below mention using Loctite on the main case studs.  Is Loctite Red 271 appropriate?

www.aperaceparts.com/tech/mbskaw.html

1982 KZ1100-A2

turbo engine build recomendations. thanks! 27 Dec 2023 01:28 #893159

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1816

Perfect timing with this post...

I'm currently fitting APE main studs, and had two people suggest this main cap mod.  Wouldn't mind a couple more, since I'm installing a welded crank that no-way I can imagine would come out in pieces.  Seems like over kill to do the cap mod for my street-use only application, but I don't know...

APE instructions below mention using Loctite on the main case studs.  Is Loctite Red 271 appropriate?

Personally I prefer "blue" loctite on anything I may want to take out again at a later date (especially a stud where there is no head to get a spanner on) as "red" is pretty permanent (heat can help if you need to remove)

turbo engine build recomendations. thanks! 27 Dec 2023 02:08 #893160

• zed1015
  • User

When fitting the HD studs they don't necessarily sit at the correct height when fully screwed into the cases and bottomed out so may end up too short for sufficient depth of thread contact in the nuts.
This especially applies to the cylinder studs ( which always usually need the heights setting ) but can also affect the case studs too.
You should dry fit the studs to check the length and if any sit too low they should be wound out to the correct height and marked at the base then set at that height with a permanent thread lock such as 271 to stop them winding in or out during torquing or removal of the nuts.
It's normal practice to set them in with high strength thread lock as there's no reason to remove them under normal circumstances for engine maintenance and rebuilds and the thread lock in the case needs to be stronger than that on the nuts so that the studs don't wind out instead of the nuts undoing..
The case nuts themselves only require normal blue thread lock but non on the head nuts..

The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, Mikaw, Wookie58

Last edit: by zed1015.

turbo engine build recomendations. thanks! 27 Dec 2023 09:41 #893166

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 636

When fitting the HD studs they don't necessarily sit at the correct height when fully screwed into the cases and bottomed out so may end up too short for sufficient depth of thread contact in the nuts.
This especially applies to the cylinder studs ( which always usually need the heights setting ) but can also affect the case studs too.
You should dry fit the studs to check the length and if any sit too low they should be wound out to the correct height and marked at the base then set at that height with a permanent thread lock such as 271 to stop them winding in or out during torquing or removal of the nuts.
It's normal practice to set them in with high strength thread lock as there's no reason to remove them under normal circumstances for engine maintenance and rebuilds and the thread lock in the case needs to be stronger than that on the nuts so that the studs don't wind out instead of the nuts undoing..
The case nuts themselves only require normal blue thread lock but non on the head nuts..

Thanks Zed!  That is the approach I had contemplated, with blue 242 on the nuts. 

Assuming the proper way to go about this is to lightly but thoroughly coat the insertion thread length of each stud, with immediate installation to set position in the case, and allow 24 hours to cure before applying torque. 

The two outer right studs needed to set 3/16" deeper into the case than the factory threads would allow.
The removal of a few threads at the top, and increase of thread depth at the bottom were necessary to achieve this, and no increase of hole depth was required.

Done with that!

Ended up squirting a few drops of Loctite directly on the case threads so the studs would spread it around while threading in, and press the excess upwards and out when they bottom out.

Worked great!
1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

Last edit: by daveo.

turbo engine build recomendations. thanks! 02 Jan 2024 05:51 #893424

• turbodarnell
  • turbodarnell's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
hey zed somebody mentioned earlier about o ring the cylinders, im not sure exactly what that means. could you explain? thanks!

turbo engine build recomendations. thanks! 02 Jan 2024 09:07 #893432

• zed1015
  • User

hey zed somebody mentioned earlier about o ring the cylinders, im not sure exactly what that means. could you explain? thanks!
To help contain the increased cylinder pressure when fitting a turbo or supercharger and using a copper head gasket it is usual to machine a shallow groove in the top of the liner around the bore or in the head around the combustion chamber and insert a steel ring ( usually wire ) which protrudes above the surface .
This bites into the copper gasket when torqued down and creates a more secure, tighter seal against blow by and gasket failure.
For street use and where boost doesn't exceed around 25 psi modern MLS gaskets are now used and no O' ring is needed at all which negates the need to re machine a groove every time you need to change a liner or cylinders.