Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Need confirmation that timing is set wrong on my 1976 KZ900 22 Apr 2024 16:04 #897985

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629

Here's another one...

Ride the piss out of it!

Who said that? 

The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo, Rolf1976_KZ900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need confirmation that timing is set wrong on my 1976 KZ900 22 Apr 2024 20:32 #898001

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 256
I've seen that one before!    
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo, SWest, Rolf1976_KZ900

Need confirmation that timing is set wrong on my 1976 KZ900 23 Apr 2024 00:42 #898003

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • Rolf1976_KZ900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116
Haha i heard that i few times now.Well yesterday i did a new try to check the ignition timing ,but i could not get the timinglight to work on cyl 2-3 again .It works at idle ,but not when increasing rpm to check the advancemark.Not sure why ? maybe the picupcoil for 2-3 is defect ?

I adjusted the timingplate a little clockwice and the 1-4 is now spot on nr 2-3 is a little out on idle .Will try to check more today ,but not happy with letting the bike idle and maybe glacing the bores so i may just ride it more before more checking

Attachments:

Last edit: by Rolf1976_KZ900. Reason: typing

Need confirmation that timing is set wrong on my 1976 KZ900 25 Apr 2024 02:59 #898094

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • Rolf1976_KZ900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116
I now have got the timing/strobe light to work on cyl 2-3 at 2500rpm. It was just to put the timinglight to the plugwire to cyl 2. I read somewhere that on this type of coils one ht lead is positive and the other negative so maybe that was the reason the light did not work on cyl 3 ht lead. I thaught the left pickupcoil needed a little adjustment since i adjusted it back in september when i used a test bulb to set the timing and just a day or 2 after that one coil melted.So the main timingplate is now turned clockwice back to the setting i used when a coil melted. After what i have understand the coilmelting has nothing to do with ignition timing??  So now both sides are spot on timingmark at 2500rpm.
Yesterday i was for a ride again and it was only about 3degree celsius so i had to have the choke on for the first 10-15 minutes  or else it almost stopped that is not good because it both sot down the plugs and may wash down oilfilm in the bores not what i want when running in the engine. The bike almost stopped at one time and i guess it was because of fouled plugs.
Later checked the plugs and they was sotty, but bike runs good. I then replaced the plugs .Im hoping for varmer weather so the bike dont need so much choke and i can take a look at the plugs again.After replaced the plugs an engine was fairly warm it started popping a little from exhaust .i knew cyl 2 downpipe was the hottest so i turned the micture screw on that out one quarter and after that the popping stopped. I think it is a little lean on all 4 now so will later try to adjust the mixturescrews a little more out. I had set the mixturescrews same as before  overhauled the carbs this winter,but
since  replaced them with new screws i think the settings dont match now , also did a valvejob so that also make things different i think.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Rolf1976_KZ900. Reason: typing