Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Clutch all screwed up!! 14 Jul 2020 05:24 #830631

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 636

Sheath wrote: Thanks Daveo that's really good info :) yes it looks like the bevel cover will have to come off... I just hope I don't have to remove the whole swing arm to do it? ! Also your 1100 looks super clean! :cheer: that's some real mirror polish on the generator cover! I need to get mine to that point someday! :)

Swing arm stays...

Chrome minimizes polishers elbow. :laugh:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clutch all screwed up!! 14 Jul 2020 05:41 #830632

• Sheath
  • Sheath's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 05 17 1984
  • Thank you received: 14
Right! I've formulated a battle plan. ...I've just got back from my friends classic kawasaki parts store, new and second hand, I bought the whole final drive cover just in case, the clutch pushrod and bearing, the screw and nut part which is probably broken on mine, while I was there I got an underseat tool kit (finally!) Exhaust collars which although second hand are much better than mine and finally nos covers for the speedo and tacho £50 all together ;) oh and I've just ordered one of those dark green service manuals from eBay, that cost £48 by itself! !
Attachments:

Clutch all screwed up!! 01 Aug 2020 14:18 #832038

• Sheath
  • Sheath's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 05 17 1984
  • Thank you received: 14
Today I finally fixed the clutch! What a long and terrible Job! Fighting the collar and pin to disconnect the shaft while the gear change shaft stops it from moving. ..it took 45 mins to wrestle it off ,straight away two bits fell out, a piece of broken pushrod and a big nut with thread bar in it! Here's the weird thing, firstly the push rod looks nothing like it should, it has a strange super skinny bit where it broke and second the nut came from the output shaft!! I have no idea how it sheared off cos that shaft is in nice roller bearings and spins freely, I think it might have been like this for a while because all the years I've had the bike there's always been a rattle under that cover, I've still no idea how it could have broken off though! Anyway I realised that the output shaft can't move in or out and when the outside cover is on the tubular splined bit presses on the thick washer so I'm hoping that it'll all be alright, chances are I've already covered thousands of miles with a broken off nut anyway! What do you guys think? Oh yeah and it was 2.5 hours of labour to get that cover back on, absolute nightmare! But now it runs lovely and quiet, the clutch feels great and I've got the adjustment and bite at the lever just right! Phew! :)

• Page: