first time trying bondo/custom emblems

More
22 Nov 2006 14:29 #94103 by 77KZ650
I picked up a can of bondo(body filler) at canadain tire today to work on my side covers. step 3 of the instructions says to add so much "cream hardender" to a certain amount of the filler.... the only thing in the can is the filler, do I have to buy the hardener seperatly or is it supposed to come with the filler or do I even need it? :blink:
thx
Scott

edit: Upon closer inspection of the can, I found this: NET WT 1 Lb 14 OZ FILLER 1.0 OZ HARDENER
is this stuff premixed?

Post edited by: 77KZ650, at: 2006/11/22 17:33

Post edited by: 77KZ650, at: 2006/11/29 22:15

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
22 Nov 2006 14:39 #94107 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic first time trying bondo
Nope. Not pre-mixed. ;)

Should be a little squeeze tube of red or blue or maybe even green goo that came along with it - usually under a pop-top plastic lid on the can.

If not, CT prolly has extra on the shelf, a little tube for not more than $2 CDN, I'd hope.

A little dab 'll do ya. Per ounce of bondo, a 3 gram squirt will be enough. The setting time of the bondo/hardener mix will vary depending on the amount of hardener goo used.

One tube of hardener goo should easily handle more than one can of bondo.

More
22 Nov 2006 14:47 #94109 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic first time trying bondo
thx PT, theres definatly room for a tube under the plastic cover(theres a regular paint can type cover under that) looks like Ill be heading back up to ct again... not that I mind going to the place, I could browse through the stuff every day. I went there to get a $9 can of bondo and some sandpaper, and along with a few other things I "had" to pick up after I saw them, I ended up spending over $75:laugh:

01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
22 Nov 2006 15:07 #94115 by Pterosaur
You betcha. Toy stores for older boys. :laugh:

Hey, while you're there, might wanna take a gander for a pack of *bondo spreaders* - little spatula-looking things without handles. Usually yellow. Come in a graduated-size assortment, usually 3 per. From the sounds of it, you'll only need the smaller.

That is, unless you want to do it all with your fingers. :P

Better limber up my typing pinkies, I smell a weekend's worth of questions coming my way... :cheer:

• wireman
  • Visitor
22 Nov 2006 19:08 #94170 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic first time trying bondo
and under no circumstances go to relieve yourself with any left over bondo on your hands,dont ask how i know this! :S :blush: :huh: :dry: :blink: :blink: :blink: :unsure: :ohmy: :sick: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :P

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
22 Nov 2006 19:19 #94176 by Pterosaur
wireman wrote:

and under no circumstances go to relieve yourself with any left over bondo on your hands,dont ask how i know this! :S :blush: :huh: :dry: :blink: :blink: :blink: :unsure: :ohmy: :sick: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :P

Tech answer:

Look (or feel) familiar? :blink: :woohoo:

(hint: Bondo curing is an exothermic reaction) ;)
Attachments:

More
22 Nov 2006 19:20 #94177 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic first time trying bondo
Do not use too much hardner. The bondo will start to dry too fast as you spread it around. Pieces will start to peel off and it will get hard to work with. As a reference a dab of bondo about the diameter of a soda can mixed with hardner the diameter of a dime should be about right.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

• wireman
  • Visitor
22 Nov 2006 19:40 #94182 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic first time trying bondo
Pterosaur wrote:

wireman wrote:

Tech answer:

Look (or feel) familiar? :blink: :woohoo:

(hint: Bondo curing is an exothermic reaction) ;)

yeah thats the one!:blink: :S :pinch: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :P

More
22 Nov 2006 20:53 #94193 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic first time trying bondo
yikes, thx for the tips guys

More
23 Nov 2006 04:49 #94253 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic first time trying bondo
When looking for the 'bondo spreaders'. Try to get the same color of the hardener, pink or yellow.
That color of the spreader is the right mix for the bondo. Too light, and it won't harden well or take longer. Too dark and it will harden up faster than you can imagine!

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
24 Nov 2006 12:33 #94569 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic first time trying bondo
I have to ask... why are you using Bondo on plastic side covers? It is intended for use on steel surfaces... like your gas tank. As far as the "spreader color" goes, I can't imagine the color helping since when you mix Bondo filler with hardener, it is a dark reddish brown and when it cures it gets almost light pink. What fix are you attempting on the sidecovers?

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2006/11/24 15:35

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
24 Nov 2006 12:50 #94572 by Pterosaur
wiredgeorge wrote:

I have to ask... why are you using Bondo on plastic side covers? It is intended for use on steel surfaces... like your gas tank.

Because it works.

It works really, really well. It adheres well, it flexes well, it has similar thermal expansion properties, it loves being primed and painted over, it's easy to work with - and it's cheap.

I've been doing it for over 30 years, and knew a whole generation of body-people that did it before me.

No need to take my word for it - but it'll do nicely. ;)

As far as the "spreader color" goes, I can't imagine the color helping since when you mix Bondo filler with hardener....

That one has me hanging too. I've probaly spread a TON of bondo over the years, and that's the first I've heard of it... :huh: