76 KZ900 Singarm Swap Out

More
23 Jul 2024 13:10 #902483 by kans728
76 KZ900 Singarm Swap Out was created by kans728
I’m planning to restomod my 76 kz900 and would like to replace the rear swingarm with an easy swap from an existing bike or just purchase a new swingarm with that is at least 2” over. I would like to mount a zx9r rear wheel to it. This will not be a performance bike- -just something that is cool looking and handles better than stock. So, any thoughts regarding the pros and cons of a swingarm from and existing bike or to just go with a new swingarm like Trac or Sculpture. Maybe there are other manufacturers of swingarms that I’m not aware of. As stated in another post, I’m not too worried about spending money to do it right or to go with new parts. What say you guys?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2024 23:12 #902492 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic 76 KZ900 Singarm Swap Out
Hi and welcome from the UK. There are lot's of posts regarding swopping in later running gear on the forum. Have you tried the search function ?
I would suggest thinking about what front end you are also planning to use as it needs to work with whatever you do at the back. Adding excessive length won't necessarily make it "handle better" if that is the goal (it will improve straight line stability but it will turn slower) The best advice I can give is stand back and think about the end goal then work out a complete package of mods that will get you there. Everything you do will effect something else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

More
24 Jul 2024 01:36 #902494 by willemZ900
Replied by willemZ900 on topic 76 KZ900 Singarm Swap Out
This is wat i did, a reinforced z1000 swingarm, also for the time periode look

• Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
    • Premium Member
    • Never change a running system
    More
    24 Jul 2024 03:00 #902495 by Scirocco
  • Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
    • Premium Member
    More
    24 Jul 2024 03:15 #902496 by Scirocco
    Replied by Scirocco on topic 76 KZ900 Singarm Swap Out
    and the KZ bikes to the swing arms.

• The following user(s) said Thank You: kans728

More
    24 Jul 2024 06:42 #902498 by kans728
    Replied by kans728 on topic 76 KZ900 Singarm Swap Out
    Thanks for the advice. I’m new to the forum and welcome any and all guidance. I’m planning to change the front end using the forks from a 94-96 ZX9R. I submitted a separate topic on the front end for my bike, however, I’m not sure if I did it correctly as I have not seen it. Maybe I should resubmit it.

More
    24 Jul 2024 08:04 #902499 by Wookie58
    Replied by Wookie58 on topic 76 KZ900 Singarm Swap Out

Thanks for the advice. I’m new to the forum and welcome any and all guidance. I’m planning to change the front end using the forks from a 94-96 ZX9R. I submitted a separate topic on the front end for my bike, however, I’m not sure if I did it correctly as I have not seen it. Maybe I should resubmit it.
    Can't see your front end post, best to re-submit - If this is the USD front end then Zed1015 has a simple mod that will give you back some of the lost length and keep the geometry sensible

• SWest
    • Sustaining Member
    • 10 22 2014
    More
    24 Jul 2024 08:51 - 24 Jul 2024 08:52 #902500 by SWest
    Replied by SWest on topic 76 KZ900 Singarm Swap Out
    I was planning on swapping out my swing arm. 
    www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/600555-s...-z1-zzr1200?start=36
    When that didn't work out I I got a 98 KZP swing arm that is 1 1/2" longer and is beefier than stock. Problem was it's wider at the pivot so I had to shave some off each side, cut the spacer to match, install thick washers over the inside pivot bushings for it to clear then clamp down in the inside of the frame. I didn't want to shave the bushings in case I wanted to go back to stock if this didn't work. It works well with no slop and is solid but it presented another problem. THE TIRE HITS THE FENDER ON LARGE BUMPS! I made a fender extender to move it 2" back so that worked. 
    www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/620298-w...-ever-done-it#898521
    Changing the front end can be tricky if not down right dangerous if too low. 
    Last edit: 24 Jul 2024 08:52 by SWest.

• DOHC
    • Sustaining Member
    • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
    More
    24 Jul 2024 12:39 #902504 by DOHC
    Replied by DOHC on topic 76 KZ900 Singarm Swap Out
    There are a lot of custom sport bikes with extended swingarms, but I don't have a clue where those are made. My guess is that they are custom, and I'd probably look around for custom bike shops that do fabrication.

The early '80s GS1100 swingarm is a bolt on swap for the KZ900/1000 frame.  It's aluminum, and longer than the KZ arm.  But I don't have any idea if it will fit the wheel you have in mind.  The stock wheels were definitely not that wide at the time.

No matter what you do, you're likely going to need to do some fabrication.  Rear wheel size is not the only variable.  There are tons of different axles sizes, axle spacers, and brake mounting setups. 

The one place I know of that does really cool looking custom swingarms and other bits is Patriot Racing (formerly Motogpwerks).  They purchased the rights to CalFab, and have been making modern recreations of period CalFab swingarms.  My guess is that if you have the budget, they might be willing to make a custom setup for you.

patriotracingindustries.com/calfab/?page=3

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
    My dad's '74 Z1
    '00 ZRX1100

• Scirocco
    • Premium Member
    More
    24 Jul 2024 13:36 - 24 Jul 2024 23:46 #902508 by Scirocco
    Replied by Scirocco on topic 76 KZ900 Singarm Swap Out
    All the wheels, F/R brake caliper, F/R MC and the USD fork on the green bike are ZX9-R (93-96 A, B, C, D) parts.
    No need to mod the frond end to get more ground clearance.
    The conversion with ZX9-R custom parts is street legal German TÜV aproofed and that means something!

• Last edit: 24 Jul 2024 23:46 by Scirocco.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7