• Page:

TOPIC:

Hiya and a question about my lift... 12 Apr 2021 07:12 #846574

• jtreg
  • jtreg's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys

New to the forum ... Thanks for adding me... biker for 48 years, toured the US on a KZ1000P ... check the story on my website at www.tregaskis.org ...

So I have a problem maybe you  can help me out with?
I've had this motorcycle lift for well over eight years and I haven't used it the last 2-3 years; it's been sitting in the garage ,covered in junk. More recently I have decided to drag it out and repair it. The reason I haven't used it is because it is quite dangerous.
It is dangerous because it drops like a stone.

It is not the first time I have attempted to solve the problem I dismantled the whole motorcycle lift, taking the main part, the pump into the parts department of where I bought it from. They could not supply a replacement as it was obsolete. Are then rather naïvely thought I could buy a newer version of the pump and modify the motorcycle lift… When it arrived in the post I decided this was a little bit too difficult for me and I reluctantly returned it.

pump; release valve on left

This time around, I started to think a bit harder and looked closer at the mechanism. I took the following actions to try and remedy the problem. Each action was followed by testing the lowering of the left to no avail.

1. Dismantled release mechanism, I found the central pin was bent - It was straightened using a lathe and dial gauge. I replaced the O ring on the central pin (see photo)

2. Adjusted the lever bar inwards (as advised by the seller's technical department) - all the way in, but no more adjustment was available.

3. Vented the oil - checked many times.

4. Changed the oil and re-vented hydraulic system by raising it and lowering it. Holding ot fully up overnight to release trapped air etc.

Still have no idea what could be wrong with it. It pumps up ok and hold its position pumped up but drops down really fast in an alarming way.

The terrible parts diagram on Clarke International's website - the only one I can find. (Pump highlighted in red)

The release action feels 'notchy' its either on <notch> or off...It you understand.

Any help would be really great!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hiya and a question about my lift... 12 Apr 2021 08:00 #846576

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
I wonder if a cheap bottle jack can be adapted? Seems to me the return holes are too large allowing too much fluid to pass on lowering. 
Steve

Hiya and a question about my lift... 12 Apr 2021 18:50 #846603

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 353
This is one of those times I would just pay for new jack/lift.
I always see myself losing arms,head, legs.
 Always tempted though.
I've gone to Parker Hannifin's website too many times.
be safe. we don't want to lose you.
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

Hiya and a question about my lift... 13 Apr 2021 05:10 #846616

• jtreg
  • User
thanks guys - still hoping for technical knowledge and an engineering-based solution... seems to be very little on this online. Its not enough to add a bolt to stop lever going down too much. I tried that too!

Hiya and a question about my lift... 19 May 2021 02:06 #848720

• jtreg
  • User
I did some work on the problem and made a video - so please have a look... It's defnitely a bit better but not completly sorted...
Let me have your comments - preferably on YouTube as well if you can! Thanks guys!

• Page: