Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Decibals 04 Jun 2007 18:25 #146315

• kzwolfsr
  • kzwolfsr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
In Colorado or at least Denver, they are cutting down on loud pipes, particularly, those Harleys and choppers. So I am wondering, what is the decibals on my 4 into 1 Vance and Hines exhaust on my 1000? Is it over 80 db?
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Decibals 04 Jun 2007 18:31 #146318

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
It's prolly close if yer running an open header at 8000 rpms!!!

Attachments:

Decibals 04 Jun 2007 18:36 #146320

• kzwolfsr
  • User
I actually have a small chart like that and I really don't here my bike when its next to a truck or next to a Harley for that matter. They are charging $500 for anyone with loud pipes if that law comes true
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H

Decibals 04 Jun 2007 18:37 #146321

• neilage66
  • User
Couldn't resist...oh the possibilities! :evil:
Attachments:

Decibals 04 Jun 2007 18:54 #146323

• neilage66
  • User
This guy doesn't seem to care! :P
Attachments:

Decibals 04 Jun 2007 19:18 #146329

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
As a concert soundman....I would like a close look at that ordinance. If 80db. is the "limit", there should be a distance factor in there somewhere. IOW.....80 db @ "X" number feet away.....something like that.:whistle:
If you can imagine an outdoor concert at your local amphitheater...a "general" rule of thumb is 90 db @ 100 ft from stage. That is enforced to varying degrees by local constabulary to keep the neighbors from getting TOO tweaked.:pinch:
As usual though....it's gonna depend on the guy who will write the ticket as to whether or not its "too loud"...:angry:
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

Decibals 05 Jun 2007 09:26 #146515

• kzwolfsr
  • User
That can is big enough for me to put my garbage in every morning.

Decibals 05 Jun 2007 15:56 #146623

• godsjester71
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
neilage66 wrote:

It's prolly close if yer running an open header at 8000 rpms!!!

90db I hear is EQ to a Lawnmower and if subjected to it for a long period of time will cause hearing loss.

Quiet bedroom? Guess they never heard me sawing wood.

indykaw77 wrote:

As a concert soundman....I would like a close look at that ordinance. If 80db. is the "limit", there should be a distance factor in there somewhere. IOW.....80 db @ "X" number feet away.....something like that.:whistle:
If you can imagine an outdoor concert at your local amphitheater...a "general" rule of thumb is 90 db @ 100 ft from stage. That is enforced to varying degrees by local constabulary to keep the neighbors from getting TOO tweaked.:pinch:
As usual though....it's gonna depend on the guy who will write the ticket as to whether or not its "too loud"...:angry:

I remember sitting behind the sound booth at the U2 Joshua Tree concert at Rosemont Horizon, their red LED db meter was showing anywhere between 100-115.

Post edited by: godsjester71, at: 2007/06/05 18:58

Decibals 05 Jun 2007 15:59 #146626

• godsjester71
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
kzwolfsr wrote:

That can is big enough for me to put my garbage in every morning.

Decibals 05 Jun 2007 19:30 #146695

• neilage66
  • User
I'm glad someone is paying attention!

Good catch gj! :laugh: :woohoo:

Decibals 08 Jun 2007 05:19 #147414

• Tower_Monkey1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Now for the rest of the story... Yes the ordinance is 80 Db , but its 80Db at 25 feet for vehicles under 10,000 lbs . The new ordinance is going to be 82Db at 25 feet for vehicles under 10,000 lbs and 90Db for vehicles over 10,001 lbs . They are also adding a reving part to the ordinance just like they have in daytona beach Fl . Denver does have some noise equipment, but not enough to do the job correctly. So they are going to be looking at the exhaust system for the stamp that is required for all systems dated from 1982 EPA laws. There will be an exception for systems that are on all early model bikes , but if your ticketed you will have to be tested by thier equipment to see if you are over the noise limit of 82Db . Officers will only have to look at the newer bikes and see if the stamp is in place and if it isnt you can be ticketed.
78 KZ650C2 Dyna ignition and coils,Pod filters,4-1 Kerker,CBR Tail Light,Drilled front dics,Custom front fender,1/4 fairing.

Decibels 08 Jun 2007 07:02 #147444

• KaZooCruiser
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
This reminds me of one of my early adventures during college days.

I had a Honda SL175 with a rotten muffler that I couldn't find a replacement exhaust for. In retrospect I should have left ugly alone.

Where the pipes exited under the engine frame, I cut them off and had installed VW Beetle tailpipes. It was the fix that stayed with the bike until I sold it to become someone else's problem. I don't know why I thought they would work, except they are stock on quiet Volkswagen Beetles. Once I had them installed and fired off the bike, I knew I was going to have issues to deal with. . . .

:woohoo:

One night late after the bar closings, I turn off the main street and am cruising down the street I live on to go home. I barely had the throttle open due to the noise this thing would generate. As soon as I saw the cop car behind me I knew enough to keep the throttle limited, and when he hit the lights, I shut the bike off and coasted to the side of the road. That probably kept me out of the ticket, but the adventure wasn't over.

The two cops look me, and the bike over, and decide I can drive it home, but not before the one cop notices that "there aren't any mufflers on the bike."

Well, sir, yes there are . . . they are stock units off a Volkswagon Beetle. Flashlights inspect my handiwork.

The first cop says, They don't look like anything but glasspacks.

I say, they are what come on the back of VW bugs. It's the part of the muffler you see when you are behind them.

The second cop says, They're mufflers. lets go.

:whistle:

I fiddled with things and just could not get the bike started for some reason to drive it home until they drove off. I would have pushed it home the last three blocks if I had had to.

:lol:

• Page: