New Back End .......Better or Worse????

More
13 Sep 2006 16:28 #76543 by mykznme
RonKZ650 wrote:

Fair enough, I'll try my best to keep my mouth shut. It's mighty tough to do on this subject for me because I just hate repaints so intensely it brings my blood to a boil every time I read about one, let alone look at them. :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

sorry ron i dont TRY to be an asshole but sometimes it happens:S
i understand that you havnt a good experiance with repaints but please remember that there ARE some painters that do good work.
alot of the time when you go to maaco or the like you get an "apprentice painter" using leftovers from repaints.
paint is only good for so long before it starts to breakdown. most bodyshops will unload this paint on unsuspecting customers to save coin.
mix that with inexperience and you have a recipe for disaster.
im woth you on the fact that rattlecan repaints are kind of pointless but in some peoples eyes so is spending upwards 0f $400.00 for quality paint.

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2006 17:38 #76559 by steell
It's not the cost of the paint that gets me, it's the cost of the paint plus the cost of a good painter to do it right, and I just can't afford that kind of dough.

And I only repaint when the existing paint is beyond hope and I can't find parts on eBay with good matching paint.

When my original 750 twin got the metalflake silver with purple flames paint job, I took off the good parts and had parts with bad paint repainted. I still have the originals :)

KD9JUR

More
13 Sep 2006 19:42 #76587 by HENRYJ
Ron-
The only reason I repainted in the first place was the fact that the origional paint was in bad shape. I used rattlecan lacquer. Six coats of flat black, buffed to a high gloss, then four coats of clear. The $30 it cost was not a big deal. It held up for three years untill the bike laid on it's side for 10 minutes with gas constantly flowing over it. Drips and bird &*it were no problem.

My biggest problem is the green and white monstrosity behind the bike. My garage (paint booth) is occupied by a 1955 Willys Wagon. It has been restored from the ground up. It runs, but needs glass and upholstry to be finished. Anyhow - time (life with a 2 year old) does not allow me a full weekend to devote to cleaning the garage, pulling out the Willys, doing a proper respray, and putting everything back.

Rattlecan lacquer is a good friend of mine, but requires some love to really show it's worth. I have had a really hard time finding anyone (professional painters) in Memphis who will touch a motorcycle. And when I have thay want $500 to paint it!

So I think I am going to try the polished tank for a bit.....after all, I can always paint it!

More
13 Sep 2006 20:13 #76594 by loudhvx
I only re-paint with stucco for that textured look.

More
14 Sep 2006 07:15 #76653 by JUSTICE114
I'd like to Rhino-Coat my bike!!! That'd be COOL and it wont scratch.;) Oh yeah.... Isnt it ridiculous that a bike paint job will cost so much money for the small area of body, but you can almost paint your dam car for the same price???:huh: Why is that? Anyone? Just curious.;)

More
18 Sep 2006 15:43 #77705 by HENRYJ
Ok here is another option-
Tank #2?
Attachments: