• Page:

TOPIC:

Bad advice 23 Jul 2017 07:47 #767527

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2635
If I get three uses out of one I'm lucky. Normally I'd have a new one on the shelf but listening to morons I got caught without one. That's what I'm mad about. My fault listening to a KNOW IT ALL.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bad advice 24 Jul 2017 06:44 #767594

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Larry summed it up pretty well on the KZ Market.
Steve

Larry Cavanaugh The old thick OEM KZ cam cover gaskets literally lasted for years. The new ones are thin, like J motors have always had and frequently tear when cover is removed. Here's a tip that works for the new thin gaskets.

Apply a very thin coat of engine case sealer like Permatex MotoSeal to the cover side of the gasket. Don't coat the engine side. The gasket will bond to the engine and allow careful removal of the cover, usually without tearing the gasket....if you're careful.

If you use the old Tappet bore tool to hold the bucket down then you will want the process reversed. Allow gasket to stick to cam cover and not bond to the head.

Don't overdue it with the sealer so that it squishes out inside the head. I've done this for years and I promise you it works if you do it correctly

Bad advice 24 Jul 2017 06:50 #767595

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
He also said this.
Larry Cavanaugh Back in the early 80s when I was a dealership mechanic, we coated everything so we could do tune ups on the side and not rip the gasket.....nobody wanted to pay us what we were worth so we did lots of side work....

Thanks Larry.
Steve

Bad advice 24 Jul 2017 07:20 #767599

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
My original lasted till 13 when I sent it in for re working...... it was stuck to the motor side and I always greased the top and cover lightly..... still ok for the one I replaced doing the same (checked valves only 2 times though so that can change next time). Had the first one off maybe 8 or 9 times for checking and painting and polishing it a couple times. Was a better thicker gasket though like Larry said so maybe I'll pick up a extra sometime too.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Last edit: by KZB2 650.

Bad advice 24 Jul 2017 18:37 #767640

• DFIGPZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 122
Yes Tons of Bad info on here I try to help someone then end up in a pissing match so i try to keep to myself but use a genuine Kawasaki Valve cover gasket you MAY IF YOU ARE LUCKY get 2 uses if it was tighten properly.
1984 750 Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Bad advice 24 Oct 2017 21:18 #773683

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
  • Thank you received: 55
Gezz, I wasted a bunch of $ replacing the cam cover gasket each time it came off! Never considered reusing the gasket until recently when I had to pull a freshly installed cam cover off for something stupid. Same with the cam end plugs. Considering going to Aluminum.
Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

• Page: