Gas tank mod before repaint

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
21 Sep 2006 19:47 #78624 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic Gas tank mod before repaint
Clifftex wrote:

I am turning it into an electric.

:sick: Why couldn't you have started with something other than a KZ?

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2006 11:44 #78774 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic Gas tank mod before repaint
Clifftex wrote:

As to the reason for the mod, I hope you fellows don't disapprove too much, but I am turning it into an electric.

I am so much interested in this project. Wow, a KZ Sparky! If I had more battery/electrical knowledge, I would find an old roling chassis and do this too.

There is a guy here in Berkeley who did this to a Suzuki GS. He said it ran well, but I am not real sure I believe him. He was an electrical engineering genius, but his metal fabrication skills were very crude. He later decided to power something else with all the electrical gear, and strippped it off the Suzuki. I was going to buy the frame from him, but it became clear that the electrical and other gear needed to redo the job right was going to cost big bucks, so I bailed on the project. I do believe I might try to fabricate an electric motorcycle sometime in the future.

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
22 Sep 2006 12:39 #78786 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic Gas tank mod before repaint
Come on, guys, this one's easy!

I am about to modify my KZ650 gas tank. I need to cut into it. Is there a solution I can put into it so that the sparks from the cut wheel don't cause the tank to explode in my face?

Car exhaust! Honest! Two things:
#1. It's inert. Any gas molecules knocked loose will be non-flamable until completely dispersed.
#2. It's warm. It will bake any gas fumes trapped in heavy rust in very little time.
I've seen this work with a tank that was just emptied, and it was safe to work on in a couple of hours. In fact, if you leave the hose from your exhaust pipe in there, it can be worked on in 15 minutes or so.
If the tank is filled with carbon monoxide from a car's exhaust, you can still weld on it with gas still in it. What, no guts?

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx