Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Newb to painting - I need equipment 03 Aug 2021 19:18 #853115

• SteveKing84
  • SteveKing84's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
I'd like to give my bike (KZ440) some new color - just the tank and smaller pieces - I'm not looking at doing entire frames yet but if now is to spend the money then I will.  My tank has some rust spots and small dents from the PO.  I just bought this:  www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D4NPPQY .  For the paint spraying.  I need me a soda/walnut blaster that can run off electricity, because i don't want to afford an air compressor capable of running these things - they are extremely demanding/expensive!  Anyone of yall will to share some wisdom and help me out?  I'm not familiar with paint - still gotta learn all of that - but I want to use the best paint I can without breaking the bank as well.

Over the past 10 years I've always wanted to own a tiny company that just refurbs two - four bikes a year.  Obviously a blasters and paint setup will be required---among many other things, but here is where I stand now.

What do yall think?  Think you can help this ignorant man?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Newb to painting - I need equipment 04 Aug 2021 08:26 #853138

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
My standard answer  to all newbies wanting to get professional advice is to reach out to member    Paintworkz  ( Ralph Pitlock )
He sells his out formula of paints  and has been a artist  when doing his own paint work.
 He has painted  bikes for my racing team in the past  and is a go to guy  for knowledge 
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Newb to painting - I need equipment 04 Aug 2021 10:56 #853145

• ckahleer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 133
www.spraymax.com/en/products/product/cle...ender/2k-clear-coat/
This clear coat is fuel resistant and you will not ruin your paint job the first time you overfill your fuel tank the way Dupi-color paints will.
I use Dupi-Color for my base coat, as there are hundreds of colors to choose from.
One can is good for two gas tanks and side covers. So have every thing ready to go, shelf life is only a day or so, once activated.
94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
79 KZ400
85 VT 500c
85 VF1100c

Newb to painting - I need equipment 04 Aug 2021 11:37 #853149

• Highway Magician
  • User
  • Thank you received: 34
Be aware that the Spray Max 2K clear is highly toxic (isocyanates).  Ideally, an air-supplied respirator should be used.

Spray it in a well-ventilated area, and wear a good respirator, made for spray-painting (charcoal cartridges and pre-filters),
or an air-supplied mask.  Also, wear tight-fit goggles, and Nitrile gloves.

Motorcycle builder since 1973. Master Tech. Current bike: 1982 GPZ1100B2.

Last edit: by Highway Magician.

Newb to painting - I need equipment 08 Aug 2021 17:40 #853420

• Robb2018
  • User
  • 76 KZ900 73 Z1 A
  • Thank you received: 29

www.spraymax.com/en/products/product/cle...ender/2k-clear-coat/
This clear coat is fuel resistant and you will not ruin your paint job the first time you overfill your fuel tank the way Dupi-color paints will.
I use Dupi-Color for my base coat, as there are hundreds of colors to choose from.
One can is good for two gas tanks and side covers. So have every thing ready to go, shelf life is only a day or so, once activated.

I've also used 2k clear with Duplicolor as a base.  Their Deep Jewel Green comes close to Kawasaki Diamond Dark Green on the KZ900s.  BUT... I had some problems with adhesion when trying to lay the 2k over the Duplicolor for a chemical bond.  Duplicolor is lacquer and the 2k Spraymax is urethane, so first time I laid the 2k over the color about ten minutes after the last coat...  ended up looking great but about a month later it started coming off in sheets... like 6 to 8 square inch sheets.  When I redid it I let the Duplicolor base harden for a week or so, then scuffed it with 600 and shot the clear. I've done 3 bikes this way with no more adhesion problems.  But...  recently saw that Duplicolor came out with a two part lacquer in a spray can like the Spraymax 2k but lacquer.  Sounds interesting.  I imagine you could just let the base coat tack up and shoot it right over the top of it for a good compatible chemical adhesion.  Anyone know anything about this Duplicolor 2k lacquer?

www.motipdupli.com/en/products/dupli-col...pg-1537/tm-1537.html
KZ900; Z1

Newb to painting - I need equipment 08 Aug 2021 20:24 #853426

• F64
  • Away
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 350
Good paint is very expensive.
Follow the manufacturer's tech sheet instructions.
Read the MSDS
Try to stay with one system of paint.
clean clean clean
Prep is extremely important
Wear a respirator. Highway Magician is not joking. These paints can be very dangerous.
Be very careful with paints that contain isocyanates. They will destroy your lungs.
Use a respirator. Ideally, a fresh air system.
axispro.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4

81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

Last edit: by F64.

Newb to painting - I need equipment 11 Aug 2021 17:34 #853614

• PaintWorkz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 68
PPG is a good paint brand and they also have economy lines of paint that are affordable. 

www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ

Newb to painting - I need equipment 17 Aug 2021 11:12 #853941

• SteveKing84
  • User
Anybody use NAPA for their paints?  They can mix any color on the spot.  I'm thinking of going that way because I can see the chip.  There's nowhere else in my town where I can see paint chips.  Also thinking of going 2K on top of it all as well.  Anyone recommend a good primer?  I'll need to do a little bondo work.

Newb to painting - I need equipment 17 Aug 2021 11:39 #853950

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 655
If you go 2K with hardener and thinner make sure you mask yourself well and have really good ventilation. Its got some nasty poison s in it that will mess you up real bad if you breathe in fumes.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Newb to painting - I need equipment 21 Aug 2021 16:28 #854159

• SteveKing84
  • User

If you go 2K with hardener and thinner make sure you mask yourself well and have really good ventilation. Its got some nasty poison s in it that will mess you up real bad if you breathe in fumes.

Have you got a different recommendation instead of going with 2K?  Or just giving me, a well appreciated safety warning

Newb to painting - I need equipment 22 Aug 2021 01:25 #854169

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
Hi Steve, you should wear a good particle filter with any paint but 2K has isocyanates in it which are harmful to your lungs. I've painted 2K products for years and always wore a charcoal  filter mask,  use a good quality cartridge filter mask with charcoal & Particle filters,  make sure it’s a nice fit and you will be protected enough to spray 2k paints.  Remember, if you can smell it, you are breathing it...
The following user(s) said Thank You: SteveKing84

Newb to painting - I need equipment 22 Aug 2021 16:35 #854202

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2671

Hi Steve, you should wear a good particle filter with any paint but 2K has isocyanates in it which are harmful to your lungs. I've painted 2K products for years and always wore a charcoal  filter mask,  use a good quality cartridge filter mask with charcoal & Particle filters,  make sure it’s a nice fit and you will be protected enough to spray 2k paints.  Remember, if you can smell it, you are breathing it...

A charcoal filter mask doesn't fully protect from isocyanate paint.  The pro's use a fresh air feed system into their mask.  That said, I've painted with the stuff on various bike/car projects a number of times before.  I shoot the paint outside in the open air and try to step back if a fog is developing.  I don't have any medical facts but I think for a hobby guy you aren't going to keel over and die anytime soon from the stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SteveKing84