• Page:

TOPIC:

Clutch all screwed up!! 13 Jul 2020 11:03 #830570

• Sheath
  • Sheath's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 05 17 1984
  • Thank you received: 14
Hey everyone, help needed please! Basically 5 months ago I fitted a whole new genuine clutch kit and genuine cable to my 1980 z1000 st , carefully set it all up and it's been riding fine until all of a sudden the bite point changed, so I thought maybe things have settled and I'll check the slack on the little arm using the 12mm spanner and flat screwdriver, well the screw didn't feel right and I tried setting it up 14 times! Over and over giving the cable all the slack backing off then turning the screw to resistance then turning back half a turn and locking the nut, each time I got a great lever feel and it pulled in and touched the grip but as soon as I had the bike running the lever would only pull in half way and it felt awful, eventually I tried to set it up a 15th time, really adjusted the cable, pulled the lever and SNAP! the little arm went limp and there was a terrible bearing drop sound from inside the final drive bevel box, I quickly undid the nut on the arm and then then the whole screw piece just disappeared inside the hole!! Now I'm in a world of hurt! My question is ,is there any easy way to remove that bevel cover without having to pull out the entire swing arm and shaft? Should I also remove the clutch cover side and inspect that too? I have gaskets and a full pushrod assembly so that's all okay but it's the job itself I'm worried about! Is it a nightmare?! Any advice will be really appreciated!
Many thanks
Luke :)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Sheath. Reason: Add pic

Clutch all screwed up!! 13 Jul 2020 12:31 #830575

• M_a_t_t
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 41
The manual for my bike (83 kz1100 shaft) refers to the bevel gear cover (first pic) as the one you remove to adjust the clutch. Maybe terminology is different for your bike, but do you mean the part in the second picture? I didn't look up your bike, these are listed under mine.

83 KZ1100A (shaft)
17 Versys X 300 abs
81 kz650h1
81 kz750e2
90 Honda CBR600F (brother's)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sheath

Last edit: by M_a_t_t.

Clutch all screwed up!! 13 Jul 2020 12:40 #830576

• Sheath
  • User
  • 05 17 1984
Yes exactly the second pic! It's terrible because the shaft bolts in with four bolts meaning it looks like the whole shaft needs to be pulled away first, unless maybe I can possibly get rid of the black rubber cover over the uj in the shaft and dismantle that joint allowing me to disconnect the shaft without taking the whole swingarm out?;)

Clutch all screwed up!! 13 Jul 2020 13:21 #830580

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
I am a little confused , your clutch release mechanism looks total shot in single pices.
Sorry. i am not the shaft bike Guru but the adjustment screw and lock nut position make me :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
Any more pics???

Clutch all screwed up!! 13 Jul 2020 13:33 #830581

• Sheath
  • User
  • 05 17 1984
Hee hee no more pics I'm afraid ,only what it looked like before, it definitely is in pieces!
Attachments:

Clutch all screwed up!! 13 Jul 2020 13:57 #830582

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 632
If you must pull the front bevel gear case, do not attempt to remove the gear that engages the drive shaft at the rear of the unit. Driveshaft disengagement requires removal of the rear differential unit before depressing a release-pin that holds the driveshaft on that gear. The driveshaft removal and reattachment is a tricky process, which is described in the KZ1100 factory service manual.
Been through that headache when my clutch push-rod broke.

Please note correction in later post!

:pinch:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sheath

Last edit: by daveo.

Clutch all screwed up!! 13 Jul 2020 14:13 #830587

• Sheath
  • User
  • 05 17 1984
That proposition sounds far more attractive! If I can remove the whole clutch basket on.the other side then get all the pushrod pieces out and then insert a new assembly then I'll do that! I assume then that there is room for the screw /bearing mechanism to go through from the cluch plate side? Also I see in the diagrams that there is one big ball bearing near the clutch plate side, hopefully that's not too hard to set up? ! Many thanks for all the info so far guys :)

Clutch all screwed up!! 13 Jul 2020 14:28 #830589

• daveo
  • Premium Member
Problem I see from your first picture, the clutch adjustment mechanism has been pushed inside the case. Hopefully it can be carefully re-positioned through the case hole, but if not, you may have to remove the gear-case to do it.

So, don't do a thing with the clutch side before getting that actuator corrected.

Sorry I was mistaken, please disregard the above suggestion. The broken piece of my clutch push-rod DID NOT fall into the oil pan. It landed in the bottom of the gear case housing, and fell into the plastic catch pan when the gear case was removed.

:ohmy:

When I had that clutch lever "snap" sensation happen, pictured below was the cause. Can't say if that happened with yours, but sounds like it...

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

Clutch all screwed up!! 13 Jul 2020 14:42 #830592

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
Can anybody share a digital copy of a KZ 1100 shaft or similar model service manual i miss in my collection?

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Clutch all screwed up!! 13 Jul 2020 14:51 #830593

• Sheath
  • User
  • 05 17 1984
Oh dear that adjustment screw is jammed in there too!! I tried many tools to get it out! Plus I need to find out what made the ball bearing dropping sound from inside the moment the thing broke!
It's not looking good! Now I wish I'd found a chain drive mk2 z1000!! :laugh: :laugh:

Clutch all screwed up!! 13 Jul 2020 15:20 #830594

• daveo
  • Premium Member
Please note the corrections I made to my earlier posts.
It appears your bevel case will need to be removed. The worst part of the experience for me was scraping the old paper gasket off the engine.
All I can say about that: Take your time, and try to not get pissed-off like I did...

:pinch:

P.S. After considering all the trouble-free smooth miles I've enjoyed on my 1135, thoughts of trading shaft drive for chain flee quickly. The bright side is next time the newer gasket will be easier to deal with...

:)
1982 KZ1100-A2

Clutch all screwed up!! 14 Jul 2020 00:22 #830623

• Sheath
  • User
  • 05 17 1984
Thanks Daveo that's really good info :) yes it looks like the bevel cover will have to come off... I just hope I don't have to remove the whole swing arm to do it? ! Also your 1100 looks super clean! :cheer: that's some real mirror polish on the generator cover! I need to get mine to that point someday! :)

• Page: