Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Headlight basket repair Q 15 Aug 2021 16:22 #853874

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Aloha guys. Now that my bike is ready to receive engine and such, I'm focusing my attentions to small details. No, I'm not trying to make show bike, but somewhat nice one. Thus I been blasting nuts and bolts and painting them (yes, I know plating is lot better but for now, I'm painting these to avoid corrosion). 

Now, to my question. Does anybody know how to repair plastic headlight basket? I mean I know how to fix it physically, but I just don't know what this basket is made out of. Will fiberglass compatible with this basket material? Anybody have any recommendation to what should I use?

I'm not too worried about the crack by the screw mount, but I want to fix the bottom crack where piece has been chipped off. It's at bottom so it won't show unless someone looks at the bike from bottom, but it's just ugly.............
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Headlight basket repair Q 15 Aug 2021 16:33 #853875

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2610
I'd use ABS cement with fiberglass netting.
Steve

Headlight basket repair Q 16 Aug 2021 05:28 #853892

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
Hi Ojisan
Click the Articles tab above and select Technical Tips. First up is a how to repair body panels by Bill and expands on Steve's suggestion with details and photos
goid luck
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Headlight basket repair Q 16 Aug 2021 16:20 #853910

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2671

Hi Ojisan
Click the Articles tab above and select Technical Tips. First up is a how to repair body panels by Bill and expands on Steve's suggestion with details and photos
goid luck

I've used glass fiber and epoxy before with good results.  Prep by removing all paint around the crack area.  Then I flex open the crack and got some epoxy inside, then laminated the glass over the cracks and allowed it to dry.  I like to use some good industrial epoxy like 3M DP420.

Headlight basket repair Q 16 Aug 2021 21:56 #853919

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Thanks for the advises guys.

Yes, I've fixed the body parts before, but the basket feels more hard and brittle, for lack of better word. It's not brittle as it will crumble when you touch it, but with any force, I may do more damage than good. It feels more like thin plexiglass. I know it's not, but it's solid. 

In any case, guess I'll try fiberglass it and see how it will hold.
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Headlight basket repair Q 17 Aug 2021 09:59 #853935

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast
  • Thank you received: 250
I just did a repair with Isopon P40 Glass Fibre Repair Paste and it real hardry, i use a wire wheel to skuff and clean the area and shiny plastic to help mould.
06 Gsf 1200 bandit, 08 Triumph tiger 1010
05 Yam xv1700 , 02 Hon shadow 1100
1975 Z1 (currently working on)
1977 Z1000 ( running and in storage)
1978 Z1000 (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "skinny tank" (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "fat tank (gathering parts)
1979 z1000st (currently working on)
Attachments:

• Page: