Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

My GPz750 Resto-mod (pic heavy) 23 Jan 2014 04:00 #619716

• StreetfighterKz
  • StreetfighterKz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 117
Last update for several weeks at least...

I got a few packages today.

One was my CB750 speedo cable. It is indeed about 38" long and is just long enough to work. I have it routed around the cylinder head. I'll probably make a small cable guide to keep it from rubbing and melting the outer sheath on the engine.

I finally found a set of '97-98 Cbr1100XX brake rotors for a decent deal. They bolt up to the Vfr750 rim and looks like the rotor offset is going to be really close.

Later, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My GPz750 Resto-mod (pic heavy) 01 Feb 2014 11:52 #620814

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
OK, I know I said the last update would be the last for several weeks but I HAD to take a break from packing up my house.

I knocked out a left wheel spacer super quick and reused one I made for the 900RR rim I had just to get the front wheel roughly centered so I can roll the bike around and move it. I will take pics later when I finalize the spacers.

Then I got side-tracked. If you take a look at some of the previous pics, the top triple has a big recess for the Zx11 stem nut. Since I did the stem swap, the ugly Gpz stem bolt is exposed. So I made a nice little cover. I'm undecided on painting it black to blend in, leave it natural, or polish it. I will need to drill and tap the triple for a set screw as the cover is only a light press fit.

Later, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

My GPz750 Resto-mod (pic heavy) 12 Mar 2014 19:06 #625010

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
WOW!!! I didn't realize it's been almost 6 weeks since I've done anything with the bike. I guess that's what happens when I move a couple states over to a rental house then make an offer on a real house just so I can again. I don't want to dirty up the rental garage too much so I haven't done any fabrication and I haven't really bothered organizing either due to the second upcoming move.

I did buy a few small goodies and I'm still trying to come up with a set of turn signals that I really like without sending a bunch of cash to Japan.

Anyways, here's what I just bought...

Left side switch:

Right side switch:

And appropriate connectors to mate with the stock harness as well as a couple extras for the LED tail light and future turn signals (when I finally make up my mind).

Later, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

My GPz750 Resto-mod (pic heavy) 18 Mar 2014 19:55 #625708

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
I received my connectors yesterday and started to swap over the controls.

The right side was easy enough...6 wires to 6 wires...

The left side not so easy, which I why I'm putting it off.

Also, on Saturday I started tackling the task of fitting an early 900RR fender to the Zrx forks.

The holes are mounted too high on the fender or too low on the fork legs to just bolt it on with some spacers.
I did have to trim about a 1" or so from the fender to fit but to get the required clearance I need to raise the fender about 1".

I grabbed some small metal tabs and a spacer just for mock-up. Think it may work...

I didn't want to fab a bracket to inside the fender so I dug around and found these 6mm rubber well nut things (that ironically came with the Zrx forks). I had to open up the fender holes a little but easy enough.

Here's the template I came up with.

I'm still debating on whether or not to make it from aluminum or steel plate. I can weld steel so I can welds nuts to the back for mounting to the forks but I don't have the ability to weld aluminum so another means of holding the fastener would be needed.

Later, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

My GPz750 Resto-mod (pic heavy) 20 Mar 2014 10:35 #625900

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
Got just a little further on the left switch wiring.

I found a nice Ex650 wiring diagram online that I printed off. Then I took the pins out of the connector so I could group each set to each function.

Then things all fell apart.

Turns out the Gpz has 11 total pins with a 5-wire headlight switch due to a reserve lighting unit and a 3-wire clutch safety switch. The Ninja has 10 pins with a 3-wire headlight switch and only a 2-wire safety switch.

I figured I'd take out the new switch and start plugging in the free leads until the headlight worked. Didn't happen as I found this on the main loom.

I have to eventually strip the frame to be welded and powder coated so that was as good as a time as any.

I'm taking a step backwards but I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to fix, shorten, and tidy up the loom (ie ditch the reserve lighting unit) before reinstalling it.

Later, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

My GPz750 Resto-mod (pic heavy) 20 Mar 2014 11:32 #625905

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
When you put together your new loom when you need to tape wires where they branch out of the loom sheathing or where the sheathing ends (or if you wrap the whole loom rather than use sheathing) I would highly recommend using F4 Self-fusing Silicone Tape to wrap the wires. This stuff is great. It looks much like electrical tape, but that's where the resemblance ends. When you use it you stretch it as you wrap things (wires, sink drains, you name it). Stretching it activates some magic molecules in it and makes it bond to itself. Of course, it insulates electrical connections, but what's so great about it is that it doesn't have any gummy adhesive and it doesn't stick or bond to the wires themselves. It only sticks to itself. So if you ever need to remove it there is no sticky residue, plus heat doesn't make any gooey stuff seep out like electrical tape. A 36' roll goes a long way because you stretch it to use it. Here are a couple links about it. Ed

www.f4tape.com/
www.amazon.com/Products-F4TapeBlack-F4-T...self-fusing+silicone
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

My GPz750 Resto-mod (pic heavy) 20 Mar 2014 13:51 #625921

• GA Joe
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for that gem Ed! I'm ordering some for my project.

My GPz750 Resto-mod (pic heavy) 20 Mar 2014 19:34 #625966

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
Thanks for the tip ED. I have sheathing that I was going to use on my 900 when it gets a custom harness but I think I'm going to use it for the GPz.

I was tired of hitting road block so I decided to tackle a few little things that needed done.

I figured out a way to keep my steering bolt cover in place. Simply drilled a hole and then threaded it for a small button head screw.

On the bike...

Then I moved on to figuring out what I want to do for turn signals. I've been searching for months for just the right turn signals. I debated flush mount vs. stem....round vs. square/rectangular...etc. etc.

I started digging in my tote of electrical goodies and found a single old skool Lockhart Phillips Short Stalk. I removed the stock GPz signal and mocked up the LP unit. It angled toward the front and just didn't look right.

I had seen quite a few Japanese custom GPz's with the signals mounted where the factory reflectors go. I liked the look but it seemed to stick too far out so I would have to tuck it in more.

I remembered I had some flush mounts I got for free when I bought some parts for my Bandit. So back to the tote and some more digging.

Hooked one up to a battery to see the spread of light and brightness.

Held it up and the mounting bolts are almost exactly the correct spacing! :rock:

They fit perfectly!! They almost mimic the shape of the stock turn signal base but are smaller.:thumbsup:

Being smoked they also tend to blend in with the blue paint so they aren't real noticeable.

Now, I just have to find a nice solution for the rear.

Later, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

My GPz750 Resto-mod (pic heavy) 20 Mar 2014 23:48 #625985

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664

StreetfighterKz wrote:
They fit perfectly!! They almost mimic the shape of the stock turn signal base but are smaller.:thumbsup:

damn that looks slick. nice find.

My GPz750 Resto-mod (pic heavy) 21 Mar 2014 06:42 #626005

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
worked out nice!

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

My GPz750 Resto-mod (pic heavy) 21 Mar 2014 10:34 #626028

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
Thanks for the compliments guys!

Any one have an idea for a slick setup in the rear? Right now I'm leaning towards putting some LED's in a metal license plate frame.

Later, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

My GPz750 Resto-mod (pic heavy) 21 Mar 2014 13:28 #626049

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
since you went stemless in the front i would follow suit in the rear. maybe a integrated turn signal tail light?