Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Engine debris-What is it? 17 Jul 2006 11:31 #62651

• CTSZ1
  • CTSZ1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ever had one of those eureka! moments. After all of my worrying about the aluminum pieces in the oil pan and where they are coming from, I found a chunk about half the size of my little fingernail on the case wall in the crank area. Where did that come from? Funny thing the chunk had two machined sides. Then I remembered that when I bought this motor (over a year ago) I had to replace the clutch because......two of the fiber (fiber and aluminum) disks were broken. Eureka, that's where the excess of aluminum was coming from! So I've got a combo of the chain hitting the head and that clutch disk coming apart.

I'm feeling better all the time.

Post edited by: CTSZ1, at: 2006/07/17 14:35

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Engine debris-What is it? 17 Jul 2006 11:42 #62654

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
Good job on finding the source - sounds like you're well on your way to having a healthy motor again...

Engine debris-What is it? 17 Jul 2006 12:20 #62668

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
CTSZ1... Haven't been paying much attention to this thread but looked through it quickly. If the engine were mine, I would find a new set of cam bearings. Did the cam shafts get nicked up any? If so, I would replace those as well. I personally would tend to want to yank the engine and pull off the bottom case and flush it good. While in there I personally would toss the cam chain and put in a new one (unless your old one as new). The cam chain bits are expensive but I would use the best I could find/afford. One of the bits I see REGULAR damage to is the front/block rubber bumper. This is the deal that is held in the block with a phillips head screw. If you remove it and flex it, this piece is almost invariably cracked (can't see the crack till it is flexed). Once it starts cracking, it just seems to crumble away and I have seen some engines where NONE of it other than the two little ears it hangs from still in place. If you are trying to get the engine together and don't want to pull it, it will probably be OK as junk tends to float to the bottom of the pan but those cam bearings keep getting into my head... the crank bearings would be something I would be curious about...

Hope to see you at mid-Ohio... What is your human name? CTSZ1 probably won't work in a conversation bwhahaha
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Engine debris-What is it? 18 Jul 2006 06:23 #62849

• CTSZ1
  • User
wiredgeorge, Bearings are being replaced, cam shaft journals look fine no nicks or any visible wear. I'm replacing the cam chain, rollers and the guide. Also re-ringing it and replacing the valve seals.

Name is David. I've purchased some carb parts from you in the past. Hope to see you at VMD, I'll be on ole yella, hopefully.

thanks

Engine debris-What is it? 27 Jul 2006 16:56 #65274

• CTSZ1
  • User
Got her back together. new cam chain, rollers, cam bearings, set of rings and valve stem seals and of course gaskets. Put 200 hundred miles on her today and she ran like a champ. I think the carbs need to be re-synched but everything else seems great. Hope to see you all at VMD.

Thanks for the help.

Engine debris-What is it? 27 Jul 2006 17:16 #65279

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
CTSZ1 wrote:

Got her back together. ... Put 200 hundred miles on her today and she ran like a champ. I think the carbs need to be re-synched but everything else seems great. Hope to see you all at VMD.

Glad to hear the good news - enjoy her... ;)

Thanks for the help.

No problem. B)

Engine debris-What is it? 27 Jul 2006 18:11 #65293

• KawasakiBob
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I had nightmares about that thing on the wing of the plane.....

Engine debris-What is it? 27 Jul 2006 21:19 #65366

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
I dropped my oil pan before loading the 615 kit in it and this is what I found:

#3 Rod is the culprit. Now I'm also replacing the oil pump, and shortblock. 44,000 miles on a 21 year old engine. That screen worked wonders.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Engine debris-What is it? 27 Jul 2006 21:44 #65371

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
Yow. I'd imagine that rod looks like a cross-cut saw.

No odd noises? I'd have thought there would be.

Amazing machines...