Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Stock Air Box VS Pod Filters 04 Jul 2021 07:04 #851232

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
  • Thank you received: 47
I remember that article, good stuff! Going through this on my Z1-R at this very moment. Will soon order new rubber air box boots to go back in with it. 
Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stock Air Box VS Pod Filters 04 Jul 2021 15:39 #851276

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

I remember that article, good stuff! Going through this on my Z1-R at this very moment. Will soon order new rubber air box boots to go back in with it. 

Don't confuse those style of pods with the ones Mirko makes, they have virtually nothing in common. The reason those style pods  are so hard to tune is the disturbed air they produce  due to having no velocity stacks and their propensity to be effected by side winds in normal riding conditions {real world experience}. That test would have been much better if they'd also compared velocity stacks as they have the same function of the factory setup but with more flow, laminar flow is the important factor here....   If you aren't well versed in tuning carbs just use the stock airbox, if your after performance and can tune a bike have a chat to Mirko. As a side note, I will be using an 810 kit on my 750 ,  a stage 3 jet kit with and higher than stock compression...

Last edit: by 750 R1.

Stock Air Box VS Pod Filters 04 Jul 2021 15:52 #851280

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
Good stuff 650ed, thank you.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Stock Air Box VS Pod Filters 04 Jul 2021 18:22 #851292

• 750 R1
  • User
Just remember that article was written almost 40 years ago, It doesn't mention the effect of the velocity stacks on incoming airflow, it doesn't mention volumetric efficiency of an airbox and what that means, they had no access to dynojet kits, as there weren't any, There are at least 3 manufactures of well made jet kits available for CV , or any carbs now.  One or two jet kit manufacturers build the kits to suit your specifications, they used the wrong jets at one stage and didn't even know the difference until told, didn't even mention disturbed air at the carb throat and side wind effect on tuning pods. Things have come a long way since then, that article was more experimental than a source of recommendations to use for tuning, because by their own admission, they never got it right....
The following user(s) said Thank You: JR

Stock Air Box VS Pod Filters 04 Jul 2021 19:56 #851294

• Move0ver
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56
Anyone have a good filter solution that allows you to run the "stock" velocity stacks on keihin CR carbs?
Ive seen the Ram Air filters used, but I'm thinking more of an airbox that gives proper offset from the mouth of the stack.
I suppose its something that would have to be custom made.

Stock Air Box VS Pod Filters 04 Jul 2021 21:14 #851298

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
  • Thank you received: 47

Don't confuse those style of pods with the ones Mirko makes, they have virtually nothing in common. The reason those style pods  are so hard to tune is the disturbed air they produce  due to having no velocity stacks and their propensity to be effected by side winds in normal riding conditions {real world experience}. That test would have been much better if they'd also compared velocity stacks as they have the same function of the factory setup but with more flow, laminar flow is the important factor here....   If you aren't well versed in tuning carbs just use the stock airbox, if your after performance and can tune a bike have a chat to Mirko. As a side note, I will be using an 810 kit on my 750 ,  a stage 3 jet kit with and higher than stock compression...
Not to worry, I'm not confusing anything about the two different filter designs, we just want more real world test info, mainly a direct comparison to common pod filters readily available. I don't know too many people that are willing to lay out upwards of 300 simoleons for pod filters that have no test data available for comparison to what's on the market now for $60. BTW, my comment about remembering that article was just that, I remember it, it's not my credo . But I have been doing this for over 40 years. I like the dyno tuned jet kits we have available now much better than the old days.
Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

Stock Air Box VS Pod Filters 04 Jul 2021 22:11 #851299

• 750 R1
  • User
Cool,  I don't look at them as pods in the same vein as normal pods as they aren't throw away when worn out, you just put new foam on them and keep using them, theoretically they should last as long as the airbox, and at a guess we are both around the same age  so that should see me through....

I'll definitely post results and tunability when I'm up and running, this bloody covid thing is slowing down parts supply for me, I have stuff  stuck in the UK that should be coming soon, I need the parts for the engine rebuild....

• Page: