• Page:

TOPIC:

Recent TV Spot 28 May 2024 16:50 #899899

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 2016
Good Job Steve

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Recent TV Spot 28 May 2024 17:03 #899900

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 278
Nice setup you guys have. We have something similar here. Except its just a parking lot no lines and you cant use your own bike.. You have to pass the course to get your license. 
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

Recent TV Spot 28 May 2024 19:52 #899905

• KZQ
  • KZQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1306

Nice setup you guys have. We have something similar here. Except its just a parking lot no lines and you cant use your own bike.. You have to pass the course to get your license. 

It's the similar here you must pass the course, which includes a riding evaluation, in order to get a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license. The basic course includes an online portion which typically takes six hours. The riding portion consists of two four hour sessions. I often tell my students that I never imagined I'd ever find anything more fun than riding a motorcycle that was until I started teaching motorcycle safety.
Bill/KZQ
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Last edit: by KZQ.

Recent TV Spot 29 May 2024 04:59 #899931

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 686
Nice vid!  Rider training here is under the auspices of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF).  Yours is a very similar course plan & practice track layout to the MSF Beginning Rider Course.

When The Lovely Z1BEBE decided she wanted to learn to Ride circa ~1989 or so, slmjim insisted she take the MSF Beginning Rider Course.  At the time slmjim had been Ridin' street bikes for 18 yrs. or so with  no formal training, and took the beginner course (on his '74 Z1-A) along with Z1BEBE on her practice bike.  I'll (slmjim) willingly & happily admit I learned stuff.  The most important was conscious knowledge of countersteering.  A close second was fine-tuning of lane positioning.  We've gone on to the Advanced course also.  Both highly recommended!

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE 
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Recent TV Spot 31 May 2024 06:34 #900046

• KZQ
  • KZQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1306

...  A close second was fine-tuning of lane positioning...

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE 

Hi SlimJim,
Would you post something you learned about lane positioning?
Thanks
Bill/KZQ
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Recent TV Spot 31 May 2024 07:58 #900052

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2689
BTW Bill, I enabled downloading on the platform so you can save the clip to your computer. Normally I don't for obvious reasons. 
Steve

Recent TV Spot 31 May 2024 12:32 #900056

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 528

here in norway it is a long journey to get licence for riding heaviest bikes

The license test requirements in the US are shockingly simple.  I took my motorcycle license test in the mid '90s in New York State.  I was very surprised by how easy it was.  I believe I left the parking lot and rode about 3 blocks passing through a single stop light.  Then I turned right onto a quiet side street and the instructor asked me to do a figure 8.  He didn't like my long figure 8, so I did a tighter figure 8.  Then he told me to ride back where we started.  That was the whole test.  It was silly.  And with "M" on my license that I can ride any motorcycle anywhere in the US and I never have to take another test.

I have always wanted to do the MSF course.  The opportunity to practice is always good.
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Recent TV Spot 31 May 2024 14:05 #900058

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 2062
It is also hugely complex in the UK these days, up until the early 80's you could simply apply for a provisional licence at 17 then ride up to a 250 on "L" plates indefinitely. The with the arrival of the likes of the Suzuki X7 and RD250lc that got reduced to 125cc and all the 250's became worthless as everyone did their test on a 125 then moved to a 400 (which brought a flood of import GSXR, VFR, ZXR 400's) these days there CBT (compulsory basic training) and multiple licence levels and power limits based on age and experience with the unlimited licence out of reach until you are at least 24 years old. Funny how if you are from a privileged background you can still take a car test at 18 then go and buy a Ferrari etc   Also you have to pass a "theory" test before you can take your practical (which must be within 6 months of the theory test or you start again) for both bike and car

Last edit: by Wookie58.

Recent TV Spot 31 May 2024 14:48 #900061

• Kelly E
  • User
  • Never Give Up. Never Surrender
  • Thank you received: 328
I took my test the first time in 1982 on my 82' Honda V45 Sabre. After you had your car drivers license there was a fairly simple written test. After passing that you had to schedule a skill test. Once you passed you were allowed to ride any bike.

Later the state changed to a two part license, under 500cc and over 500cc. It depended on the size of the bike you took the test on. After breaking my back in 97' I let my endorsement lapse so in 2017 I got another bike and had to get my endorsement back. Now the state dropped the size limitation license and subcontracted the process. It's all done by private contractors and it's back to a written test and then a skill test. The tests are much more difficult and comprehensive now.

The down side is that now you can take the test on a 200cc bike, pass it and then get on your 1800cc bike and ride, that's scary.
The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda Sabre 700
1984 Honda Interceptor 1000
1994 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
And more

Last edit: by Kelly E.

Recent TV Spot 03 Jun 2024 06:08 #900148

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE 

Hi SlimJim,
Thanks
Bill/KZQ

Gladly.

This is slmjim.  I was Ridin' north to look at a '73 Z1 in Martinsville, IN we ended up buying.

The Lovely Z1BEBE just happened to not accompany me on this trip because she was a little under the weather that day.  In hindsight, that was extremely fortunate, as her not feeling well probably at least saved her from injury, and may well have saved her life.  Fate? 

It was a sunny, warm & dry, early afternoon.  I'm alone on The Lovely Z1BEBE's '75 Z1-B, northbound on a very lightly-traveled stretch of US-31 in southern IN between Crothersville and Seymour.  Smooth, dry, two-lane blacktop.  Speed limit 55 MPH, I'm probably running 55 ~ 60 as usual, no faster.

I'm lane-left as usual, and on a straight stretch.  Far line of sight in both directions.  Don't remember if there was a double yellow or not.  As I approach a structure's parking lot entrance that's on my right, I observe a car stopped in the oncoming lane with it's turn signal flashing, waiting for me to pass before turning left across my lane and into the parking lot to my right.  Critically, I also note that the front wheels of the car were already sharply angled across my lane in the direction of said parking lot.

As with any situation involving a scenario where a vehicle threatens to turn left across my path, I move lane-right.  At that same time, I notice a large SUV approaching behind the car that's waiting for me to pass.  In that same instant I also note that the SUV is in a seriously nose-down stance.  In the next instant the SUV rear ends the waiting car HARD, launching the car at me because it's wheels were already turned toward my lane.  I hear the sound of the impact and, as if in slow motion, then, and even to this day, I see the left corner of the car's front bumper coming at me, and then passing behind my rear wheel by maybe, maybe three feet and a tiny split second in time.  The next instant I ride through a shower of very hot antifreeze and I'm blasted with bits of hard debris knocked loose from the impact.  I remember the antifreeze covering my helmet shield, its odor, and the sound & feel of small hard bits hitting my helmet, shield, arms of my leather jacket, chest, left knee & shin.  Can't see through the antifreeze & crud.  Hot antifreeze that got through the chin bar vent is on my lips.

I'm still rolling lane-right now, off the throttle, close to the white fog line.  I raise my shield 'cause I can't see through the antifreeze & general crud, brake & stop on the right shoulder.  Turn my head to look behind me & I see the car that was rear-ended sitting well past my lane and probably 15 ~ 20 ft. into the parking lot entrance it was waiting to turn into.  Rear end was crushed into the back seat.  I turn around & carefully ride through the debris & antifreeze to the same parking lot entrance, 'cause there's no safe place to park on the right shoulder. I enter & park well out of the way.  Seems like the parking lot was for a repair garage, maybe a feed store, don't remember exactly.  People were already running past me out of the building toward the car.

I dismount, shed my helmet & observe the scene.  Car askance in the entrance.  Main roadway wet with antifreeze, and scattered debris both large & small from damaged vehicles.  That's when I notice the large SUV that had rear-ended the car so hard sitting probably 25 yards out in a plowed field the other side of the road.  Front end was crushed back, steaming from broken cooling system.  A few guys running toward it.  I turned my attention to the car that had been struck.  Driver & passenger were clearly injured.

The rest is kind of a blur.  For some reason, I very clearly remember one of the first EMS responders looking straight at my bike for a few seconds then me, asking if I was OK.  I say 'yes'.  He turned his attention to the car's occupants.  In a short time there were ambulances, fire engine, multiple police.  Gave my statements & contact info to all involved.

Occupants of the car were seriously injured.  SUV occupants, not so much.  All were taken by ambulance.  That's about all I know.  I continued on my trip & returned home safely late that afternoon.  Z1BEBE opened the front door when I got home, not knowing what had happened.  I hugged her on the front porch, shed a few tears & told her I'd been involved in an accident, but was unhurt.  Gave her the details a little later after I'd shed my Ridin' gear.

A few years before this happened, a close friend of ours had been killed in a traffic accident.  He left for work that morning, never came home.  Ever since, Z1BEBE and i always say "I Love You" to each other any time we part ways, and any time we don our helmets together.  That's the last thing I want her to hear and, the last thing I want to hear if anything unfortunate happens.

My takeaways:
1)  Moving lane-right as soon as I noticed the car waiting to turn left across my lane very likely saved me from serious injury.  Might have saved my life.
2)  A critical mistake was not looking past the waiting car to see if anything was developing behind it.  Like playing chess, I only looked one move ahead.  But, and this is a BIG but, If I had noticed the SUV as a developing indirect threat, my first instinct would have been to brake at the same time I moved lane-right.  Had I slowed, I suspect I would have been in the car's path as it crossed into my lane after being rear-ended, instead of it passing behind me.  Sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.  Fate?
3)  If Z1BEBE had accompanied me on this trip, she likely would have been lane-right on my five, as per usual.  She probably would have been struck by the car.  Unfortunate timing.
3)  ATGATT protects from more than road rash & weather.  Hot antifreeze & various airborne hard bits are a threat too.  Of note, had I been in an open face lid, simple sunglasses likely would have proven to be ineffective in protecting my eyes from very hot antifreeze, and face from hard bits.  I had to replace that shield because of the nicks, scratches and a small crack that were caused by the impact of hard bits.  As it was, my face & eyes remained dry behind a full-face lid & shield, except for a splash of hot antifreeze got through the chin bar vent.  Tastes yucky...
4)  Just 'cause it wasn't your fault doesn't mean it's any less deadly.  Hug your loved one(s) when you leave.  Say "I Love You."  Do all that before you don your helmets if you're Ridin' together.  It might be the last thing they ever hear from you.  Or you from them.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ, JR, TexasKZ, Street Fighter LTD, sf4t7, SWest, Wookie58

Last edit: by slmjim+Z1BEBE.

Recent TV Spot 03 Jun 2024 06:32 #900153

• Buzz Nichols
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 106
Video works in Singapore. Go figure.

Good on you for helping folks get into riding safely—I wish I hadn't spent so long learning dangerous object lessons on a bike!
Is this thing working? Is this thing on?

1978 KZ1000 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Recent TV Spot 04 Jun 2024 06:14 #900210

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE 

Hi SlimJim,
Thanks
Bill/KZQ

In hindsight, my post of the accident didn't really address your request, as it only addressed moving lane-right when observing the waiting car, so here goes:
I (we) learned that lane positioning means moving around in the 'bubble' that is the buffer between the Rider and potential threat(s).  And that as the Rider/bike moves, the 'bubble' moves with them.  Adjust one's lane position as much as practical for maximum buffer effectiveness.

Position oneself for conspicuity.  If the Rider can see the driver's eyes/face in the side view mirror, it's more likely the driver can see the bike.  The Beginning Rider Course also defined the 'blind spot' of other vehicles pretty precisely.  Adjust lane position & speed to not linger in it; pass through it quickly.

Don't be reluctant to safely and randomly move around in your lane as needed or desired.  Doing so adds conspicuity, because it stands out among other vehicles that are (hopefully) relatively static in their lane positions.

The center of a lane collects oil & debris because it's not continuously swept clean by vehicle tires.  I already knew that, but I see far too many motorcycle operators Ridin' lane-center.

When in the left lane of, say, an interstate highway or other multi-lane road, Ridin' lane-right can accomplish two things:
1) Safely hugging the broken white line to one's right will usually give the Rider a better line of sight between the two lanes, and much farther sight distance ahead than Ridin' lane left.  Far line of sight and being able to observe the behavior of two (or more) lanes simultaneously will offer advance warning of developing trouble ahead.  It should go without saying to move lane-left when passing vehicles that are in the lane to the right.
2) Ridin' lane-right in this scenario offer much more maneuvering room to the left, including the left portion of the lane plus a paved left shoulder that may only be a few feet wide.  Ridin' lane-left only offers the shoulder as maneuvering room.

Safely take whatever steps necessary to avoid being behind a vehicle for any length of time you can't see over, around or through.  Monitor as far ahead as possible.

Hope this answers your request mo' better.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ

• Page: