Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1978-1979 Kawasaki KZ750 twin exhaust compatibility? 17 Jan 2024 17:11 #894115

• tyschaef
  • tyschaef's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have no idea what forum this question fits into so I apologize if it’s the wrong one. I’m 19 and I just recently bought a used 1979 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin and I am fixing it up and making it run again. I took the exhaust off of my bike and the H-pipe that connected the two exhausts on each side broke off as I took the exhaust off to clean it, so I need a new exhaust. I don’t really want to drop $400 on a brand new exhaust because the mufflers are still in good shape and I really only need the headers. I saw an eBay posting for the exhaust from the same bike I have but it’s a different manufacturing year, 1978. Would the two exhaust measurements be the same and would it work? The mufflers have a pin thing that screws onto the rear foot peg to prevent it from bouncing around when you’re riding. Would those measurements be the same and would it line up? It would be a good way to save money. And if not, where could I get just the headers or even a cheaper exhaust than $400?  I attached two pictures, one of my bike, and one of the eBay listing I saw with the red circles marking the two things that would need to line up in order for it to be compatible.

Any input is appreciated, thank you
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

1978-1979 Kawasaki KZ750 twin exhaust compatibility? 18 Jan 2024 17:33 #894159

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
 76-79 b1-4 exhausts are all exactly the same. what you shown does not appear to be a factory exhaust, looks like someone has modified it to remove the crossover and aftermarket mufflers. so who knows how well it will fit.

The cheapest solution is probably modifying the exhaust you have. If you have a welder, a friend thats a welder, or even a local fab shop, this will likely be a cheaper solution depending on the state your exhaust is in. if its not too far gone It shouldn't be hard to either replace the crossover slip fit or simply cap the cross over hole.

Preferably you want to keep the cross over as it keeps low end torque when the exhaust gases are at a lower velocity.

do you have pics of where it broke off?

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

1978-1979 Kawasaki KZ750 twin exhaust compatibility? 19 Jan 2024 06:20 #894168

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1625
Depending upon how bad it is, you might be able to use copper fittings to repair or replace the crossover. Someone here on KZR did this a while ago.

For future reference if you stumble across any replies by steell or bountyhunter, they know a lot about the 750-Twin models. The engine was pretty much unchanged throughout the model run from 76-83 and all of them had a kick starter, so that was unchanged as well. You can probably use the mufflers from any model, but you may have to fab up muffler hanger brackets for the later mufflers. not sure if center stand clearance would be a problem, but the fitment at the exhaust ports will be the same. 

• Page: