Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 16 Dec 2021 06:05 #859159

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 597
The main thing is you're apparently not seriously injured.  Rest, decompress & recover over the holidays.

We're wrapped up emotionally with our bikes as favorite toys for the most part.  They also define us in significant ways.  Favorite toys become more highly valued to it's enthusiast/owner than an objective viewer (read insurance company) could acknowledge.  We predict another bike is in your future & many more miles of satisfying Ridin'.

slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Stereordinary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 16 Dec 2021 06:07 #859160

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
  • Thank you received: 377
It sucks that you were hit but I'm glad you are not seriously injured. It pays to keep an eye on your mirrors when you are stopped to see what is coming up. I do the same in my LBCs.
Also, when at a light there is no law that says you need to be right up on the car's bumper. I always leave plenty of room to get around the car in front of me if needed. 
Good luck with the insurance company. We like to think we will always be made whole but, at the end of the day we have insurance to mitigate risk. 
Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 16 Dec 2021 07:23 #859162

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1858

It sucks that you were hit but I'm glad you are not seriously injured. It pays to keep an eye on your mirrors when you are stopped to see what is coming up. I do the same in my LBCs.
Also, when at a light there is no law that says you need to be right up on the car's bumper. I always leave plenty of room to get around the car in front of me if needed. 
Good luck with the insurance company. We like to think we will always be made whole but, at the end of the day we have insurance to mitigate risk. 
Good advice here. I’ve been rear ended, not like you, but it’s always top of mind now. It’s really easy to just sit and wait for the light to change and not keep a brake light on. Maybe because of my past I’m less trusting the guy behind me will stop. Good luck with the insurance. Hope you get your bike replaced. As 750 R1 said, the other guy took your bike from you. Here to a speedy recovery with minimum pain. Hope to have you back on the road soon. 
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, Stereordinary

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 16 Dec 2021 08:10 #859164

• ckahleer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 133
Besides what ever medical bills you have from this, Try to get something for your time pain and suffering. How much time have you put int this already and how much more time to come?
There insurance company is getting off cheap and should be more than happy to pay you something for this. Many people would be getting a personal injury attorney and be complaining about neck and back injuries.
94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
79 KZ400
85 VT 500c
85 VF1100c

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 16 Dec 2021 08:18 #859165

• ronnieV
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 293
It appears your angel's up above were looking out for you.Glad your ok.Bikes can be replaced.
77 ltd1000 80 ltd1000 78kz1000a ,02 red zrx 12r, 94 cb1000 big one ,03 valkyrie (my couch) 65 olds 442

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 16 Dec 2021 10:03 #859169

• BohicaBob
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 34
Been there, done that in 3/1984!  Only my '78 KZ1000 was more vertical than yours because the rear of my bike was stuck in a big old 1960s Chrysler's radiator!  Fortunately, I was able to repair my bike and ... myself because I was sent to the hospital via an ambulance with a seriously broken left collar bone. 

Last edit: by BohicaBob.

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 16 Dec 2021 11:21 #859170

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1969
You are a very lucky man to walk away from that accident .
Here is my 2 cts  as a former adjuster  40 plus years ago.
 It will pay off for you to do some proactive legwork on the bikes settlement 
First , Get your own estimate of repairs. Even if you have to write your own estimate.. Shops may not want to bother with you ..
 List all parts to be replaced and  labors to install. ( Dont forget to charge for removal as well )
List repair labor    itemizing  each operation .  Add paint work 
I hate to tell you , but based on picture  vs value the bike is almost for sure a total loss.
They totalled my Harley with less damage  Formula to total a vehicle is usually  cost of repairs plus salvage value  must be less than bikes value...
Next   Have at least 3  bikes of   like kind and quality  to give adjuster  proving what your bike is worth. 
Adjusters are lazy,  Do the leg work so they dont have to and you may get what you want .
Next ,, Dont sign off on not needing any medical releases until you know you are ok and as a bargaining chip to settle bike claim 
Good Luck , Merry Christmas 
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, ThatGPzGuy, Stereordinary

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 18 Dec 2021 09:17 #859264

• Stereordinary
  • Stereordinary's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 132
My insurance says the bike is totaled. They’re doing an evaluation, so I’m still waiting to hear back on that. I’ll be pursuing the other insurance to settle at an amount I’m happy with. 
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 18 Dec 2021 09:28 #859267

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Then buy the bike back as salvage, fix it and RIDE THE PISS OUT OF IT. 
Steve

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 18 Dec 2021 09:43 #859269

• Stereordinary
  • Stereordinary's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 132
I hope to! 
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 19 Dec 2021 06:00 #859292

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
That's scary!  I always worry about us getting rear ended, we try to stick to the roads less traveled but sometimes it can't be helped, I'm glad you seem to be ok, and hope you are.
The bike can be replaced, hopefully you can find another one and keep this one for parts, the motor and exhaust look great, but I would be worried about the frame, forks and swing arm.
Good luck!  
78 KZ1000 A2A

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 19 Dec 2021 08:21 #859300

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
My gut tells me you are in for an uphill battle all the way on this one..  First, always ask for the police to respond and make a report.  To not want the police called makes it seem less than what it really is.  You were on a motorcycle and got stuffed by a vehicle that is at least 4 times heavier than you, maybe more.  Documentation and a crash scene diagram should always be completed in these types of events including pictures.  Don't discount injuries that appear later on.  Never say you are "OK" as you really don't know what may manifest itself injury wise.  The human body has a unique way of covering up injuries initially, only to come forth later on.  Let your doctor make the determination if you are okay or not.

If you buy the bike back from the insurance company in my state, it will be a salvage vehicle which isn't a good thing many times as the title is marked as a salvage vehicle.  This can lead to other issues not easy to deal with.  I insured my KZ-1000 for pre-determined value through a more expensive collector vehicle insurance company.  Yes the premiums are more, but the value is determined by my negotiated declaration, not for the going average cost of replacement for any old vehicle.  Typically replacement value is based on "book value" which isn't much on an older vehicle in most cases.  In your case I would be quite surprised if the insurance company pays for repairs.  They will just offer you a settlement that they feel is justified.  At that point it's up to you to pursue the matter which could end up in court where all bets are off. 

Good luck on how you pursue this and the end result, but I would already have a good attorney at hand, not some ambulance chaser.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1