Seat Build w/pics

More
06 Aug 2006 10:29 #67487 by ronjones
Seat Build w/pics was created by ronjones
Since I can't do any michanical work, because I'm waiting for parts, I thought I'd do a little work on making a seat. This is what I've been able to accomplish in a couple of hours w/an electric knife. A good rule of thumb w/working w/foam is that it's better to work w/thicker foam because you can always take some off. The lighter foam is much less dense than the black foam and I expect it to crush down, severly, when I get a cover on it.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2006 10:30 #67488 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Seat Build w/pics
early carving

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades
Attachments:

More
06 Aug 2006 10:30 #67489 by ronjones
more carving

Attachments:

More
06 Aug 2006 10:31 #67490 by ronjones
more carving

Attachments:

More
06 Aug 2006 10:33 #67492 by ronjones
shaping continues

Attachments:

More
06 Aug 2006 10:34 #67493 by ronjones
still shaping

Attachments:

More
06 Aug 2006 10:34 #67494 by ronjones
1st approximation on bike

Attachments:

More
07 Aug 2006 06:35 #67716 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Seat Build w/pics
Why the big hump on the back? I know the road racers use it so they have something to brace against but why on a street bike? Do you have an angle grinder? With a cutting wheel attached it will work great to smooth out the seat. Much better and easier than trying to smooth it out with a knife. I just got done cutting down a seat for a customers GS450. I cut the big pieces off with a hacksaw and the spent about 5 min smoothing it out with the grinder.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
07 Aug 2006 07:09 #67726 by ronjones
The "big hump" on the back will not be a big hump when I cover it. The light colored foam is much less dense than the black foam, so I'm making it big now so that when I put the cover on it, it will compress into something that should be comfortable for a passenger. I'm using various foam that has come in packageing for some very delicate instruments, some is very dense and some not so much. I'm also trying to make it so that it gives me some lower back support, on longer rides, when I lean back. I don't have a grinder but I do have one of those "spiral saws" that has a 90 degree attachment for putting sanding/grinding disks on. Any idea what size grit I should get? Any other advice/ideas are very welcome.
Thanks for the reply

More
08 Aug 2006 11:51 #68047 by Werewolfx
Replied by Werewolfx on topic Seat Build w/pics
I don't believe it matters what grade you use.

Chris

More
08 Aug 2006 12:10 #68052 by ronjones
Maybe one of the grinding heads I have will work. Thanks

More
08 Aug 2006 12:15 #68055 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Seat Build w/pics
I doubt that the grit size matters. It will be rotating so fast that anything will work. Try it on some left over foam first.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.